main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Galaxies: General Chat, Discussion, Information plus Q&A's

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Insane Anakin, Jun 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Insane Anakin

Insane Anakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 1999
    Feel free to discuss the upcoming MMORPG by Verant here.

Does anybody have any idea what race/profession they want to pursue yet?

I want to be a human politician, but we'll see.

Discuss!

Title edited to bring into line with the other **Official** Galaxies threads...

2. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Human, general bad ass, hired thug, smuggler, all the evil stuff.

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Hey, IA, long time no see!

4. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    I don't think I have enough knowledge of this game to be included in an intelligent conversation. =(

5. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    I wanna be on the run from stormies and bounty hunters gives me a excuse to blow stuff up.

6. Krayt Tion

Krayt Tion Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 16, 1999
    I have ideas of what I'd like to play but nothing will be definite till I get to that character creation screen.

I'm interested in playing all races expect Wookie and that Darth Maul wanna-be species, Zabrak or whatever. Professions... I need to know what I am truly capable of doing in game first, at least on a basic level. There is nothing in my heart that screams out "PLAY ME!!" at this time.

7. jebadia

jebadia Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2001
    being a hired gun could be intresting

8. Insane Anakin

Nov 12, 1999
    http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/features/faq.jsp

Massive Q&A by the producers here. Good stuff.

9. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    Yeah... I've been writing updates about the FAQ on TheForce.net's Video Game section... but you guys *never* talk about news from the main page :p

10. Obi-Coffee

Obi-Coffee Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 8, 2000
    I must say this game looks just sexy. It's on my must play list.

11. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    Twi'lek pimp-daddy.

12. Insane Anakin

Nov 12, 1999
    I was disappointed to hear of the Darth Maul-abbe species, Zabrak, being included in the game.

13. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
  14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    PB;
    "but you guys *never* talk about news from the main page"

Huh? I thought this forum was the main page.

:)

15. Insane Anakin

Nov 12, 1999
    I thought there were a lot of cooler, better species than the Zabrak, a species that was just invented a year ago and has no backstory at all.

Huzzah.

16. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    I agee IA, they just stuck it in to satisfy the little whining babies that are DM wannabe's. Those people have no real respect for the essence of SW.

17. Krayt Tion

Oct 16, 1999
    Yes, he had a double-bladed lightsabre. Yes, he looked weally weally mean.

I'm not however one that really appreciates Darth Maul. So what does that leave for people like me that didn't care too much for the character? We have a species in SWG that we don't have jack didly to draw on from the movies except some guy who looks mean trying to kill you with a big red stick. Although as a Zabrak you'll still be able try your hand at other profressions, I wonder what the main appeal of Zabrak is going to be for others, and I don't have too wonder hard. Couple that with my knowing irratiblity to lots of Jedi coming running around and you get something worse. Lots of Dark Jedi Zabrak Darth Maul wannabes going around trying to roxx0r my unl337 lightside aZZ.

I'm sure there are others who don't like, say, Bib Fortuna or Admiral Ackbar. At least the Twilek and Mon Cal species only credit to the films is not to be a uber mini Sith and I can bet they aren't going to draw crowds and types I think are associated with Being a Dark Side Badass©.

But really I think they wasted a species spot that could be better spent on a species with more background in the moves and EU.

18. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Well, there's also that Zabrak on the jedi council. He's the fellow on the right of this board's header image.

I don't know his name, nor do I really care, but theres bound to be a huge EU backstory on him. Oh Valiento... ;)

I actually think the 2 zabrak shown on the Galaxies screens...

female zabrak

male zabrak

...are sufficiently different from Maul to inspire players not to tatoo themselves red & black and run round with a double bladed saber.

In fact, that spikey headed chick is kinda hot :p

So the species playable at the start are (aside from Zabrak)

Human
    Wookiee
    Twi'lek
    Rodian
    Bothan
    Mon Calamari
    Trandoshan

Rodian, Tran & Bothan are all pretty minor in the movies too.

You don't like Zabrak... so what minor species would you have chosen instead?

Tusken?
    Jawa?
    Bith?
    Ugnought?

Uhh... yeah. Thought so...

And don't forget, more species to be added over time (probably EpII species after the movie is released).

19. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    Well, they could've put something interesting in like a street thug Gran or a peaceful Ithorian.

20. Krayt Tion

Oct 16, 1999
    I forgot about the Jedi Council member, but you've already helped me show that he doesn't much matter as far as one of my issues is concerned. You don't care, and I'm willing to guess that neither do many others. I'm sure they remember Darth Maul, as l337 as he is.

Those screenshots don't have anything to do with people not picking a Darth Maul clone. More character choices is not a preventative measure.

Off that list, Tusken Raiders hands down. Now that would make for some damn good roleplaying opportunities in my book. A tusken raider finally leaving the solitude of the Jundland wastes.. oh the things he would see and the things he must deal with.

And I know someone on these boards who would kill to play a Jawa. >:)

In the end I admit I am biased because I didn't enjoy Episode I as much as any of the original trilogy. Ah well.

21. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Tuskens would be cool, I admit. Mind you, you may be able to dress a human up in raider clothes & live as Tuskens if you desire. Are they humans under the masks? I always thought so.

Anyway back to the point. I know you don't want to see Maul wannabies running around. Fair enough, I can see why, noether do I. Similarly *I* don't want to see Mon Cal's trying to be Ackbar, or humans trying to be Han, or Wookiees trying to be Chewie etc.

Regardless of the species, there are going to be players who simply cannot think up their own characters to play, so try to emulate those from the films.

I'm sure the Galaxies engine and admins will try and minimise this;

from the FAQ
    3.06 Will there be name constraints or professional titles?

We will enforce name constraints to help promote a Star Wars atmosphere. You will not see LuukSkywalker777 running around. We do intend on allowing players to attain professional titles based on the skills they choose to focus on.

I realise this doesn't stop people making themselves up to LOOK like a known character.

My point is that there are several playable species in Galaxies that had marginal screen time (did Bothans even appear in Ep1, I know they weren't in the OT). Zabraks had a fairly prominent role in Ep1 - 2 characters. And that ANYONE playing who tries to run around emulating ANY movie character will be damn annoying.

I never considered playing a Zabrak before seeing those screens, and being awakened to the possible diversity the species can exibit. Not that I will be a Zab', but I haven't discounted it.

I think playing a Zab' is at least as interesting as any of the other "minor" species, or a Tusken for that matter.

22. Insane Anakin

Nov 12, 1999
    I think playing as a Jawa, Ewok, or Tusken Raider would beat Zabrak, and I'm sure there are others.

Anyone, new topic. What do you all think of Verant's decision to allow Jedi in Galaxies? It's a pretty big ass continuity error if you ask me, as Luke, Yoda, da Emperor, and Darth Vader were the only Jedi alive during the OT time period. (Maybe that C'Boath guy, if you count the expanded universe) But this game isn't about continuity, is it? I truly hope that Verant makes every effort possible to limit the number of Jedi running around for a lot of reasons.

1. Continuity - cited above.
    2. Gameplay- Trust me, it'll get boring and lame rather quickly to have dozens of Jedi running around, hacking each other's heads off. Also, while many people will do their best to abide by the Jedi code, and play Jedi like the honorable peace-keepers they are, I know some will take advantage of their powers and abuse them greatly. It'll be pretty ugly.

Those are the major ones I have to think of.

23. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    I'm gonna wait to see how it's implemented. They're saying that it will be extremely difficult to become a Jedi. If this is as hard as they make it seem, then I think it will be ok. It would be great to play the game for months, and then one day discover a Jedi player and befriend him or somehing like that.

However, if you see a Jedi more than, say, once a week, it will be fairly stupid.

24. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I don't really know how skills progress, but it should be really hard to be a Jedi. You should have to forsake all your other skill-building for a long while while you train, and even after all that training still emerge only as a low-level Jedi, so it takes a long time to garner true Jedi skill, and there won't be many uber-jedi running around. Personally I won't be a jedi.

25. DUM4

DUM4 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2000
    While my decision isn't final, I'm considering being a Trandoshan and specifically hunting Jedi. Gonna try and help keep the number of Jedi down. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.