VIDEO Game of the Year: 2013

Discussion in 'Games' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Dec 27, 2013.

?

Poll

Poll closed Jan 31, 2014.
Bioshock: Infinite 2 vote(s) 5.9%
Last of Us 10 vote(s) 29.4%
Splinter Cell: Blacklist 2 vote(s) 5.9%
Grand theft Auto V 6 vote(s) 17.6%
Battlefield 4 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag 9 vote(s) 26.5%
Need for Speed: Rivals 0 vote(s) 0.0%
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds 1 vote(s) 2.9%
Super Mario 3D World 4 vote(s) 11.8%
Moderators: MarcusP2, The2ndQuest
  1. 07jonesj Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm not a fan of modern military shooters either; campaigns are short, linear to the point of tedium, and have incredibly dull stories. Multiplayer deathmatch has been done so many times over now that I'm bored of it. Prefer asymmetrical MP like the aforementioned Spies vs. Mercs.
  2. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    I really like how Spies vs. Mercs is also waaaay more brutal than the single-player. Not in terms of violence (though I've definitely winced at how the Spies knife Mercs) but in how unforgiving the game can be.
    07jonesj likes this.
  3. Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod

star 7
    Last of the Us is miles ahead of other games this year. Tomb Raider would be my runner up.
  4. Shadow Trooper Jedi Knight

star 4
    My vote goes to The Last of Us. It was probably my favorite game I have played on the PS3.
  5. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    Shin Megami Tensei IV.

[IMG]
    Nobody145 and Chewgumma like this.
  6. Darkslayer Force Ghost

star 6
    Batman: Arkham Origins.
  7. Darkslayer Force Ghost

star 6
    NBA 2K14 was atrocious.
  8. Point Given Mod of Literature and Community

Manager
    star 6
    heels1785, MrZAP, 07jonesj and 2 others like this.
  9. Darkslayer Force Ghost

star 6
    OK, you have a point, you are entitled to your opinion. I just thought it neglected Assosciation mode too much in favor of online play, and the man-crush the devs had on LeBron was beyond stupid.
  10. Boba_Fat83 Jedi Master

star 2
    1. Mario 3D World
    2. Last of Us
    3. A Link Between Worlds
    Overrated = GTAV
  11. Nobody145 Jedi Master

star 5
    Yeah, the Last of Us for me as well, just love that game. Though Zelda and Super Mario 3D World were also both very good. I have a soft spot for the Ratchet and Clank game too just for probably closing out the Future/PS3 era.

Elsewhere, glad to see the Last of Us winning a lot of awards, though GTA and even Zelda are taking a few spots too here and there.
  12. 07jonesj Jedi Master

star 4
    I was disappointed with Into the Nexus. Not only was it incredibly short (the devs stated it was somewhere in between the 4-hour Quest for Booty and the 15-hour A Crack in Time - who knew that meant it would be 5 hours long?), but the story was awful. It rehashed Tools of Destruction in a lot of places.

I think the franchise might be done for me. It's been 4 years and 3 games since A Crack in Time, and for me, it's been 3 abject failures. Tools of Destruction & A Crack in Time had such a rich story with great humour, and a lot of creativity. There isn't much of that in these last three.
    Last edited by 07jonesj, Jan 11, 2014
  13. Nobody145 Jedi Master

star 5
    Yeah, Into the Nexus definitely wasn't anywhere close to Crack in Time or Tools of Destruction, but at least it was closer than the other recent games. Not that that is saying much, so yeah, really lowered standards after the last few games. Probably the nostalgia from all the references helped my impression of it too. I agree with your criticisms, I just like continuity references.
  14. Chewgumma Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Ratchet and Clank is going through a bit of a rocky period at the moment. Unfortunately it reminds me of what happened to Crash Bandicoot after Naughty Dog gave up on the license.
  15. DebonaireNerd Jedi Master

star 4
    To be honest, I voted Bioshock Infinite because it was the best pick of the games listed, not the best of what I have played this year. Of course, i've played Bioshock Infinite in its entirety and I really loved it. But the game of 2013 for me has to go to Far Cry 3. An extremely immersive experience with eclectic gameplay mechanics, great characters, astonishing visuals and a great skill system. Easily the best FPS/RPG hybrid since 2000's Deus Ex.
  16. 07jonesj Jedi Master

star 4
    Far Cry 3 is a 2012 release. ;)

One I haven't played but keep meaning to get around to. Both the core game and Blood Dragon.
    Last edited by 07jonesj, Jan 12, 2014
  17. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    Blood Dragon is a 2013 release, though, and seriously you can give the finger to badguys with a cyborg hand. GOTY right there.
  18. MrZAP Jedi Master

star 5
    I haven't played any of those. I've only bought two games this past year (that came out in 2013), and those were Europa Universalis IV and Age of Empires II HD, so while those have both been AMAZING (the former for being a generally brilliant new experience and the latter for being the return of an old and good friend) I suppose I can't really judge. But EUIV really has been brilliant.

There are still a few games that came out last year that I haven't picked up and really want, though. The Stanley Parable, The Wolf Among Us, and Democracy 3 all look really good.
  19. Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Of the games I played...Blacklist. Not the best Splinter Cell game out there, but I loved the game overall.

I would say EUIV, but I'm still on EUIII since I don't have the money on hand to get IV yet...
  20. DebonaireNerd Jedi Master

star 4

Ooops. Then I guess the game of 2013 is Bioshock Infinite after all. But I cannot recommend Far Cry 3 enough, just make sure you have a beefed up system to run it. can't comment on Blood Dragon but I hear it's a throw-back to 16-bit gaming and cheesy 80s action films.
  21. TrandoJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Rayman Legends, A Link Between Worlds, and Super Mario 3D World I have yet to play but I imagine one of those would be the best of the year for me alongside TLOU if I ever get to them. The Last of Us and Battlefield 4 are the only games I've played on this list despite owning ACIV. So far I mean, Infinite and Splinter Cell i'm definitely eager to play and I suppose I have to play GTAV or I'm not part of society....
  22. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 10
    lol best trolling post in games?

You can do it with BOTH hands too. GOTY.
  23. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    The cyborg hand is the one that matters, though.
  24. Darkslayer Force Ghost

star 6
    What's wrong with Origins. If people were told Rocksteady had made the game it would have gotten similar reviews to Asylum and City.
  25. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    Actually I'm going to go out on a limb and say literally no one's praise for Arkham Asylum was rooted in its coming from the development house that brought us Urban Chaos: Riot Response.
    Last edited by Ramza, Jan 13, 2014
    Chewgumma, MrZAP, Ender Sai and 2 others like this.
Moderators: MarcusP2, The2ndQuest