main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gallifrey Outpost: New Dr Who Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by AmberStarbright, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    As is Tennant's official site - although it seems that the BBC is simply saying the reports of Tennant leaving during series 4 are false only because work hasn't yet begun on series 4 yet. I hope that he stays, because he seems to own the role so completely now. I think with the departure of Rose we've entered a new phase with him, and it's made his a stronger character than at least his immediate predecessor, if not all nine. I couldn't think of anyone worthy enough to become the Eleventh.

Anyway, the third series is looking good, though I hope the writers don't try to turn Martha into another Rose. We don't want the Doctor to develop such strong relationships with all his companions, else it would only detract from Rose's story.

2. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    The finals eps of season 2 were very good. As a whole i like torchwood, but 2 of the last 3 eps were weak.

3. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Personally, I would define "denying the rumour" as saying "Tennant is not leaving half way through series 4". But that is never said, all that is said is that a 4th series has yet to be commissioned.

*sigh*

4. NJOfan215

May 17, 2003
    I will hold my judgement untill i watch season 3, but i'm not sure the show could survive if tenet left. How many timess can the show's main characters change? Each of the three seasons we've had a different line up. That's going to get old after a while.

5. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    NJO, ever seen the originals? It's just what happens on Dr. Who. Either regenerated Dr's, or new companions.

6. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    The Dr can regenerate 12 times iirc

Tennent is the 10th Dr

7. Kwenn

Mar 30, 2001
    Yup, the Doctor has a total of thirteen lives. Of course, if we ever get the Thirteenth Doctor and the show's still going strong, I'm sure the writers will come up with a way to bypass that little piece of continuity...as long as they don't bring in the Doctor's son, as some rumours hold - though that's mostly based on Ten's "I was a dad once" line in Fear Her, and that was alluding to the existence of his granddaughter Susan. The "Son of Who" would, IMO, kill the show. Those sort of things never work, and the whole reason that the show manages to keep going with its renenerations is because it's the same character with all his experiences and emotions intact, regardless of his appearance. Simply having his son or similar take up the title of "the Doctor" would be a certified Bad Move.

8. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I'd like his 13th regeneration to be interfered with by the Tardis and it be a sex change as well.

That way the last Time Lord could become the last Time Lady (The Rani excluded) and could become pregnant etc...

The regeneration into a female body would then restart the regeneration cycle all over again.

9. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    Did anybody watch the Sarah Jane Adventures today?

I watched it with very little expectations, but it was absolutely fantastic! For something that's being advertised as a kids show, I was greatly impressed. The black, slightly chavvy girl, Kelsey, was a bit annoying though.

Lots of nods to Doctor Who though, with pictures of a Dalek, Brigadier and a young Sarah-Jane with K-9.

Also, an alien of the same species as Tosh's one-off girlfriend from Torchwood was in it for a few seconds.

10. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Smeg. I completely forgot about it. [face_frustrated]

11. Queen_Pixie

Jul 20, 1999
    [face_frustrated]Why is it all the campy, cool type sci-fi shows are only made in Britain? And us in the states have to wait(or be naughty) to watch them?

12. Queen_Pixie

Jul 20, 1999
    Okay, I finally watched the 2006 Christmas special(I needed an hour of un-interrupted computer time to do it). I'm so glad I didn't have to wait until this summer to see it. It was good. I'm so glad Donna didn't go with him, as she was an annoying twit, and I think he just asked her because he was still reeling from losing Rose. The preview of the series 3 premiere looked really good too, hope I can find that one the way I found the special.

13. Kwenn

Mar 30, 2001
    I watched the two-parter Torchwood finale last night, and the series (which has been fairly average overall) definately went out on a high. If only all the episodes had been as good as the four that opened and closed the series. Oh well.

And of course anyone who saw episode 13 will have noticed that awesome Who tie-in at the end: Definately setting up for Jack's return to Doctor Who at the end there. The noise of the TARDIS is clearly heard just after Ten's severed hand begins shaking. Jack has a big grin on his face and rushes towards the sound. The rest of the Torchwood team arrive to find him gone...taken away by something. Presumably then the Torchwood finale is set directly prior to Jack's episodes in Series 3. However it works, it was a great ending.

And a few Torchwood observations:

The religious overtones were pretty clear in End of Days, and Jack as a Christ figure was unexpected but reasonably well done (the whole saving the world from evil, dying, being reborn before being taken away by [the Lonely] God), though of course the Doctor himself has been compared to Christ, too (TV movie, anyone?).

Also, I thought the Jack/Jack story in Captain Jack Harkness was superb, and its end was genuinely moving. After countless episodes of bisexual misadventures that seemed to have been shoved in for the sake of it, it was nice to see a same-sex relationship treated respectfully. This really showed the love story of two people, regardless of gender or situation, and I applaud the writers and actors for pulling it off so well.

And, finally, was it just me, or did Billis remind anyone of William Hartnell's Doctor? Perhaps had the First Doctor been evil, the character of Billis may have been the result. A great villain, regardless, and hopefully he'll be back.

14. NJOfan215

May 17, 2003
    The doctor had a semi cameo in the last episodeof torchwood. It was very cool.

15. Queen_Pixie

Jul 20, 1999
    Check your local PBS stations, some have acquired the Eccleston episodes, and are gearing up to start airing them soon.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that mine is one of them, especially if they add the classic Who's back to the line up.

16. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    Quit your moaning ;)

Americans aren't allowed to complain about waiting. Waiting for other countries shows is just part of life. Just like here we need to wait for Lost and 24 and the likes. Heck, if I'm not mistaken Heroes hasn't even started here yet (wouldn't really know since I don't have a TV at Uni).

17. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Sorry if this has been answered already, but when do the new episodes come out?

Also, what did people think of Christopher Eccolsen's (sp?) appearance on Heroes?

18. Queen_Pixie

Jul 20, 1999
    According to the Outpost Gallifrey website, the rumors say Series 3 will start there at the end of March(either the 24th or the 31st).

19. Queen_Pixie

Jul 20, 1999
    Eccleston did a great job as Claude, but it was a bit weird seeing him with all that hair.

As for my previous post, 40 stations have now confirmed that they will be airing the Eccleston series(starting March 1st). Many of them have also bought the Confidentials.

Yay! Doctor Who with no commercials!

20. DreamingIce

DreamingIce Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 8, 2005
    Lucky you! Australia only got the basics of series one and two. We didn't even get the christmas specials. Christmas Invasion I was naughty and downloaded (and feel in love with it!) and am in the process of doing the same for runaway bride. *sigh*

I'm dying to see Torchwood, which also hasn't been seen here, and I'd like to see the Sarah-Jane Adventures too...

I swear, all the free to air tv that is shown over here is either stupid reality shows, crime shows, and soapies. *shakes fist*

Although, I was so very, VERY relieved to find out that ABC Australia are going to show series 3 this year, I was worried they wouldn't.

21. Queen_Pixie

Jul 20, 1999
    I did it for Runaway Bride too, it was very easy to find. And I didn't want to wait until this summer to see it. I also found the Friday Night Project that Tennant was in, that was hilarious, I haven't laughed that hard in awhile.

I have the first episode of Torchwood, but I haven't watched it yet.

22. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    I watched "The Runaway Bride" on YouTube. I didn't like it.

23. Queen_Pixie

Jul 20, 1999
    According to a few Brit friends, a part of the problem for us in the states is that most of us have never heard of Catherine Tate, let alone ever watched her in anything. So, she can be kind of, abrasive. I personally wanted to strangle Donna throughout most of the show.

Regardless though, I liked Runaway Bride.

24. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    I agree. I didn't know who Catherine Tate was, but even if I did, I could guarantee that I wouldn't exactly want to watch anything she was in if her performance in "The Runaway Bride" was any indication.

A friend of mine perhaps said it best when reviewing the episode on his website:

Rose was such a big part of the revived series' success (and, fairly often, appeal) how the show is going to deal with her departure is something of a burning question. The answer posed by "The Runaway Bride" is 'not very bloody well at all'.

Of course, that's not really fair. Come New Series Three/Season 29/David Tennant Season 2, we're going to have a new companion who could well go on to usher in even more success for the show and prove it's grown enough of a following to survive without Billie Piper.

Sadly, this is a few months off, and while we wait for Martha Jones to arrive, we have to put up with Catherine bloody Tate. I did my level best to ignore my dislike of her derivative, over-hyped and unfunny sketch show. Because bad comedy doesn't necessarily mean a bad Who guest star - think of David Haig, who as DI Grimm in The Thin Blue Line gives one of the most painfully unfunny performances I can remember, and yet makes a chilling villain in "The Leisure Hive". For God's sake, Sylvester McCoy was famous for putting ferrets in his trousers before Who. Form means nothing.

Unfortunately, this isn't a dramatic story, it's an overlong Children in Need sketch. Much like Peter Kay in "Love and Monsters", Tate isn't in this to act, she's in it as Catherine Tate. Her performance is nothing short of diabolical, loudly lisping "Get me to the church!" and "We are going to sue the backside off you!", ensuring that within a minute of the titles no-one bar chavs enthralled with Tate's shouty comedienne schtick gives a toss what happens to Donna. Apologists for this piece of attention-seeking from the production team (JNT may have had a penchant for pointless celebrity cameos in Ken Dodd and Dolores Gray, but at least they were only cameos) have claimed she gets better as the episode trudges on - she doesn't, you just get used to her, like roadworks outside your house. You just kind of accept the noise and do what you can to deal with it. It might seem a bit mental to spend an entire paragraph lambasting a guest star, but sadly Tate's irritating shouting is basically the episode.

25. Queen_Pixie

Jul 20, 1999
    Oh yeah, that actually described Tate perfectly.

For me, I like Runaway bride because I saw it not long after Doomsday(within a few days actually). The whole "Rose is gone forever" thing was still really fresh in my mind, yet.. I hate when tv shows dwell on actors that have left the show. I thought the writers did in fact handle the transitional episode quite well. It's obvious that the Doctor is still reeling from Rose's loss, and does dwell on it a bit, but not really as much as I expected.