main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Game of the Year: 2013

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Dec 27, 2013.

?

Poll

Poll closed Jan 31, 2014.
  1. Bioshock: Infinite

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Last of Us

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. Splinter Cell: Blacklist

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Grand theft Auto V

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  5. Battlefield 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  7. Need for Speed: Rivals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. Super Mario 3D World

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I'm not a fan of modern military shooters either; campaigns are short, linear to the point of tedium, and have incredibly dull stories. Multiplayer deathmatch has been done so many times over now that I'm bored of it. Prefer asymmetrical MP like the aforementioned Spies vs. Mercs.

2. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I really like how Spies vs. Mercs is also waaaay more brutal than the single-player. Not in terms of violence (though I've definitely winced at how the Spies knife Mercs) but in how unforgiving the game can be.

07jonesj likes this.
  3. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Last of the Us is miles ahead of other games this year. Tomb Raider would be my runner up.

4. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    My vote goes to The Last of Us. It was probably my favorite game I have played on the PS3.

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Shin Megami Tensei IV.

[​IMG]

Nobody145 and Chewgumma like this.
  6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Batman: Arkham Origins.

7. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    NBA 2K14 was atrocious.

8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

heels1785 , MrZAP, 07jonesj and 2 others like this.
  9. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    OK, you have a point, you are entitled to your opinion. I just thought it neglected Assosciation mode too much in favor of online play, and the man-crush the devs had on LeBron was beyond stupid.

10. Boba_Fat83

Boba_Fat83 Jedi Master star 2

Feb 22, 2004
    1. Mario 3D World
    2. Last of Us
    3. A Link Between Worlds
    Overrated = GTAV

11. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, the Last of Us for me as well, just love that game. Though Zelda and Super Mario 3D World were also both very good. I have a soft spot for the Ratchet and Clank game too just for probably closing out the Future/PS3 era.

Elsewhere, glad to see the Last of Us winning a lot of awards, though GTA and even Zelda are taking a few spots too here and there.

12. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I was disappointed with Into the Nexus. Not only was it incredibly short (the devs stated it was somewhere in between the 4-hour Quest for Booty and the 15-hour A Crack in Time - who knew that meant it would be 5 hours long?), but the story was awful. It rehashed Tools of Destruction in a lot of places.

I think the franchise might be done for me. It's been 4 years and 3 games since A Crack in Time, and for me, it's been 3 abject failures. Tools of Destruction & A Crack in Time had such a rich story with great humour, and a lot of creativity. There isn't much of that in these last three.

13. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, Into the Nexus definitely wasn't anywhere close to Crack in Time or Tools of Destruction, but at least it was closer than the other recent games. Not that that is saying much, so yeah, really lowered standards after the last few games. Probably the nostalgia from all the references helped my impression of it too. I agree with your criticisms, I just like continuity references.

14. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Ratchet and Clank is going through a bit of a rocky period at the moment. Unfortunately it reminds me of what happened to Crash Bandicoot after Naughty Dog gave up on the license.

15. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    To be honest, I voted Bioshock Infinite because it was the best pick of the games listed, not the best of what I have played this year. Of course, i've played Bioshock Infinite in its entirety and I really loved it. But the game of 2013 for me has to go to Far Cry 3. An extremely immersive experience with eclectic gameplay mechanics, great characters, astonishing visuals and a great skill system. Easily the best FPS/RPG hybrid since 2000's Deus Ex.

16. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Far Cry 3 is a 2012 release. ;)

One I haven't played but keep meaning to get around to. Both the core game and Blood Dragon.

17. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Blood Dragon is a 2013 release, though, and seriously you can give the finger to badguys with a cyborg hand. GOTY right there.

18. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I haven't played any of those. I've only bought two games this past year (that came out in 2013), and those were Europa Universalis IV and Age of Empires II HD, so while those have both been AMAZING (the former for being a generally brilliant new experience and the latter for being the return of an old and good friend) I suppose I can't really judge. But EUIV really has been brilliant.

There are still a few games that came out last year that I haven't picked up and really want, though. The Stanley Parable, The Wolf Among Us, and Democracy 3 all look really good.

19. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Of the games I played...Blacklist. Not the best Splinter Cell game out there, but I loved the game overall.

I would say EUIV, but I'm still on EUIII since I don't have the money on hand to get IV yet...

20. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

Ooops. Then I guess the game of 2013 is Bioshock Infinite after all. But I cannot recommend Far Cry 3 enough, just make sure you have a beefed up system to run it. can't comment on Blood Dragon but I hear it's a throw-back to 16-bit gaming and cheesy 80s action films.

21. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Rayman Legends, A Link Between Worlds, and Super Mario 3D World I have yet to play but I imagine one of those would be the best of the year for me alongside TLOU if I ever get to them. The Last of Us and Battlefield 4 are the only games I've played on this list despite owning ACIV. So far I mean, Infinite and Splinter Cell i'm definitely eager to play and I suppose I have to play GTAV or I'm not part of society....

22. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    lol best trolling post in games?

You can do it with BOTH hands too. GOTY.

23. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    The cyborg hand is the one that matters, though.

24. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    What's wrong with Origins. If people were told Rocksteady had made the game it would have gotten similar reviews to Asylum and City.

25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Actually I'm going to go out on a limb and say literally no one's praise for Arkham Asylum was rooted in its coming from the development house that brought us Urban Chaos: Riot Response.

Chewgumma, MrZAP, Ender Sai and 2 others like this.