main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Game of Thrones Creators to [no longer] Write and Produce a New Series of Star Wars

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Wait i just watched the announcement video and saw what Kennedy said about the new films breaking new ground and I'm all like-
    [​IMG]

for real tho I'm optimistic ATM

2. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I'm not writing it off, I'm watching it on tv. I prefer reading other things.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

3. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    Haha fair enough. I was also being extremely hyperbolistic. I really do suggest reading them though. Or at least giving them a chance if you have someone you can borrow one from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Boo. But I'd be a lot unhappier about this were it not for the high attrition rate among Disney hires, particularly the end of Trevorrow.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  5. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    To think that this thread is making me agree with jamminjedi of all people. This is thread is like a peek into the Bizarro Lit dimension.

In all seriousness, GRRM wrote some truly fantastic works of space opera. His first two novels (Dying of the Light and Windhaven) are extremely moving character studies done in really interesting sci-fi settings, and Tuf Voyaging is both a better sci-fi comedy and environmentalist meditation than Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Can the prude who edited put their name to the edit, since I wouldn't write something so ****ing terrible?

Jesus will still love you if you do.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks, those I'll take a look at.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Note that D&D writing SW doesn’t necessarily mean adult and gritty and gory. I presume SW will still be SW, as much as PG-13 does have a lot of leeway and this is still uncharted territory.

But I think of all the potential concerns, a super violent, bloody, and sex-filled SW should not be one of them.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Moderator editing doesn't show which mod does it anymore. I'd have to manually write my name or something.

And if it's any consolation, I've been told I resemble Jesus. The white one, not the ethnically-accurate one.

10. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    So my prediction is now that Ben Solo turned evil because as a teenager he was molested by a female Dark Jedi.

...yes. Yes, that's a Denning joke.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Given the speculation that it will be Old Republic - maybe they'll adapt some of its plot threads that are pretty GoT-ish anyway?

Transformational plagues, undead, etc. for example - GoT had Greyscale (and wights) - Old Republic had the Rakghoul plague (and the zombie plague in Red Harvest).

12. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    Isn't that the speculation every time something is announced with little detail?

13. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Stopped clocks and all that.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    Well, I might as well cover my bases.

This is totally going to be a Hutt thing. But I hope not. D&D don't have that something that RJ would bring to my ideal Hutt butt trilogy.

So I guess my uninformed speculation for this is: Quinlan Vos, somehow.

15. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I don't get it either. This is so incredibly exciting! I can hardly believe it's real.

Bunch of killjoys.

I feel confident if there was an announcement about a new SW movie by Spielberg, and everyone who sees it will receive 1 million dollars, the response would be something like: The Gooniefication of the franchise will ruin Star Wars. And Lucas didn't need to give people 1 million dollars.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  16. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    DP

17. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Confession Time.

I have only read the books, have not gotten around to watching any of the show. So I have no idea what to expect here.

18. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I’m actually excited. Everyone seems to love Game of Thrones so maybe we lucked out. I’m certaintly excited for Rian Johnson’s trilogy.

19. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    [​IMG]

20. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Meh, can't say I'm excited for this news. Last year, when I heard Johnson was getting his own trilogy, I was interested. Then I watched TLJ and I've basically given up hope on Disney's Star Wars.

Don't have much of an opinion on the people involved, aside from knowing that GoT is a huge thing (I don't have HBO and the summary of the first book made me decide that kind of story isn't for me). That's assuming they stay there, considering what's happened with the Solo film so far.
    Hope they're not going overboard on the movies, that's sure a lot of movies in the pipeline. I guess they want to build up a Star Wars cinematic universe, as it were?

kalzeth likes this.
  21. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    Exactly. You’re getting the heads of the the best/most popular show to ever run on TV, and people are like ‘Nope, they’re not as good as GRRM’. Of course theyre not! GRRM is a once in a generation talent that takes 5-10 years to work on each book.

Plus they’ve really been in control of that storyline since season 3. I read and watch, several times. The first season is word for word. The exact same book as movie. Clash of Kings you start to see some variance from where characters are, what they say. And then for Storm of swords is 1000 pages long so there’s no way to do it all.

Not to mention Feast of crows and Dance of Dragons is basically the same 1600 PF book split in half. If they hadn’t changed what GRRM did we wouldn’t have had half the dang characters in season 4. It would have been all Dorne and Essos. Dani isn’t even en Westeros where the books currently are left off. So everything that’s going on they set up. And it’s good stuff. Scoreboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    @Stymi - It's pretty clear, and not even from GOT alone, that these guys are... pretty problematic without GRRM's foundations to rely on (not that I dispute your assessment of his work ethic). Hiring them for Star Wars is NOT a good look except in a very superficial "hey this thing is big right now" way, and that's without factoring in how the record of Disney-LFL hires has been both shaky and painfully homogeneous. It's really not that hard to understand why not everyone's happy.

23. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    "We were responsible for X-men Origins: Wolverine" is definitely something that really doesn't look great on a resume, that's for sure.

24. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    ...well this is disheartening.

The only positive thing I can see coming out of this is the possibility of them bringing on some of the extremely talented actors from GoT who make their **** writing work. And if they hire some talented (and hopefully diverse) directors, this series could be salvaged.

25. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Wow. Still amazed by all the negativity. People have been talking about wanting a Game of Thrones level of storytelling in Star Wars for a long time. And we get the producers and writers of the tv series signed on and what do we get from the fans...............

[​IMG]