main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Game of the Year: 2013

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Dec 27, 2013.

?

Poll

Poll closed Jan 31, 2014.
  1. Bioshock: Infinite

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Last of Us

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. Splinter Cell: Blacklist

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Grand theft Auto V

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  5. Battlefield 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  7. Need for Speed: Rivals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. Super Mario 3D World

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    This is it folks, the Game of the Year thread. We have winner' from previous Game of the Quarter threads and also some other top games from this year. Please vote above and discuss below.

May the Force be With You.

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    No "Other" option?

Darkslayer likes this.
  3. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    The "Other" option is only for Game of the Month threads.

4. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I'm surprised Tomb Raider isn't on here. I'm not sure what my GOTY is, but it's not any of these.

Django Fett33 and MrZAP like this.
  5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Assassin's Creed IV is my game of the year with GTA V coming in at a close second

6. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    The Last of Us, its been a long time since I had such an experience with a video game.

Life and Lazy Storm Trooper like this.
  7. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    GTA V. Tomb Raider would be my runner up.

8. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    It's been a good year for video games, but my choice would have to be The Last of Us. While it's well-known to have a thoughtful story with terrific characters, it's gameplay mechanics aren't shabby either. The way enemies react to your actions are fantastic, but it's the horror stealth sections that stand out. There is nothing more terrifying than being surrounded by Clickers and having to stand completely still.

BioShock: Infinite is a close second, with it having many of the same strengths of The Last of Us, although I felt it's gameplay was generally weaker. Assassin's Creed IV is terrific fun, but there are a number of nagging issues that prevent it from being GOTY. Haven't played GTAV yet as I'm waiting for the release of it's DLC before diving in.

9. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Well, considering these are my choices...Splinter Cell: Blacklist. Really great game, definitely not Chaos Theory-quality, but that was a different generation and a different style entirely. The story is pretty bland, but at least the dialogue works and the writers seem to understand how to sell everything. I miss Ironside and I feel the game lacks a sense of humour, but really, the gameplay is superb. It keeps you moving but it also rewards patience and caution. Much better than Conviction, plus SPIES VS. MERCS RETURNS AND IS AWESOME AND I NEARLY BROKE MY CONTROLLER SO MANY TIMES BECAUSE WOW THERE IS A LEARNING CURVE.

It's not really the best game of the year, but like Tomb Raider it was a really pleasant, enjoyable surprise. One day I'll pick up The Last of Us, because it's not only a great story, it's fun to play. That's something BioShock: Infinite got wrong. I'll hold off on a rant because wow that game was a let-down albeit a pretty and well-written one. Mostly.

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    This is a fairly ordinary concept, and would have been better not being a poll. I voted GTA V on the assumption it will be released for the superior PC platform (and thus truly open up GTAO to its potential) but there were several great games this year which deserve love. Tomb Raider, as has been mentioned. F1 2013 has managed to add a sharper learning curve to the franchise. AC4 was an interesting take on the genre. Europa: Universalis IV was an excellent strategy game but required patience and strategy and therefore would lose out in the "attention held" stakes to the sugared-up teens of the console generate who think Battlefield is impressive. Baldur's Gate II: EE was the welcome return of an old friend. Asetto Corsa was to Need for Speed what Formula 1 is to Indy. Far Cry: Blood Dragon is a hilarious homage to every cheesy 80's action flick I can recall.

For the most part, the selection of games in the poll is suggestive of why games and gamers aren't taken seriously.

MrZAP and Penguinator like this.
  11. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    When you press the melee button in Blood Dragon outside of combat, you give the finger with your robot arm.

GOTY 10/10 WOULD BUY AGAIN

12. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    It's all AAA titles with budgets set in the millions.

Why no love for the amazing indie games we've had this year? Where is The Stanley Parable or Gone Home? Where is Papers Please? (Glory to Arstotzka!) Where are the quirky little RPGs like the glorious Ni No Kuni? Or the sublime Fire Emblem: Awakening? Platinum put out 2 incredible, skill based action games this year, Metal Gear Rising and Wonderful 101, each with their own unique mechanics aesthetic and charm. Both of those are lesser than the infamously unfinished Battlefield 4, or this year's annual installment in the Need for Speed franchise?

I cry shenanigans on this entire thread. Shenanigans I say!

MrZAP and Penguinator like this.
  13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Press it a few time. He does it with both hands.

14. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    It's amazing. So beautiful.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I shot a guy with the bow - "He got the point".

YEAHHHHHHH

Barbecue17 and Penguinator like this.
  16. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

*Tears out a cyborg's heart*

It looks like we're getting to...

(•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

...the heart of the matter.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Runs someone over...

"Fancy running into you here!"

He's even better than Duke, is Rex "Power" Colt

18. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Cut an enemy's throat: "Knife to see you."

GOTY, ladies and gentlemen.

19. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Of the new games I played it would be:

1. The Last of Us
    2. Grand Theft Auto V
    3. Europa Universalis IV
    4. Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag
    5. NBA 2K14

20. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    I went with Blacklist as it was definitely the game I played the most this year (and the one I had the most fun with). I really liked Tomb Raider and Blood Dragon. Hate that both aren't on here. A Link Between worlds was very good, but I'm not sure it's GOTY material. Same with Arkham Origins. Fun but not GOTY.

I liked Infinite, but felt it was kind of overrated. I haven't played any of the other games listed on here.

21. Calgamer

Calgamer Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2012

I only have AC:Black Flag, GTAV, BF4, and Bioshock: Infinite from this list and I'm really torn between AC and GTAV. Both were great games. Anyone that has played the previous AC games will think this is just another title, but it's miles ahead of any of the previous 5 major AC titles. It's one of the most addicting games I've played in a long time.

Penguinator, I'm so glad someone else out there has played the old Splinter Cell games. Back on the original Xbox when Xbox Live was still in its infancy, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory were two of my favorite games. The spies vs. mercs gameplay was amazing, so it definitely makes me happy to know it's back. It's a little disconcerting to hear people say things like "you should try the Blacklist, it has this cool new multiplayer mode, spies vs. mercs" and I'm just like no, that's been around for a long time...

22. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    It's a lot of fun, perhaps more so than the single-player.

23. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    That statement is wrong let me fix it for you.

There fixed.

24. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Assassin's Creed 4, got me interested in the franchise when not even AC2 could do it.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm sorry if I mislead you into caring which one was COD and which was Battlefield. Let me put it this way; neither are interesting to me?