main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Game of Thrones - HBO (Book Spoilers must be masked/HTR)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sith_Lord_Linkoping, Nov 12, 2008.

1. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Stannis was the heir Ned was thinking of when he wrote that line. As Robert left no trueborn children, his brother Stannis is next in line for the throne.

2. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    I've started to rewatch the series, I am loving the show / books that much :)

Has anyone else picked up that the map in the opening credits subtly changes throughout the series?

For example, in the first episode, the map lastly pans to Penthos. In the next few episodes, it changes from Penthos to the Drothraki Sea. (Because Daenyrs obviously leaves Penthos after the first episode?).

Just started watching Episode 5, and this is the next obvious change, the map pans across the Eyrie.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, i suspected it changed but wasn't sure until towards the end when they focused on (River Run?) between Winterfell and King's Landing.

No, I know- but since Stannis is characterized as a less than ideal candidate, suddenly having a true son would seem like a preferable solution.

4. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Stannis is a very honor driven man. He would actually make a pretty great king as far as justice and what not goes. But, much like Ned, he's unwilling to play the game that involves much of the scum at court. Stannis would be good for the people, bad for the aristocracy. He's only "less than ideal" because the courtly types wouldn't like him, not because he's a bad man.

5. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I dunno. Stannis' relationship with Melisandre freaks me out.

6. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Well, there is that. But I'm not entirely sure that relationship reflects on Stannis' character traits. I can't help but feel that Melisandre has bewitched him. He obviously still struggles with much of what she wants of him.

7. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    True, but he continually gives in to her. What happens at Storm's End still gives me the heebie-jeebies. But then again, if it were not for Melisandre, ASOS would have ended quite differently.

8. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I agree, Stannis does continually give into her. But it's all in pursuit of what he believes is just and honorable. And I don't think he'd care too much about becoming king if Joffery weren't a bastard. Even being king of what he is makes him weary.

9. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
  10. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    [image=http://thebinder.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/timmay.jpg]

11. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
  12. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    The Theon Greyjoy rap!

My name is Theon and I'm here to say
    You Starks have tormented me for most of my days.
    I'm from the Iron Islands where we drown our men
    Now bow to me or else I'll sing this rap again!

Break it down, Hodor!

13. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    You get more of a sense of this reading the books --- I would love to read a cookbook based on 'A Song of Ice and Fire' :)

Although I think I will pass on the olives stuffed with maggots...

14. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Well, these guys are making an attempt:
    http://innatthecrossroads.com

Some of that stuff looks really tasty.

15. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    That is soooo bloody awesome! :)

16. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I've never been a fan of fantasy (books or movies,) had never heard of the books, and hadn't watched the episodes as they aired.
    With that said, I watched all ten episodes on demand this week and became completely hooked.
    Probably won't be reading any of the books (I heard the adaption is pretty faithful anyway) but what a great show.

As an aside, I posted this over in the Prequel Trilogy forum but Iain Glen who plays Ser Jorah Mormont reminds me of a younger Alec Guiness (could have played a great Obi-Wan.)

17. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    You should pick up the books anyway. The first book is pretty straightforward, so converting it into TV is relatively simple. By my count, only one chapter from the first book was omitted (one where Jon tries to get Sam appointed to the Stewards).

However, books 2-4 are a lot more complicated, meaning that if HBO is going to stick to the 10 episodes per season format, a lot more is going to be left out.

Plus, the book shows a lot more nuances than the show can. Ned reflecting about his past, Bran's dreams, Robert's Rebellion, and the more detailed family trees.

18. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I hear the second season of Game of Thrones is to be called Clash of Kings?

Is the show changing its title, or is it going to be Game of Thrones: Clash of Kings?

The acronym for the latter made my friend and I giggle.

19. Arutha2321

Arutha2321 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 26, 2009
    Nope, the series is to be called Game of Thrones throughout its run. Maybe they'll acknowledge the second book's name somehow, but I doubt it'll be anything major.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The opening credits, IIRC, said "Based on A Song of Firce & Ice" so presumably they'll adjust that credit to say "Based on A Clash of Kings".

21. Chipster92

Chipster92 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2008

Actually, "A Song of Ice and Fire" is the name of the entire book series as a whole.

Book I: "A Game of Thrones"

Book II: "A Clash of Kings"

Book III: "A Sword of Storms"

Book IV: "A Feast for Crows"

Book V: "A Dance with Dragons"

22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    *A Storm of Swords.

23. Avian005

Avian005 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2009
    I am hooked on the series, but I do not know if I want to read the books quite yet.

24. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    Also, when you read the books (like that one snippet of dialogue in the series between Cersei and Eddard), "Game of Thrones" is a saying in-universe that often comes up.

It is probably fitting that the television show keeps this as the series title.

25. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006