main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Speculation] Galen Marek on rogue one

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Joanu Savan, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Joanu Savan

Joanu Savan Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2016
    Guys, have you considered this as possible? Or do you think movies will keep 100% unloyal to the expanded universe?
    I really, really liked Galen/Starkiller character.

2. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Isn't Mads Mikkelson's character name rumored to be Galen, based on an autograph he signed?

Joanu Savan likes this.
  3. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Well we've already got some of the EU seeping into Canon material either outright or altered so it is possible to see some stuff. As someone who is unfamiliar with the EU I can't speak for this but hey anything's possible I suppose.

João Delgado Nunes likes this.
  4. CoruscantDweller

CoruscantDweller Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 28, 2015

Very unlikely, they have displayed intention to keep concepts like lightsaber forms and Sabacc canon but entire plots are not going to happen in my opinion. Also they have described the film as one where the heroes can't depend on the jedi or the force to save them so at this point I would bet a lot of money that no character like him is in the new movie.

5. Joanu Savan

Feb 6, 2016
    Not enough evidence though...

6. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Of course not. But it's all we got!

7. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I sincerely hope not. His character was over the top.

AshiusX and Rou-eru like this.
  8. Joanu Savan

Feb 6, 2016
    In what sense? His story is quite awesome...

Darkslayer and Deliveranze like this.
  9. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    He defeats Vader, Sidious and creates the rebel alliance?
    Male wish fulfillment fantasy gone to extreme levels. It can be entertaining for a game, but it makes terrible cinema storytelling.

10. Joanu Savan

Feb 6, 2016
    He lost to Sidious... He dind't creat the alliance, they only used his family insignia to honor his sacrifice.

Deliveranze likes this.
  11. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    If they decided to make him canon, he'll appear in Rebels as Vader's secret assassin.

12. JediKnightYJK

JediKnightYJK Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 17, 2016

Totally agree...he is too off balance and will ruin the original characters.

13. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galen_Marek

I admit I hadn't been that familar with the character before.

The bird on some Rebel pilot helmets in ANH was supposed to be his family's insignia?

I had been under the impression that was actually the crest of Alderaan, eventually adopted as the new Alliance insignia following the destruction of Alderaan. ;)

14. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    No, if you follow the (Legends Canon) light-side ending, he only "loses" to Sidious the same way Mace Windu "lost"...by beating him and then basically getting killed because outside factors intervene.

He does get owned by him in the Dark Side ending, though...but that was an "alternate reality" even within Legends.

Anyway, we won't be seeing him in Rogue One. Or likely ever again. At best we get a character somewhat like him in Rebels, but I wouldn't hold my breath (and we'd probably get Mara Jade before we'd get Galen Marek).

15. Joanu Savan

Feb 6, 2016
    Jmacq1 If Galen appears in Rebels he will be as real according to canonicity as if he's appearing on Rogue One... I understand what you mean, still would be nice to see a similar character in Rebels or rogue one (for example as Jaina and Jaicen are with Rey and Kylo...)

16. Thorin Oakenshield

Thorin Oakenshield Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 9, 2016
    Out of curiousity, is there any good force unleashed 3 fan stories around. I need closure dammit!!!!

17. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    He didn't defeat Sidious. Sidious was trying to goad him into joining the dark side.

18. drewbacca11

drewbacca11 Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2016
    Palpatine was a wimp (and a coward) and the Alliance was Vader's idea. Plus Vader trained Starkiller, but Starkiller had the advantage of not being a cripple. Is it really that hard to believe that Starkiller achieved these things?

19. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yes, yes it is. His powers are ridiculously OOP. Heck even Freddie Prinze Jr (the voice of Kanan on Rebels) commented on it in an interview. Also ROTS and various Expanded materials have shown us that Sheev was FAR from being a "wimp." He was immensely powerful. And the whole "the Rebel insignis is his family crest," no just no. That insignia should NOT be based on any one family imo.

AshiusX, Rou-eru and La Calavera like this.
  20. drewbacca11

Feb 25, 2016
    Powerful, he may very well have been. He held his own against Yoda, but tried to run away several times. He dominated the galaxy, but through cunning and manipulation. He whined like a little girl when Windu bested him. He attacked Luke Skywalker when he was unarmed. I'm willing to bet that literally none of his achievements were attained using brute force. In other words, a wimp.

I haven't seen Rebels, call me closed-minded or judging a book by its cover, but when I saw a Rebel with a slingshot I was immediately put off by it. Disney, go figure.

Galen Marek's father was a Jedi. The insignia could easily be an ancient, obscure Jedi symbol.

What's OOP?

21. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    Drew,

You are aware that Palpatine played around with Mace WIndu, just to get Anakin to finally jump in and save him/turn...yes? Palpatine is a manipulator, but can back it up. His duel against Savage Opress and Darth Maul he kicked their asses.

22. drewbacca11

Feb 25, 2016
    I don't know about any duel with Maul or Savage Opress, but I do know Maul was bested by a Padawan (Obi-Wan). And Palpatine attacking Mace Windu when he was quite litterally "unarmed" by Anakin is classic, typical Palpatine. That was basically a sucker punch. Maybe he won against Maul and Savage Opress, but that still doesn't negate the fact that most of the time we see him he's a cowering, weak little man.

23. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I like the idea of Starkiller a lot more than what they ended up doing with him. He was too OP and too much made a centerpiece of the Rebellion, but I think a toned down version could be pretty cool. That said, I don't see the value of such a character in Rogue One.

24. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    The concept is stupid. Everything about the character is just stupid.

It’s a personality devoid videogame character that merely exists for shallow wish fulfillment whose main traits are only at the expense of other established characters. Yoda says once you start down the dark path it will forever dominate your destiny? Bitch please, Starkiller was raised in the darkside and turned good. Vader turning back was not a big deal yo. Luke was the last hope against Vader and Sidious? LOL I don't know Obi-Wan was thinking.

*Le sigh* that’s the problem I have with Starkiller. If you can’t create a compelling character without nerfing or stupidifying other characters just to make your character look awesome by comparison, then you’re not writing Star Wars, you’re writing Fanfiction.

25. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    The idea of a secret apprentice training under Vader starting at a very young age appeals to me and yes I believe such a person could turn good under the right circumstances. Why would Vader be the only darksider in entire SW history to turn good again? Yoda was wrong.

But I agree on his OP-ness and importance to the plot. Why this video game became canon back then is a mystery.