main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Gallery emptied...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Marmida, Mar 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marmida

Marmida Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 22, 2004
    [image=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/jediA-KS/padme_packing_1.jpg]Here is one pic of it. I think it's a bit crappy compared to the Dark Senate gown I'm working with at the moment. And I just finished the Pastel Gown last week. I just have to get it's pics to my computer, but darth real life has been quite demanding lately... But today I did the patterns for Padmé Tatoiine Poncho in real size 'cause I'm going to do it for next summer.

2. Marmida

Nov 22, 2004
    (edit: post removed...)

3. Basement24

Basement24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2005
    Very cool pilot design! I like the helmet especially. It's got an eerie quality to it though, not seeing any facial features. Almost like it would be in a story that we didn't know who the pilot was, waiting for a reveal on a familiar character. Nicely done!

4. Marmida

Nov 22, 2004
    Thanks Basement! Hmm... Maybe he/she will appear in some of my (possible) future fanfics... But thank you for your kind comment!
    [:D]
    :D

Marmida

5. Marmida

Nov 22, 2004
    And here is two more:

Bana Breemu. My fav senator after Padmé.

Sabé as jedi.Or a jedi-costume design. I'm not quite happy with the shading though... It´s all smudged... :p

Crit is welcomed!

Marmida

6. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    "More pencil stuff!"

Yay!! Love the "pencil stuff!" ;) And congrats on getting the new scanner (when they work, they're a real treat--when they wonk-out on you, you want to throw them out the window...)!

These latest drawings are wonderful, Marmida--I love the hair on the "Leia-ish" woman--very Padme-like curls, and very well done (I cannot draw curls like that for love or money...)! Her expression is rather melancholy, as someone pointed out in your DA replies--but that just adds to the mood of the piece, I think. Lovely! And I agree with Basement about the great pilot costume/helmet--a "reveal" would be rather interesting! :p

The portrait of Bana Breemu is just beautiful--I love the shading on her face, and her expression is also a bit sad or perhaps pensive--perhaps she, too, is listening to "how liberty dies..." And my own answer to the "smudging" problem? Kneaded erasers!! I wouldn't be without them, working with soft graphite on Bristol board! They can add highlights, and are essential for cleaning up the smudges which seem inevitable. They can be rolled into points or squished into blades (thus, the name "kneaded eraser") or any shape you need for lifting the graphite from nooks or crannies, or for highlighting faces or hair. Get some if you don't already have them and have a go--you won't be sorry! These are all wonderful--keep up the great work!

FF

7. Marmida

Nov 22, 2004
    Thanks for your kind words FF!
    Kneaded erasers? I have heard of them. Arn´t they those grey blocks? I've seen them in art stores and have thought about bying, but then hadn't... I'm quite happy with my number-on eraser (which is soft and erases well when it's clean and a bit warmed up). In Sabé I just blended the shades too much and it became dull and too even...
    But I have to think about those erasers. Thanks for the tip!
    [:D]

Marmida

8. Marmida

Nov 22, 2004
    Here is some non-sw manga-stuff with coloured pencils.

Active schoolgirl.

Icecream girl.

Next time I'll post my 8 page Ep.3-AU-ending comic called Twist of Fate.

Until then!

Marmida

9. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Well aren't these pretty?! Well done, Marmida--a lovely anime-style, and wonderful action in both of them! If you haven't been using the colored pencils it sure doesn't show in the work: it all looks great! I have a terrible time with those, myself, so definitely admire anyone that uses them, and uses them well like this! Nice work, and we'll be looking forward to your comic (8 pages?! Aren't you a trooper? ;) )!

FF

10. Marmida

Nov 22, 2004
    Here is the Newest update:
    Twist of fate
    Click the image to read the comic. It's quite large, 'cause I put the whole thing in one deviation. And don't mind the typos...
    Critic is very welcomed!

More to come when I get something done. I've been sewing more recently than drawing...

11. Jessoass

Jessoass Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2005
    Great job all of your comics are great!!!

Jess

12. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Great work on the comic, Marmida! =D= I like the style you used for Obi/Ani--very unique, and very expressive. It was also interesting that you combined some real images with your artwork, using those as the "dreamlike" or "mind's eye" images of your drawn characters--a very distinctive artistic choice. Sad conclusion (it is either way, though...)--in the end, Obi Wan falls to Anakin's 'saber, regardless... Wonderful work!

FF

13. Marmida

Nov 22, 2004
    Thanks Jessoass and FalconFan!

FF: The reason for the movie.pics are that I can't draw backgrounds.... Or fighting...
    So it was easiest to just put some moviestuff at the backgrounds.
    Nice you liked the lineart too!

And here is some new stuff:
    CW Shaak Ti
    and
    Orube (from W.i.t.c.h.)as a jedi.

More to come as I get something done.

PS. I've cleaned the first post now. Hopefully the links work fine. :D

Marmida

14. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, pretty-pretty-pretty!! Very nice CW Shaak Ti, Marmida! =D= And not to worry about the symbol--I'm sure it makes sense! ;) I love the Orube-as-Jedi piece, too--what a wonderful costume for her! Wonderful vests/tabards/gauntlets and leg wrappings--a very cool look, and a very individual costume for her! No reference, and an F-pencil? **face-jealous** The script at the top looks outstanding! Great, great job! =D=

FF

15. Marmida

Nov 22, 2004
    [face_blush]
    Thanks FF!
    Orube is very unique character and her jedi costume resembles her own warrior-costume.
    Hairstyle is directly from her own costume.

Until next update/reply!

Marmida

16. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    I really like your Orube drawing. I like the outfit. You did a great job!

AG88

17. Marmida

Nov 22, 2004
  18. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Hi Marmida!! Glad to see some new work from you! These are beautiful--man, the clothing and drapery work in both are wonderful: very realistic, and very fluid. In the first one, the foreshortening on Obi's legs is just flawless--a wonderful job with that! Is he running away from this spirit...? That's kind of what it looks like here. Great job with the lighting too--nice and cohesive, excellent shadowing. The second one is very tender--a lovely mood to it. Are those tattoos on the woman's face? I love her hands and the way you've drawn them (hands make me insane...). Both just wonderful! =D=

FF

19. NeitiPadme

NeitiPadme Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2005
    Very good paintings and drawings Marmida!! :)

20. Marmida

Nov 22, 2004
    So long since last time... And even longer to the next.

I've been VERY busy with Darth RL, so I haven't been able to draw almost anything scannable...
    And I've been sewing SW costumes to my Barbie-dolls and drawing patterns to my own costumes.
    At school there have been a lot to do too.

And the spring is gonna be even busier...

So late thanks to both FF and NP!

FF: For Obi in the first I used SW-Adventures comic as reference and the pic was built around Obi. The next one was just continuation to the same inspiration.
    And btw, I like dramatic hands... :D

Merry Christmas (or what ever you celebrate) and Happy new year (if your year is about to change)!!!

O:)

Marmida

21. Marmida

Nov 22, 2004
    Upping, that everyone could read the first post of this thread!

22. fgdinterceptor

fgdinterceptor Jedi Youngling

Oct 11, 2006
    granted, it's an honor and quite a nice compliment when one or more displays someone else's art, but I'd be pissed if someone used my art without my permission. Not sure I'd go as far as to call it theft...I mean, if they use it as an icon, whatever, with or without your permission, it's not that big a deal (but they better acknowledge where the art came from!!). Now, if they said "I drew this", tries to put it on a t-shirt, or attempts to make copies of your work, etc., then I'd remove my art completely from this site, and every other site you think might have the potential to be "stolen", and then complain to the powers that be.

Marmida, you take the risk of posting your work on forums like these. now I assume everyone on this forum especially has a certain amount of values before copying or taking anyone's work--without their permission--again, that's just the risk you take. And besides, not much you can do if your art's not copyrighted (at least from a legal standpoint).

TO MARMIDA'S DEFENSE: THOSE OUT THERE WHO WANTS TO COPY SOMEONE ELSE'S ART--AT LEAST HAVE THE DECENCY AND COMMON COURTESY TO ASK THE ARTIST BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO USE THEIR ART!! IT'S NOT THAT HARD, AND MOST ARTISTS WOULDN'T MIND IF YOU USED THEIR ART--AS LONG AS YOU LET EVERYONE KNOW WHERE THE ART CAME FROM, AND GIVE PROPS TO THAT ARTIST--BELIEVE ME, THEY DESERVE IT!!! IF THEY SAY 'NO, YOU CAN'T USE MY ART FOR ANYTHING'--YOU BETTER RESPECT THAT AND MOVE ALONG, AT LEAST OFF OF THESE FORUMS--FROM ONE ARTIST--AND I PROBABLY SPEAK FOR EVERYONE HERE, JUST SHOW SOME RESPECT AND COURTESY TO THE OTHER ARTISTS HERE--BESIDES HAVING STAR WARS IN COMMON, WE HAVE OUR ART--AND EVERYONE I'VE COME ACROSS HERE HAVE BEEN GENUINELY (sp) KIND AND HONEST--IF YOU CAN'T BE EITHER OF THESE, YOU'RE PROBABLY NOT WELCOME HERE!

23. Giolon05

Giolon05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2005
    Don't you think that's an overreaction over one "accidental" and comparatively harmless usage? I recently had a portion of my own gallery uploaded to deviantArt, and the bastard was touting it as his own. I know people from Renderosity who have had their stuff taken and posted on pay sites. Now *that's* malicious.

In any case, it is your work and your right to do with it what you will, and believe me I empathize with you, but punishing the entire community b/c of a few bad apples is hardly the ideal solution. Why not develop a watermark that you can put on all your work?

24. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    This is something we all face when making the decision to post our artwork anywhere for public display - whether it be out in the real world or the internet. The best way to protect your work from potential theft is to include a signature or place a watermark somewhere on your work like Giolon said. But just make sure that you make it complicated enough so that it's not an easy victim to the clone tool in PS.

I'd really hate to lose someone of the community over an incident like this, but it's your decision and I wish you the best of luck. :)

25. Marmida

Nov 22, 2004
    I know I was radical and I know it was a very little thing but I had been planning for a while to remove everything. The reason for that is that I'm busy and I don't have time to keep my eye on where my art is used or not.

fgdinterceptor:I agree with you. The word I used on the subject is hard, but that is how I first felt. And those 'rules' you typed are very same I had in mind. Thanks!

Giolon: It was little and and harmless, but made me feel very uneasy.
    And I'm sensitive.
    Sorry to hear about your mishaps. THAT is outrageous!

HanSolo: I knew the risks and that's why I carefully chose the place to put my work in. And I have marked my work carefully. But now it's over and I don't need to stress anymore.
    Hopefully most of SW-fans who make and use SW art are smart enough.
    The person who made that icon is a SW fan and apologied allready. It was kind of misunderstanding.

One more thing:

IF YOU WISH TO USE MY ARTWORK ON YOUR ICONS, BANNERS, WALLPAPERS OR ANY OTHER FORM OF DIGITAL, TRADITIONAL OR ANY OTHER ART, PLEASE DON'T! I WOULD NOT LIKE IT!

Marmida

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.