main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chatt, TN Galacticon anyone?

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by skip1, Jan 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    Hello,
    i was curious if any of you attend "galacticon" there in chattanooga?
    Alot of us are looking at coming this march and it would be great to meet up with the Locals,so to speak.

i cant seem to find an updated site but here is last years,
    http://www.galacticoninc.com/index.htm

There is a star trek lean to the event but the organizers want star wars there now too.
    hopefully some of you can make it over,

Cya there,
    Skip
    Southern Outpost
    www.501stso.com

2. Vesper2112

Vesper2112 FF President & CR, Chattanooga, TN star 4

Nov 14, 2003
    Hmmmmm. Interesting.... We were actually planning out our convention schedule and I honestly wasn't aware of this one. I know Chattacon is in a couple weeks. Anyway, I'd love to look into going and meeting up with the guys from the 501st (and I'm still interested in a 'trooper outfit, but that's another subject).

I'm wondering... did they contact you about going? We decided against trying to host anything at Chattacon this year as we're still getting our feet wet and didn't want to take on too much at the start. However, we planned on doing something for the Episode III premier. Galacticon might be a good warmup to it...

3. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    i did not know about this either, so this is pretty cool. Thanks, Skip. We'll talk about it and decide on something (soon, hopefully). :)

4. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    we werent contacted,per say......
    one of our newer members in the northern alabama area knows someone involved in running that con.when the con folks heard about that they asked her to get us to come.
    coincedently, alot of us will be traveling that same weekend through chattanooga headed to atlanta for the st.pats day parade we are in.
    we are thinking about doing the parade sat. and then heading back to chattanooga for the con that afternoon.
    we may even stay there at the con friday night.
    it doesn cost anything to get in the hotel and go to the party rooms,usually only the dealer rooms and panels will use badges or something.so id plan on going and seeing what its all about.

as for armor,we can discuss that there..........

5. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    I think we have a few interested, so we'll be contacting the people at Galacticon to see if they'd be intereted in us doing anything with them. Either way, I think at least a couple of us might be checking it out. We want a good feel of the other sci-fi groups in the area as well.

6. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    so we missed Chattacon....i think we should try to make it to Galacticon, even if it's just to stop by and drop off some info. I got an email from someone with Galaticon, but i don't remember what they said, lol...i guess i'll go recheck that soon, m'kay? it wasn't much, just kinda "if you want to do something at galaticon, please let us know" blahblahblah....

but we should have our postcards by then (hopefully!), so we'll have something to distribute :)

7. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    as of the other day,
    webve got a number of people heading there friday afternoon after work.we'll be there friday night and then sat. morning were heading down to atlanta for their st.pats day parade.
    we should be back by 5pm and then up till late,late sat night!
    go home sunday after checkout.

you can come to the con hotel for free,but to do the activities and con things youll need a con pass.so even if your not going to the con ,come on out and see us,
    we should be out in the halls in costume and messin 'round.

cya there.
    skip

8. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    cool, skip1 thanks for the update! :)

9. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    there are some people from the Hothlanta Rebels group that may be coming--one of them mentioned that the St. Pat's parade may be rained out--do you know, skip?

anyway, we may be doing something at Galacticon after all, because one of the people from atlanta is pretty serious about doing something with us :)

10. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    st pats parade rained out?
    wow i didnt realize the rebels could predict rain storm over a month before it happens.......thats a crazy statement.is that actually on their boards?

2 years ago it poured down rain up till a few hours before and we still had it.unless its raining bad at staging time the show will go on.
    if it is raining then i guess we party at galacticon!

11. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    ok, maybe not rained out, lol...but she mentioned that it may have been cancelled...it was in a group-wide email, not on the boards [face_laugh] good point tho ;)

and i am working that Saturday :mad: but should be able to be there otherwise--and since i work downtown, i'll be close be! :)

12. Jedireject

Jedireject Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2001
    The Atlanta St. Patrick's Day Parade has not been cancelled. It is scheduled to be the biggest Atlanta St. Patrick's Day Parade since it started 147 years ago. I'm not sure where your getting it might be cancelled, that simply isn't true.

http://www.stpatsparadeatlanta.com

I wish I could head up to Galacticon that night, but we have a G.I. Joe convention and another parade in Macon that Sunday.

13. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    [face_laugh] well, good then! i was just paraphrasing what someone in Atlanta said to me, so i admit it was all hearsay!

thanks for the clarification, Jedireject
    wish you could be here as well--sounds like we may have a crowd--but if you're busy, you're busy, right? :)

14. spooky-kid

spooky-kid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 17, 2003
    the dealers room looks kinda lame, like the cons they have here in High Point and Charlotte.

15. MoffSienar

MoffSienar Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2001
    Hi all,

I think the Hothlanta Rebels member may have gotten their info crossed from messages going across the local Atl Klingon Assault Group board. Their group, which HAD planned on being in the Atl St. Pat's parade has now backed out of the parade because they plan on going to Galacticon, which has always been known as "Klingon Spring Break". The local KAG ship is responsible for a lot of the event planning at galacticon, so they opted to not divide their resources between the con and the parade. On their boards, someone posted a message stating "The parade has been cancelled", but it refers to their participation, not the parade itself.

As Jimmy stated, this should be the biggest Atlanta parade ever, with 3 days of events happening at Underground Atlanta in conjunction with the holiday. They are expecting well over 100,000 spectators for the parade and the 501st is planning a massive showing for them! If anyone will be in the Atlanta area and would like to help (volunteer) with the parade and march with the 501st, please email me at Sienarsys1@aol.com. We can use volunteers to help with "crowd control", helpers, and to pass out goodies to the crowd as we march.

Thanks all, especially Skip, for bringing this to our attention.

James T. Smith
    ID IC IS SL TK 0271
    GA501st CO / GML

16. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    [face_laugh]

again, thanks for the clarification!

*mental note to self: post more inaccurate information to get more details & involvement from other people on the boards* ;) [face_whistling]

i'll be working that saturday (stupid dress rehearsals for our stupid conversion here at work!) so i doubt i'll be available in Atlanta, but thanks for asking--others may be interested :)

17. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    So just everyone knows, Galacticon is March 18-20 (I'm assuming the parade is on the 19th)?

18. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    dont worry,we'll watch out for you guys!

seriously,i check out the FF boards for things relevant to me and the 501st around here.i dont always have time to post but were always watching......

19. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    We're still discussing what we can contribute to the the con. As far as I know, some of us WILL be there. Either at the con itself, or cruising the hotel. I look forward to meeting more of the 501st!

20. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    id say just come out to the hotel and see whats going on and bring some drinks.you can stash em in one of fridges.im sure there will be room parties and people in costume.heck, i might put one on when i get there friday night!im bringing vader and arc trooper.
    if you have one ,bring an FRS radio.we usually have ours set to channel "5" sub "01" ,for obvious reasons.listen in to the imperial chatter and you can find us.

21. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    Looks like we'll be having a killer turnout.upwards of 30 501st members will be invading the con and taking it away from those klingons!!!!!!!
    plans are still to arrive friday night.ive heard some guys are getting there early so expect troopers friday night.
    Some of us wont be there until around 8-9pm friday night,but we'll still be there if you want to ride out and see the costumes.its free to get into the hotel.
    dont forget the FRS radio.

22. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    nobody ????????
    there was alot of fun there this weekend.we had alot of guys(and girls) in armor friday and saturday night.pretty small event but it was a fun atmosphere.

we had people from birmingham, huntsville, nashville, memphis and more there.sorry you guys missed it.

23. spooky-kid

spooky-kid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 17, 2003
    i'VE BEEN WANTING TO SEE SOMEONE IN ARC TROOPER GEAR

24. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    I had a slight family emergency come up over the weekend (ain't that always the case). I did want to swing by the hotel just to see everyone, but the cards were NOT in my favor. Sorry I missed ya. Will you be at DragonCon? Anyway, we're going to do our best to take over Chattacon and Galacticon next year. We should have a large enough group to where we can stake our claim as the go to people for anything Star Wars in Chattanooga. Again... sorry we missed you Skip. Hope you had a good time, though!

25. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    well Galacticon is no more,they announced this year was their last.but they are starting a new "scifi con" that will be the same weekend.

and for those wanting to see arcs and clones here's the 6 of us at the stpats day parade.we were also trooping the hotel.
    [image=http://www.ga501st.com/Events/FullSizePics/StPats2005/StPats2005_128.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.