main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Galaxies: General Chat, Discussion, Information plus Q&A's

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Insane Anakin, Jun 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthnave

darthnave Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2005
    They did cater to Star Wars fans. Just mainly the ones that are blood thirsty, Jedi/dark Jedi/Sith wannabes, anti-social, pompous, and/or uncooperative.

Of course, this is coming from someone who hasn't played Galaxies once. I just summed up what I've heard.

2. liambauckham

liambauckham Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2005
    remember guys its just a game

3. Jedi_Ulic_Qel-Droma

Jedi_Ulic_Qel-Droma Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 9, 2002
    Not really, this pretty much sums it up on the last year at Galaxies. But when I started out an alt toon on the same server, It was still a GRIND in terms of leveling him up. Even though the Quests did give xp, it was still a grind just to reach level 90. But instead of the boring kill the same creature over and over; it became a boring quest with not much content in it but kill a certain amount of creatures to get this much xp.

They also changed the GCW ranking system. It became a little bit of a grind as well just to get a faction rank. And if you reach a high rank (LT to General), it becomes forced PvP just to keep that rank. Not that im complaining since I have done all the quests in all the planets, all I do in this game now is PvP with my Mandalorian Squad. Its cool when people gawk at my group when we pvp since we are all in full Mandalorian Armor and most of us know Mando'a and chat with that language instead of english.

As for this statement:

They did cater to Star Wars fans. Just mainly the ones that are blood thirsty, Jedi/dark Jedi/Sith wannabes, anti-social, pompous, and/or uncooperative.

Of course, this is coming from someone who hasn't played Galaxies once. I just summed up what I've heard.

Partly true, but not 100%. The fact is, most Jedi are played by kids or teens.. so there is the certain amount of uncooperativeness when it comes to Community interaction since all they want to do is become the best Jedi in the game with disregards to community members.. But again, this is only a small % of the community.

4. Tyrant_Windu

Tyrant_Windu Jedi Youngling

Sep 14, 2005
    LucasArts need to go somewhere eles then SOE because for 3 years straight i just about had enough.[face_worried]

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Galaxies is getting a local release here in Australia next month.

I'm still gonna stick with WoW.

ES

6. Tyrant_Windu

Tyrant_Windu Jedi Youngling

Sep 14, 2005
    I mean dont give me wrong.The game is good is just im tired of one min..SOE say what they gonna to do and the next they lie about it that all heh.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah, but at least WoW lacks pretensions. Galaxies is a subpar MMO which looks, but doesn't feel like Star Wars, ignores its fans and pretends life is good and rosy.

E_S

8. VictorVegas

VictorVegas Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 10, 2000
    QFE

9. SpaceMonkey10

SpaceMonkey10 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 2, 2006

Sounds about right. Stick with WoW. Trust me.

10. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    Does anyone have an idea on when the Pre-NGE servers are gonna be online?

11. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    Also, when your ship gets destroyed, is it gone forever and you have to buy a new one or does it come back when you "respawn"?

12. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004

13. Jedi_Ulic_Qel-Droma

Jedi_Ulic_Qel-Droma Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 9, 2002
    When you get destroyed or when you Eject from your ship. You will be brought to the nearest space station. Nothing happens to your health or stuff when it comes to your toon. But as for your ship; it loses condition. You can repair it by talking to the space station or you can land and use player made repair kits to repair specific parts of your ship.

Down side to getting blown up in space:

1. Your ships condition will lessen from when you bought it (i.e condition say is at 1500/1500, after being blown up it can show 0/1500, after repair its gonna be 1400/1400). The mass will not be affected by this. This is not bad even if its a master ship since you can buy it again. This sucks if its a KSE Firespray or a quest only ship like the JSF.

2. Components on your ship that has been repaired will also have less condition than what it was before. Plus, Armor and shields that all components have that add to the total defense of your ship will also lessen. SO if its a level 10 REd components, its gets fubared.

3. Once your ships components are at its lowest condition, you will notice a huge difference in your ships ability to take hits.. which means you blow up faster even with the same components as you started out, because the conditions are low.

Hope this helps :D

14. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    Thanks, Ulic.

http://www.atomfilms.com/af/spotlight/collections/starwars/index.html

So, anyone seen this yet? I'm having high hopes on The Advenures (of) Haphazzard(sp?). It seems pretty good.

And this thing proves how many people are Jedi/dark Jedi/Sith because every single one has one, whether it's a very small part, to the machinima being all about FSs. I, personally, would want to make one out of Imperial Pilots. Kind of like the X-Wing series of books. The only problem is that I lack the patience and the people to participate in it.

15. darthYENIK

darthYENIK Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    I just popped in to see if Galaxies is still going down. Looks to be so. Anyone who is fed up with this game and it's non-star wars feel, just give up the game. It's gone, and never coming back. Just quit. The sooner no one plays it anymore, the sooner, we can beg lucasarts to make a better game.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh, I will. I just hit L59, will hit L60 in the next day :D

E_S

17. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    It "used" to be a good MMO. :(

I miss it.

-The Scummy-

18. SpaceMonkey10

Aug 2, 2006

That's kind of what I'm hoping for.

I wish LucasArts would come out and say, "People, we're sorry. We had a great vision for a Star Wars MMORPG but we handed it over to SOE and they ruined it!! It became what no one wanted. So now, we are developing a new MMORPG that will have the true Star Wars feeling that Galaxies was lacking. Thank you for sticking with us, and may the Force be with you.".... or something like that.

19. shiplemw

shiplemw Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2005

To be honest if they did that they'd lose a lot of face with the people in the know. Not flaming you but in any business its never the fault of the guy/gal who dreams the ideas up and tells others to implement them, its always the fault of those that are implmenting it. Same thing with machinery designs, manufacturing, life etc...

Its never the fault of a designer that his seat isn't comfortable, nope the manufacturing plant can't install it or build it right
    Its never the fault of those that eat at mcdonalds constantly, its the restraunts fault for making them fat
    Its never the fault of the parents that their kids aren't learning or aren't motivated it must be the teachers and school systems
    Its never the fault of the people that they are bankrupt, poor, have no desire to work, etc, nope the fault lies on the government for not providing them with more money, work, etc.
    It wasn't poor judgement of all those people that didn't leave New Orleans when they were told to, it was the governments fault for not getting them out, rescuing them, providing food etc.
    Its not my fault that I have unrealistic expectations from a software company to implement evereything and anything I desire, to have a dev answer every question asked on their forums, to implement everythign I want whether its game breaking or not,.....nope its the software companies fault.

The point is...it isn't one person or one companies fault. They BOTH made the mistake of allowing the NGE to happen. They BOTH made the mistake of ignoring their customers and for ignoring their consumer base.

20. Smuggler_4_Life

Smuggler_4_Life Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2005
    I'm constantly amazed at how many people go on the official forums with their unrealistic, outlandish concepts and try to convince everyone that theirs is THE definitive vision for the future of SWG.

What people don't usually realize is that for both LucasArts and SOE, it's all about making money. Every poor decision in the history of this game (and yes, there have been many) started out as a well-intentioned attempt to capitalize on the marketability of the Star Wars brand and the popularity of the MMORPG genre. I think people would be amazed if they could actually see the truth behind the beleaguered history of SWG. I can only imagine the spreadsheets, bar graphs, meetings, and powerpoint presentations that went into the decisions to enact the CU and the NGE. In the process of running the business, they simply can't take everyone's half-baked ideas and start developing them.

I think the ultimate problem is that the suits who make the decisions are too far removed from the people who actually play the game, and the people who play the game get some strange sense that they matter to these companies far more than they do. If any player out there actually thinks that they are in any way significant to either LA or SOE beyond the $15/month that transfers out of their bank account..... then wow, that's some naivete. The only way to send a message is to hit the cancel button and don't look back.

And then the rest of us can get back to enjoying the game as it is, without the strange sense of entitlement that some seem to enjoy. Hey, I'm in it to have fun, and the moment I stop having fun, I'm going to hit that magical cancel button and be off to my life's next great adventure.

21. SpaceMonkey10

Aug 2, 2006

22. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003

Why are people always counting other people's profits?

And there's no need to tell us that SWG is ruined. We know! We've been told that it is a lot of time.
    Now what are we going to do about it? By telling us you're disappointed you don't make the game any better, so what is the point? This became a +1 thread, I don't know why do I still read it.

23. Kish

Kish Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2004

To be honest, I think the awful state of SWG is mostly due to the inept handling by LucasArts. Say what you will about SOE, but they are professional MMOG developers, i'm confident that they knew redeveloping SWG 2 years after release into a completely different game was a bizzare idea. However the suits in LucasArts decided that it had to be done, the game isn't "Star Warsey" enough and so on.

SWG reeks of the lame half hearted attempts of "Star Warseyness" that so many other Star Wars games have succumbed to lately. How many times do we have to have the Hoth level? How many games have to center around the Jedi? Why can't Star Wars actually do something slightly different rather then repackaging scenes found from the movies?

Because the suits at LucasArts think that all people want is another chance to be a Jedi, or fly a snowspeeder on Hoth.

24. Smuggler_4_Life

Smuggler_4_Life Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2005
    You said it, man.... I feel the same way!

I keep trying to promote actual gameplay discussion in this thread for those who either play SWG or are interested in playing SWG, but it just seems to degenerate into people who left complaining about how much better the game used to be and how its lame, dead, dying, etc, etc, etc.....

I guess I'd just rather spend my time sharing my enjoyment of the CURRENT game with others who CURRENTLY enjoy it than re-hash the same old gripes about what "those evil dev's took away from us".

25. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    Okay, let me be the first to get us off of this "SWG is horrible" stuff: Does anyone know when the Pre-NGE servers are going to come-up? Can anyone give me a link about the Pre-NGE servers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.