main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Galaxies: General Chat, Discussion, Information plus Q&A's

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Insane Anakin, Jun 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    The three week offer is just to get people to come back to try out all the changes made to the game. I came back, got my Old Republic lightsaber hilt, jetpack, and then quickly ran out of things to do. There's an ugly Jinzu Razor hilt that's the most powerful in the game, but the guy that drops it is always camped and he's a 6-hour spawn. Meh.

I've heard smugglers can smuggle now, but what are they smuggling -- hopes of adding Hoth to the list of playable planets? LOL.

2. darthnave

darthnave Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2005
    What, am I the only one that wants to explore the surface of Hoth?

3. Jedi_Ulic_Qel-Droma

Jedi_Ulic_Qel-Droma Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 9, 2002
    Gonna try to answer a few questions the best I can...

"I recently came back due to a 3 week offer from sony, it seems ok. I've only so far done space patrols and some creature missions on tatooine. I'm wondering if I'm now level 55, whats the best way to level up quickly while I am a jedi?"

I leveled My Jedi alt from level 1 to 90 in a week. But this was mostly due to the help of my guild. At a low level, if you go after anything 10 levels or more highr than you, you get great xp. It also helps if you get an experience buff from an entertainer. Doing the Legacy Quest greatly helps since this gives the most decent xp reward ever since the Devs nerfed the Restuss PvP zone mission xp rewards.

Mustafar and Kasshyyk are great for xp gain as well. I know its tough for a low level, but if you got people helping you in some ways (MEDIC FTW), then you will find it easy.

Oh and Id love to go around Hoth, after the Mustafar hell hole, a little chill would make it fun.

4. darthnave

darthnave Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2005
    Finally!
    I'd love to just cruise around on a Tauntaun. The only problem I can see with going to Hoth is the fact that the Rebels should be there considering Galaxies takes place between ANH and ESB. What they could do is have the area blocked off unless you're a Rebel, I suppose.

5. liambauckham

liambauckham Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2005
    i found a quest the other day that gave me a set of clone armour - the xp on the quest was ok im lv 47 are there any other quests out there that reward you with cool items such as the clone armour

thanks

6. liambauckham

Jul 11, 2005
  7. HowardFilms

HowardFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    ToS is pretty explicit on this being a no-no

8. Jedi_Ulic_Qel-Droma

Nov 9, 2002
    Few quests do that, mostly from expansions (Kasshyyk and Mustafar)

here are a few links for walkthroughs and all that:

Mostly Kasshyyk

Mustafar Quests: This guide is bloody awesome

Another great list of guides and walkthroughs

Hope this helps... :D

9. liambauckham

Jul 11, 2005
    thanks ill check them out when i get home

10. shiplemw

shiplemw Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2005
    Someone asked "What have they changed" so here's a quick list of additions since the NGE hit live (note: most work and additions have been since May 2006).

- PVP battlefield zones - (similar to the old pvp areas) - there are bases on Talus, Naboo and Correlia as well there is a destroyed city (Restuss) on Rori that is the arc of a story line

- Smuggling sytem - yes smugglers can smuggle. Currently it is more of a "delivery" system than smuggling but there are high hopes that once expertise is over it will be further advanced

- crafting - nothing really new has been added, nor has anything been changed. Talk is of a revamp (was supposed to be happening as of right now in chapter 4, but that has been pushed back indefinately).

- economy - the economy is in the tank currently because credits are easily gotten and there are quite a few people that all they do is go get loot and sell it (think high end loot like PLC's, Binary liquids, crystals, clothing etc). While this isn't bad the game has no credit sink currently (minus shuttle rides and the trips to the cloner) and those are few and far between for most that PVE, more frequent for those that PVP.

- Expertise - Jedi, Officer, Bounty Hunter & smuggler now have their expertise in place. Is it perfect, no but is it a start to allowing people to individualize their characters? Yes it is. It really has been well received. Jedi are no longer the uber tanks they were when most jedi played (pre-nge) but they are definately still good. Upcoming (chapter 4) has medics, commmandos and spies getting their expertise so all the combat classes should be done by december.

- Legacy Content - they've legacy content on Tattooine, Naboo, Correlia and Talus (current endpoint) and continue to add more legacy quests. They've been pretty religious about adding this in.

- Leveling - you now have a combat level (1-90) and gain levels by getting xp (same as old system). There are ways to grind etc but it is generally considered that legacy will take you from 1-50, kashyyyk exp will take you from 50-70 and mustafar exp will take you up to or near 90.

- weapons - your CL level no longer determines your attacks / efficiency. Now you are relying upon having a good weapon equipped.

- bug fixes - good lord they have a crap ton hitting live today... they've made a solid solid effort to eliminate bugs and fix old glaring issues. You know those stupid banners that hang in the middle of no-where sometimes or how some npc's spawn right on top of another npc (think theed police / imp storm trooper). Annoying and small but being taken care of. They've really gone after trying to get rid of bugs.

- communication - there has been a lot of communication recently. It is believed by me that SOE realizes their mistake with rushing the NGE and is making a valid effort to improve the current game to a much better state (ie: improved communication, bug fixes etc). Granted this isn't exactly what everyone wants, ie: the here's my idea, its simple, implement it now people, but it is much better than it was only 3-4 months ago.

- tool bar, radar, chat windows - double toolbars, resizeable radar, etc are back in game.

- GCW system - they have a new gcw ranking system. You acrue points for being special forces and a combatant through pvp, pve kills of the opposite faction etc. It is controversial due to the limited rank gains per week but it is quite good in implementation and seems to be well thought out minus all the griefers that want instant satisfaction in gaining the ultimate level.

- new stuff- they've added in several new armor sets, added in several new weapons, rewards etc.

- new expansion - talk of an expansion has been quelled until the game is back on track (personal belief is that once we get the expertise implemented (profession and gcw specific), trader / ent revamp, they release the box set (SWG Classic = musty, wookie, jtl and starter pack for 10-15 bucks in november), and they see how or if membership takes off they will look into doing an

11. shiplemw

shiplemw Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2005

Hey... the clone armor is part of a "Clone Wars" Backstory questline that was added in during the Rage of the wooks (kasshyyk) expansion. It is quite fun and you do get some good stuff (paintings, armor, weapon, space gun (?)). It is pretty neat. That's the fun part of this game... there is always something you ahven't done or seen. Want to explore... go get some location badges. Want to hunt something, go hunt. Want to mine, go mine. Want to craft, go craft. Want to fly a ship, go fly a ship. Want to chat... go chat. Want to RP with your guildies, go RP. It's all there and more. The game needs some more work but it is definately better than it was 11 months ago.

PS what server do you play on?

12. liambauckham

Jul 11, 2005
    i have a bounty hunter on europe infinities and a jedi on europe chimera

p.s. do you know of any other clonewars quests ive only found mort in the daeric cantina

13. shiplemw

shiplemw Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2005
    "any other clone wars quests"

Yeah there are 6-7 quests if I remember right.

Link to the guide on the SOE website

Clone wars guide

14. liambauckham

Jul 11, 2005
    excellent ill give that one a bash when i get home

15. liambauckham

Jul 11, 2005
  16. liambauckham

Jul 11, 2005
    i was exploring one of the cities on galaxies earlier and noticed a planetary record keeper that said i could erase my history

anyone else experienced this

what does it do? does it mean i can re run the legacy quests?

17. Jedi_Ulic_Qel-Droma

Nov 9, 2002
    This NPC has been there long before CU I think. It is simply an NPC that (When conversed with) resets all the NPC quests that you did for that planet. So lets say you spoke with the one in Tatooine, you can do all the quests from that planet again.

I have not tried this in a while with my new alts, but Ive done it with my main toon. You can only do this ONCE if I am not mistaken. Some notes though, I believe that this doesnt allow you to do the Hero of Tatooine Quest again, so dont keep your hopes up for two rez rings. I am not sure if it is the same for legacy since this quests brings you to almost every planet in one way or another.

18. Smuggler_4_Life

Smuggler_4_Life Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2005
    Man, a new expansion would be great. I'm glad that they've taken the time to "fix" the ongoing issues with the game, but I hope they really do slate some kind of traditional expansion for next year (and preferably one that includes SPACE CONTENT!!!!).

And let's hope this one isn't so jedi-heavy as Mustafar was. ToOW is by far my LEAST favorite expansion to date.

19. SpaceMonkey10

SpaceMonkey10 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 2, 2006
    Have they fixed endless grinding and the unbalanced feel of there being wayyyyy too many Jedi in a time in the SW chronology where there were supposed to be only a handful around? that's why I left the game, and I was a HUGE fan of the game at first. I love everything Star Wars and I am still hurting from the dissappointment that SWG became.

20. Jedi_Ulic_Qel-Droma

Nov 9, 2002
    Its is still a grind. And if you were here 3 years ago.. its no longer up to level 80.. highest level is now 90 :D

And yes, now that JEDI is a starting profession (instead of the old, Holocron grind or the Village grind to unlock Jedi), Jedi are everywhere in this timeline set between A new Hope and ESB...

They did add an Expertise system, a sub par specialty system for your chosen profession of 9 (instead of the old 30 professions with endless templates). But it still isnt the same as the old system which I loved. Instead of my unique Bounty Hunter with a little dabble from Pistoleer and Carbineer and CH, my Bh is now a papercut template like everyone else. With the expertise system, we just have different special attacks which is minor to what it used to be.

21. Smuggler_4_Life

Aug 22, 2005
    I think this mirrors what a lot of veterans are feeling. The game today is a very different thing than it was a few years ago.... as a vet, either you adapt or you don't, sadly.

22. Jedi_Ulic_Qel-Droma

Nov 9, 2002
    Yep, I agree... still playing after 3 years...

Still adapting since CU :p

23. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    In what ways is the game different now from when it first came out, besides the jedi issue?

24. Smuggler_4_Life

Aug 22, 2005
    All of the environments are the same, as is the space game, but the ground game mechanics have gone through a few MAJOR re-works in the last few years.

The original profession system was taken out of the game in November of '05 in favor of 9 "iconic" professions. Now, you have one prof that you can tweak just a bit with expertise points, or you can pay an npc a certain amount of creds to respec your prof to one of the other 9. The old system was much more robust and would allow you to take parts from (was it 32?) different professions to create a very unique and customized player template. Now, we're all basically cookie-cutters.

The combat interface was totally re-worked to be more of a "twitch" system, similar to an FPS game. Devs have recently added in an auto target and auto attack feature, which has made combat a bit more like it used to be, but it's still quite a bit different.

Gaining XP is now done via questing, not grinding.... although it is still possible to grind your way to a higher level, it's nowhere near as lucrative as it once was. A series of quests have been added to the game, intended to give newbies the XP they need to level their characters.

The economy has been hosed by having items no longer decay, and by introducing a bunch of quest attained and looted weapons and items that are vastly superior to most of the stuff that crafters can make. Weaponsmiths are practically extinct these days.

I think these are the most major changes. Ulic or any other vets want to add anything to this?

25. SpaceMonkey10

SpaceMonkey10 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 2, 2006
    I'm just bitter and disappinted that SOE catered more to gamers than to Star Wars fans. I had my hopes really high, I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.