main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Galaxy Far Far Away = Milky Way Galaxy?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Cad Carnage, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cad Carnage

Cad Carnage Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    This has probably been discussed before but I couldn't find anything about it.

Galaxies move through space at very fast speeds, if Star Wars takes place a long time ago, the galaxy that it takes place in would have moved a great distance by now.

So the term "A Long Time Ago In A Galaxy Far, Far Away" could be referring to our Milky Way Galaxy because a long time ago our galaxy would have been far, far away.

Earth could just be part of the unknown region of the galaxy and not discovered yet.

The E.T. species was shown in TPM, and when E.T. is trick or treating in his movie and see's someone dressed as Yoda he repeats "home, home". Yoda probably reminds him of home, maybe they're from the same planet, maybe he just got lost in the unknown regions and accidently came to Earth.

[​IMG]

This is not to be taking too seriously, just something to think about.

So what do you think, is it possible?

I'm sure there are reasons why this theory is wrong, let's hear them too.

Air Jedi likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    ET, in the novelization, is consistently described as "3 million light years from home"- so he's probably from the Andromeda Galaxy. Which, while a bit on the large side compared to the SW one, could pass.

3. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Not Milky Way galaxy. Not the Star Wars Galaxy either, but we don't have satellite galaxies to the Milky Way.

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually, Leland Chee eventually clarified that yes, that is the SW galaxy- they are way above the galactic plane, looking down on it. Ignore any apparent motion on the galaxy's part.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_galaxy

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    This is the only clue I ever found.

[​IMG]

Our group of galaxies is in the middle. To the left is Fornax Cluster. 40,000,000 ly away. In the ANH novel Han makes a reference to "...flying through the fire rings of Fornax." More than likely this is just a name plucked out and dropped in the SW Universe and it refers to THIS.

But I like to think it's a clue.

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Biggest objection to "a long time ago" + "it's our universe"

is the presence of things, such as cold white dwarfs (the black star in Anakin's musings in the RoTS novelization) that can't exist yet because our universe is way too young.

Though I suppose some Sith ritual or Celestial experiment could have drained all of the heat out of that star.

7. Cad Carnage

Cad Carnage Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    Good work fellas, this is all very intriguing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.