main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Galactic Rules (Vignette)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Indra, Jul 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Title: Galactic Rules
    Author: Indra
    Genre: Vignette
    Disclaimer: The Jedi belong to George Lucas. The plot is mine.

Notes: This story is based on something our priest once told me. He's from Argentina and this actually happened to him when he was trying to get his plane out of the country.

Shaindl did the beta. Thanks! [:D] What would I ever do without you?!
    I changed a few things afterwards, so all mistakes are mine.
    Feedback is greatly appreciated!

Jedi Master Drayan Orbis was tired. Extremely tired. And sore. He knew the reason for both problems. The reason was that he had been at this Sith-forsaken spaceport for almost two days now and his only rest had been in the cheap plastic chairs that lined the walls. He also knew that there wasn't anything he could do about it and that was the third problem. Master Orbis hated to be helpless.

He sighed tiredly again. He had lost count of how many times he had done this in the last 43 hours. 43 hours and 16 minutes. That was another thing he hated. He was growing impatient. He was a Jedi Master for Force?s sake. He shouldn't be getting impatient or doing things like sigh continually or, worse even, fidget. It was unbecoming of a Jedi Master. Not that anyone here knew his identity. He was on his way back from an undercover mission and was not wearing his robes. The mission had gone extremely well and when he had first boarded his ship he had been satisfied with himself and the world around him. That had lasted until he had reached the spaceport of Qurrah and had learned that all flights were grounded. They had given him neither a reason nor information on when he could continue his journey. They hadn't even told him the truth. For there were ships leaving the planet. And he had seen people boarding those ships. Rich people. Influential people. Politicians, celebrities. After all, all sorts of people were passing through Qurrah on their way to all sorts of planets.

Orbis looked about the room once again. The people around him weren't celebrities or anyone else who mattered to those up there. They were people who spent most of their lives working to exhaustion in order to be able to feed their families. There were men, women and children of various species. Orbis saw a Trellian boy of about twelve standard years, who was bouncing a ball up and down and had been doing it for the last half an hour. He saw a human woman who was nursing her infant, while two slightly older girls clung to her simple dress, both on the verge of falling asleep. There were about a hundred others, all trying to find something to do. There were shops across from him and he had seen children peer longingly inside, looking at all the delicious things one could buy. Nobody in this room looked like they could afford to buy food at a spaceport. Most of them looked as if they had never even seen Republic Credits. They were probably emigrants who had done Force-knew-what to be able to get to another planet and start a new life. Because although Qurrah was an important connection port to reach all sorts of worlds, it wasn't a place where one could make a fortune. People here were for the most part farmers and hardly anyone didn't dream of going somewhere else.

Orbis sighed again and immediately winced as he realised what he had done. Sometimes he was relieved that he didn't have a Padawan or he would have probably been confronted with a youth grinning from ear to ear at seeing his Master so impatient. But if he had a Padawan, there would at least be someone to keep him company. Orbis wished for the hundredth time that he had a book with him.
    Suddenly something landed beside him on the plastic chair. He picked it up and recognised the small ball he had seen the Trellian boy with. When he looked up, the boy was staring at him nervously, biting his lip.

Orbis smiled. "Is this yours?"

The boy nodded shyly. The Jedi held the ball out to him and the boy hesitantly took a step forward, snatching the ball from the outstretched hand quickly, but then he

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Awww that wonderfully done! Sad too .. but very well written. I like how you've portrayed Drayan Orbis. He seems to be a very well developed character. I thoroughly enjoyed reading him. Sometimes life isn't fair unfortunately. Great vingette! Nice job. :)

3. MerryWLukefan

MerryWLukefan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2004
    I loved Sierro, even if that was really sad. I'm glad the Jedi didn't want special treatment.

4. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Excellent vignette, and enough of a taste to leave me wanting to know more, both about the situation and the character! Good one, Indra!

5. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Layren Thanks a lot! It's always great to hear that a character is believable. :)

MerryWLukefan Thank you!

Mistress_Renata I hadn't really planned writing anything more about this. But the thought has entered my mind that Sierro and Orbis could be developped for an OC story. Let me know, what you think of it. Oh, and thank you. :D

6. LukesTheMan

LukesTheMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    Yes, sad. But very well written! Congrats on your award! You certainly deserve it. Nicely done here!

7. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Ooh, yes, OC story! You know you want to do it! :D

Loved the changes, Indra. This story is so great, like I told you before. I would never have thought of the waits Jedi would have to make in spaceports.

Congrats on your wins - very, very deserved! :) [:D]

Shaindl

8. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    Very nice. :) I really liked Master Orbis, he just jumped off the screen, The story is made all the sadder that it was based on a real world experience.

9. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    Another wonderful viggie!

10. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    You did a wonderful job with this one, as usual! Congrats on the award, it was well deserved! :D

11. Flashbacca

Flashbacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Wow, Indra !

That was exceptionally well-done and very moving. So sad to think of all the children that he was not able to help and had to leave behind. It made me want to :_|

12. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Sorry for taking so long to reply. I only had 10 minutes on the boards the whole week. Isn't that sad? :(

LukesTheMan Thanks! :)

Shaindl Don't do this. I won't be able to get rid of the bunny. And there's so much I still want to write, but the time...the time... :D

red_rose_knight Thank you. Orbis was kind of easy to write, so I'm glad he was believable.

AnakinsHeir Thank you! :)

VaderLVR64 Thanks a lot. [:D]

Flashbacca Although it's the effect I was aiming for, it's still rather astonishing that it worked. :D Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.