main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena [Game] Breeder's Cup Classic

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by s65horsey, Nov 2, 2010.

1. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Zenyatta, arguably the best mare ever to race is going for an undefeated end in her 20th race on Saturday in the Breeder's Cup Classic.

Here is a list of horses running along with jockeys. I'll give 24 hrs if you pick the winner, and if you can pick all three (Win, Place, Show) you can have 72 hrs of colors. Zenyatta won the Breeder's Cup last year and only 1 other horse has ever won the Classic twice (Tiznow in 2000 and 2001). Zenyatta is the only mare to win a Breeder's Cup Classic. Tune in on Saturday to possibly see horse racing history!

Post Horse Jockey Odds
    1 Quality Road J. Velazquez 5-1
    2 Paddy O'Prado K. Desormeaux 15-1
    3 Haynesfield R. Dominguez 12-1
    4 First Dude R. Albarado 15-1
    5 Blame G. Gomez 9-2
    6 Fly Down J. Leparoux 15-1
    7 Musket Man R. Maragh 20-1
    8 Zenyatta M. Smith 8-5
    9 Pleasant Prince J. Rosario 30-1
    10 Etched A. Garcia 30-1
    11 Espoir City (JPN) T. Sato 20-1
    12 Lookin At Lucky M. Garcia 6-1

2. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
  3. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    There's a bit more Triple Crown presence than I'm used to seeing in the Classic this time around.

Win- Zenyatta
    Place- Lookin At Lucky
    Show- Quality Road

Go baby go! That's all I gotta say. :D Lookin At Lucky has been my personal favorite to watch so far this season, but I love Zenyatta. Such a powerhouse.

4. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Yeah that's why I decided to put this up as a game. We know and have seen quite a few of these horses before. I'll make my picks tomorrow I think.

5. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    I meant to record the Friday races, but I could not find them on TV. :_|

6. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Win - Lookin' at Lucky
    Place - Zenyatta
    Show - Haynesfield

I'll have to remember to watch. :) Wishing for safe races for all the horses and jockeys!

7. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    FTR I want Zenyatta to win, but I'm going to pick a different horse to win for kicks. I'm cheering for the ladies!

Win: Blame
    Place: Quality Road
    Show: Zenyatta

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Just throwing darts at the wall here ...

Win: Blame
    Show: Pleasant Prince
    Place: Lookin' at Lucky

9. Bri_Windstar

May 27, 2002
    Bah, I missed today's races. I haven't yet, but I plan on watching them online and reading some recaps.

Nothing's a given in any sport, especially this one, but it's almost tragic to think of Zenyatta not winning her last one.

10. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    The favorite, Uncle Mo, wins the Breeders Cup Juvenile (a race for 2 year olds) convincingly. This will be a horse to watch for the Derby next year. Run on the same track at a similar distance, but the Derby is slightly longer which can make a difference.

Edit: More results - Goldikova wins third Breeders Cup race. So far the only horse to do so. Zenyatta has a chance to tie her with today's race. Goldikova has won three straight Breeders Cup Mile races against the boys.

It is a good day for the girls so far!

11. Bri_Windstar

May 27, 2002
    OMG. By a nose. What a tremendous effort. I can't deny that I'm sad to see her lose, but you can't take away from the race she ran and you can't take away from the race Blame ran. Lookin At Lucky was also right there. I thought he might be in there for it as well.

I'm kind of speechless right now and riding on the adrenaline for sure. Amazing effort, Zenyatta. Still number one to me. <3

Nice call, Sey. :p

12. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    19-1 is not a bad record at all.

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

13. Bri_Windstar

May 27, 2002
    I fully admit to it being an irrational move, but I may have yelled at my tv when they crossed the finish line. :p

14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Just ask the 2007 Patriots. :p

15. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    Excellent race. I think if Zenyatta had just a few more yards or picked it up a couple seconds sooner, we'd be discussing history.........too bad I didn't see this contest thread 'till now, I wanted to play.:(

16. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    I still think we can discuss history with Zenyatta just not the history we wanted to.

I also think that maybe our focus was on the wrong mare. Goldovika made history today. Only horse to win three Breeders Cup races and its a mare.

Inty :p I was going to make that same joke!

I admit to feeling some relief that Tiznow's record of being the only horse to win the Classic twice is still intact. He's been my favorite horse for awhile now and I wanted his record to stand a little longer.

17. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    That's ok...............I once slammed a baseball bat against my living room floor during a Laker playoff game last May.:p

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

18. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    I threw my chair when the Jets went for it on fourth down last sunday.:p

19. Bri_Windstar

May 27, 2002
    That race was all over the news the day after. People I know who haven't the slightest clue about horse racing were talking about the results. She'll still go down in history books as one of the greats, deservedly so, but it's still a little bittersweet.

Hey, is there a general equestrian thread? I did a forum search but all I turned up were the various game threads done each year, unless I wasn't specific enough. I can see not having the need for it if it's not very popular. I just wondered. I've poked my head in around the time of the World Games and somehow missed the thread for it.

20. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    There was one, but it autolocked a long time ago. If you'd like to create a new one, we can do that. I believe I created a thread for the World Equestrian Games but I don't think very many talked with me.

21. Bri_Windstar

May 27, 2002
    I would support a new thread, as long as I wasn't the only one in it anyway. Making it now might not be the best move, though. I could be wrong, but I can't think of anything major coming up in any area of equine sports that would garner discussion, at least not an event on a national/international scale.

Well, there's the picks for Horse of the Year categories in the NTRA. Most seem to think Blame has HotY in the bag after the Classic.

22. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
  23. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Two days of Breeder's Cup start tomorrow!