main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC Galactic Senate's Imperial Cafe

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by malkieD2, Sep 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    Ok you got the high prices, all those wonderful 9-11 rules about no knitting or sewing needles, the delays, the limit on how much baggage one can take, the delays, the popping of my frelling ears....

Oh and did I mention the delays!?!

I think the train is better sometimes. :p

2. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    The only way my August could be worse is to add Nevada and Louisiana to the schedule :p

I am hitting Richmond, VA, Dallas/Ft Worth, TX, Phoenix, AZ and Tucson, AZ... IN FLIPPIN' AUGUST! :eek: [face_worried] [face_sweating]

3. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    Pray the a/c doesn't break down on your trip anywhere then! [face_praying]

[face_laugh]

4. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    The only good things are coming from the fact that I get to see my Grandpa for his 79th birthday while I'm in Richmond :) [face_love]

And I get to hang out w/ my friends in the PHXFF/JBS [face_devil]

5. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    Heck yeah that is a good thing and it's always important to find the good things in life where you can. ;)

6. Darth_Minx

Darth_Minx Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2003
    Ugh, flying. My family has the worst luck when flying. Delays are nothing compared to having the entire airport evacuated due to a security breach and then sitting for two hours doing nothing and then finally being able to make your way back through security. That was fun. I've also missed a connecting flight and slept in an aiport (BTW, if you're ever stuck overnight in Minneapolis/St. Paul, be sure to ask where the cots are...would have been nice if someone had told us because a. those seats are really uncomfortable for sleeping, b. they vacuum at 2am, and c. those announcements about not leaving your luggage go on ALL NIGHT!). I've also had my luggage left behind, though that turned out to be not so bad since it was on the next flight and then I got it delivered to our room. But let's just say that flying for me is always an adventure *sigh*

7. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    Now see I completely forgot about the lost luggage!! lol

I'm considering a trip to England in the near future, but by that I mean a couple of years, and I am seriously considering going by ocean liner then by plane. Plus I get to look over and see the dolphins & sharks swimming around, can't get that on a plane. :p

8. Darth_Minx

Mar 20, 2003
    Yeah, I'd have to store up leave for three years before I could take an ocean liner...and then I'd get there and have to come straight home :p

9. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    Well yeah but if I'm going to run all over England and all over Europe for that matter, might as well take a leave of absence and just take the boat over the pond. :D

10. Darth_Twilight

Darth_Twilight Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 14, 2005
    Funny you should all be talking about travel since I just flew back into town this morning. *sigh*. The flight itself was fine, it was traveling with my impossible mother that was not fine.

I'm so freaking jet lagged its not even funny. Blah.

11. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    Chrissy's back!! [face_dancing]

So buy me anything nice!?! [face_whistling]

Just kidding, did you get to see King Tut while in LA?

If you did, you did tell him I said to get his rear over to Philly right? 8-}

I so need a straight jacket emotion con, and a drinking one as well. [face_idea]

12. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002

I don't have those issues...must just be you

13. Darth_Minx

Mar 20, 2003
    JSat, you don't knit?!? :p

14. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    I think what J-Sat is saying is that I have issues. 8-}

*Still wants a straight jacket emotion con.....for J-Sat*

15. PlayzOboe

PlayzOboe Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 8, 2005
    I have no issues with flying, I used to fly single engine props great fun! Yes baggage was my problem at C3...because of lack of parking spots and poor sports at LaGuardia I almost missed my plane, and because of heightened security concerns, my luggage didn't make it on board with me...so I spent the rest of the night panicking because my badge and medication was IN MY SUITCASE!!!! ack!

Sarah

16. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    Sarah, repeat after me, no more flying to big cons....

I know for a fact when it's time for me to venture to Dragon Con or possiblily C4, I have to drive again just for the simple fact that if something were to happen to my costumes during the flight, heads will roll!! lol

17. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    For that very reason, medication should never be packed in luggage, it should always be in your carry-on. You never know when your luggage is going to be lost.

18. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    Travel Lessons Learned:

Carry on should always include the following:
    Deodorant
    Toothbrush & travel size toothpaste
    Medication
    ID/Papers/Tickets/etc (all important documents of any kind)
    Underwear (trust me, you can always make do on clothes for a second day, but fresh undies are vital)
    Distracionary Material (Books, PDA's, Cell's, Laptops, Magazines, etc.)
    Anything that is IMPOSSIBLE to replace and legal to transport on a plane

With those items you can survive anything until your bags arrive. :)

19. Darth_Minx

Mar 20, 2003
    Medication I agree, but most hotels carry emergency toiletries complimentary to their guests. I don't feel the need to bring tootbrush & toothpaste. I've never brought underwear either...I guess I like to live on the edge :p

20. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    And if you are stuck in an airport, you won't have that niceity ;)

I got snowed in at the FARGO, ND INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (a daily flight to Saskatchewan DOES NOT make one an international airport :p [face_not_talking]). Without my trusty carry on, I would have been seriously screwed! [face_worried] Also, it is also a good idea to throw a couple snacky type things in there (Cracker packs, jerky, etc.), just in case you are stuck in a po-dunk airport w/ no food service and they clean out the 2 vending machines in the first 30 minutes of a 28 hour blizzard lock down :p

21. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    The more I hear these stories, the more I say I'm taking a big ole' boat when I go to England! [face_laugh]

*Starts thinking about what/who to bring to feed the sharks with on the way....*

22. Darth_Twilight

Darth_Twilight Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 14, 2005
    What goes into my carry on, Jewelry (Gotta have priorities), camera, cell phone charger, books or magazines (Why didn't I bring a magazine on this CA trip? *smacks forehead*), contact lens supplies, Meds, and hair clips and elastics. Souveniers that I can't live without if the bags get lost (Vader in the meditation chamber toy rode in my carry on this time, LOL.)

Usually for jewelry I try not to bring something that I'll cry over if lose.

I don't usually carry clothes with me on the carry on, but as far as packing, I usually bring one set more of clothing than I have days. 4 days = 5 sets of clothes, including underwear. You never know if you get wet or hot or drop food all over yourself or something and you'll need that extra set.

And please, all of you, do your selves a favor and put your shampoo and toothpaste and other squishy stuff in zip lock bags, I've had more than my fair of soapy explosions in my suitcase.

23. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    I do that regardless of if I'm flying or driving somewhere. You never know when a bottle is going to brust and there goes your clothes! lol

I saw someone pack a full size, brand new bottle of shampoo and it exploded!!! :eek:

I also take travel size bottles of that type of stuff so it doesn't over take my luggage.

All this talk about traveling makes me wish I was going to Dragon Con this year instead of next year. :(

24. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    Another little tip... Scotch tape your deodorant closed. Totally works and helps in the space saving thing (easier to stash a little stick or whatever, than a big plastic bag filled w/ hard plastic stuff).

25. Darth_Minx

Mar 20, 2003
    Yeah, we definitely do the ziploc bag thingy for our cosmetics. See, I'm of the opinion that if you can't brush your teeth for one night it won't kill you. So in our carry on goes snackies for the flight and books/games/magazines/cards for entertainment. My purse does have a lot of stuff in it, though, that's useful. And I've been stuck in an airport overnight before, but fortunately it wasn't completely podunk and they did have food :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.