main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gallifrey Outpost: New Dr Who Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by AmberStarbright, Jan 3, 2006.

1. saturn5

saturn5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2009
    How much did I lust after Ace back in the 80s? Love to see Sophie on the show again, we've had Sarah Jane, why not Ace?

2. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    There's a lot of old companions I'd like to see come back, Saturn5. Ace is among them. :D

3. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    the woman who played Jo Grant was also the voice of Iris Wildthyme--another renegade time lord. Be fun to see her as either character.

Why does the doctor regeneratingcause the tardis interior to start exploding? I know they wanted an excuse to redesign the look, but couldn't they have found one that made sense within the story? In the original series, it was because the doctor was bored and started tinkering with it (or the wood-paneled victorian version that was the backup control room). This was another pointless FX indulgence on the scale of crashing the -D enterprise because they wanted to design a new ship and couldn't think of a good reason to do so.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it was meant to add to the emotional punch of things- one of the most popular Doctors ever (not to mention the one who has been the star of the series for the majroity of it's modern existence) is regenerating away, and his loss (and his unwillingness to leave) is reflected by the more explosive "quickening"-like regeneration. In other words, gave it some extra oomph so that it's not just another regeneration.

5. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Okay, here's a little game we can all play. :p

It's the end of the universe as they know it! The Master, the Rani, Davros and a fleet of Daleks, Weeping Angels and a ton of other Who baddies have teamed up to take on...

TIME

ITSELF!!!!!

The only ones who can stop him are the Doctor and his companions... but which Doctor? And which Companions?

List of companions

Limit of six companions. So, yes. You can recreate the Children of Time if you wish. :p The Brig, Captain Yates, Sergeant Benton, Grace Holloway count. No use of Time Vortex Rose or Doctor Donna.

6. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Yeah, they had lightning bolts around the doctor in the FOX movie during the regeneration scene, and it was just one part of the lameness.

Doctor Who is not Highlander.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it works if used, as it was here, to underscore a particularly powerful/noeworthy regeneration. Not all of them should be like that, though.

8. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    I was always a fan of the old UNIT ("Chap with wings there. Five rounds rapid."), so I'll take the Brig, Benton, Yates, and fill up the remainder with some redshirts. And to fully recreate the whole 1960's (or therabouts) feel, I'll take the Third Doctor. I'd throw in Colonel Mace and Ross Jenkins, but like I said, I'm going for 1960's UNIT, plus they don't count as companions.

9. saturn5

saturn5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2009
    I think Battlefield was a good goodbye to the old UNIT gang although the Brig did show up on The Sarah Jane Adeventures.

Here's a question, the Dr only has 1 more regeneration left after this one, would we like the series to continue after that?

10. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    The series will continue as it's already been established that the regeneration cycle can be restarted (The Master) and as long as it pulls in the ratings the BBC wil continue it's run.

At least here's hoping

11. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Here's a question, the Dr only has 1 more regeneration left after this one, would we like the series to continue after that?[/quote]

The Doctor can regenerate 12 times, which means 13 bodies, so after Matt Smith there can be two more, but as much as I think they should stop at 13, they will probably find a way to continue the story.

12. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Battlefield was supposed to be the Death of the Brig, but they changed horses mid-stream and decided to keep him alive. It was also supposed to be a 6-part story, which was cut to 4--this is why the beginning is so slow, and the end so sloppy. 1/3 of the script got cut for time, so everything was rushed, and logic (never a strong point with that era's writers) got thrown to the winds.

Hopefully the new management will concentrate on making good individual stories more, and series-long arcs less.

Also, in Time and the Rani, the Doctor says he is 953 years old (as is the Rani). Why is he barely over 900 in the new series? Did the writers not bother to check & just pull a number out of their sphincters, or is this some bizzare change caused by the time wars?

13. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I have no problem with the writers extending the character's life beyond the 13 lives limit, provided the writing is good and the feeling of mortality is kept, rather than him coming across as an immortal superman. Back in the 70's when the limit was introduced they were only on Doctor 4; now we're on Doctor 11, and if Moffat raises the quality of the new series like many of us hope, it's going to be tough to say good-bye to a show and a character that still has a lot of potential.

14. Darth_Punk

Darth_Punk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    You could argue that the doctor is on his last regeneration now. We saw his 13th regeneration in "Trial Of A Timelord" and technically he regenerated twice as David Tennant. The first time he didnt change his phsyical form because "he didnt want to". But he still healed after the dalek shot him, so therefore regenerated.
    So from that point of view, Matt Smith is technically the 12th doctor, and the 13th is evil.

15. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    technically the Valeyard in "Trial of a Time Lord" is a form of the Doctor between his 12th and 13th selves...

In Doctor Who Magazine #417 there is a short interview with both Matt and Karen. Benjamin Cook on his twitter page has uploaded part of the audio >HERE<

16. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    You can call me petty, but there are two things that irk me which modern "usage" english. OK, 3.
    1: February had 2 R's. Both deserve to be enunciated.
    2: the past tense of "to sneek" is "sneeked", not "snuck"

I found it annoying during the season 2 finally when the Doctor said 'snuck'. Hells bells, the 6th persona was supposed to be a devoted fan of the English language and literature. Why would a later incarnation fail in this way?

The 3rd item is one I notice a lot more in Torchwood, especially the Children of Earth series: a failure of subject verb agreement. "Is it him?" "It's them" "It's her." It's one thing when lower/under-educated classes make this mistake because it reenforces their status and character. But the Bloody Prime Minister should know propper Grammar. I would expect Rose or her mother to make these mistakes, but not someone who has attended any college or university.

And it isn't just Torchwood and Doctor Who. There was some Queen Elisabeth drama when, just after the sinking of the Spanish Armada, the passionate Virgin Queen runs down the beach calling "Is it him?" The bloody fricking queen of england, who has had tutors (and tudours) in French and English since she could crawl is not going to make such a pathetic error. Is the BBC lowering the standards for writers, or do the editors not know any better? Is this a sign that education in Britain has fallen to be nearly as bad as US standards?

Now,the main argument I've heard to counter this is "It's usage. The english language changes over time. This is the way it is now." Rubbish. That's like saying if 10 million people tell the same lie, and keep repeating it, it miraculously becomes the truth. Yes, words change meaning. Yes, the English language does change over time. But wrong is still wrong. Heck, we've dropped Thee, Thy, Thine and Thou to make grammar easier. Maybe that was a mistake. Maybe if we still taught and spoke English that way, these stupid errors wouldn't be as prominent.

17. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    OK I'm lost...

"...a failure of subject verb agreement. "Is it him?" "It's them" "It's her.""

By saying 'it's' instead of saying 'it is' is simply a matter of being colloquial. I can understand that 'Queen Elisabeth' wouldn't say it, but surely it is no big deal for the 'Prime Minister'

At least I think that's what you're going on about...

18. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    No, the problem is that "is" is a linking verb, thus the correct version is "Is it He" "It's they", or "It is she".

19. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    So the first three episodes of Matt Smith's first series have been confirmed:

Ep.1 The Eleventh Hour
    Ep.2 The Beast Below
    Ep.3 Victory of The Daleks

There are rumored titles for most of the other episodes as well, but I'll hold off on them for the moment.

The setting for episode 2 is apparently inside the TARDIS for the whole episode

also filming for episodes 12 and/or 13 for the series has been spotted at Stonehenge!

20. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I hope ep 1 has nothing to do with the scifi-ish series(s) of the same name.

21. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    I doubt it has anything to do with that 'Scifi-ish' series and is rather a clever play on a phrase which happens to correlate to the number of the Doctor's incarnation.

In other news:
    Scoop from SFX website

Neil Gaiman has announced that he shall be writing an episode for the 2011 series of Doctor Who!

22. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    [face_laugh] Silly British people. "Reenforces their status and character" [face_laugh][face_laugh] Hilarious.

Classism and admiration to inbred trust fund babies dependent upon the public purse. [face_laugh] You can't make this stuff up.

And I would venture to guess that the BBC is lowering their standards because when one of their reporters interviewed me and displayed surprise and admiration for the simple fact I was a native English speaker I found it rather odd. I suppose he may have just been frustrated by the large crowd of Spanish tourists, but I don't think I've ever surprised an American with my ability to speak their language. ;)

23. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I find it funnier that said petty person misspelled sneak. :)

I have a new sweatshirt that I picked out before seeing End of Time and is now appropriate: Let's do the Time War again.

So, does anyone think that The Woman will return?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    When I'm angry, I type to quickly, and typoes slip in.

25. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I was thinking of picking up the Doctor Who: Lost in Time dvd the other day... until I realised it didn't include the three surviving Tenth Planet episodes, or the four The Ice Warriors that still exist. Does anyone know if they are planning to release these stories on dvd at any time in the near future? I think those episodes are much more interesting than those on the current Lost in Time dvd, and it would be nice to see them on my tv instead of streaming them off the net.