main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Game of Thrones - HBO (Book Spoilers must be masked/HTR)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sith_Lord_Linkoping, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    They all look terrific, IMO, and I'm extremely impressed and gratified that this production is moving forward in such a visible, tangible way!

2. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    I'm ecstatic about Dany's casting. She gave a knockout performance in the Tudors, and her look is almost spot-on for a slightly older Dany.

Arya also looks great, from what I can tell. Sansa I'm not so sure about. She seems a bit young, most of all. I thought they were going to skew the characters a bit older.

Theon's fine (that picture is creepy, though) and he's got credentials. I think that they'd have a hard time finding a bad actor for either of the Mormonts, and there's certainly a large enough pool of older Shakespearean actors to pick from for the dozens of wizened warrior roles.

Jaime I'm not so sure about. The actor's great, for sure. He's given very strong performances in his other roles. The actor that they've chosen, though, seems a bit too, well, masculine. He's more the rugged handsome, Aaron Eckhart look, and kind of lacks the pretty, perfect Jaime of the books.

3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Not so sure about Jaime or Sansa, but the others look great for their parts, especially Dany and Theon.

So, IIRC, now the only major-ish roles left to cast are Bran, Cersei and Khal Drogo.

4. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    The Hound still needs to be cast as well, and he's probably as important as any of those.

5. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Not so much in the first season/book, but yeah I'm wide-eyed with curiosity to find out who they've cast as Sandor Clegane/the Hound.

6. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    There are lots of roles in the first book that become much more important later on. Jaime, Tywin, the Hound, Theon, etc. In fact, when I first read the second book, I had already forgotten who Theon Greyjoy was; his role in the first book was that forgettable. And let's also not forget that Jaime was pretty much off-screen for the entirety of the second book.

Oh, and how could I forget that Samwell needs to be cast too?

7. Radical_Edward

May 2, 2002
    Thorne, too. No doubt they're going to play up the ******** drill-sergeant role for his character. I bet that they're also going to give Luwin plenty of screentime.

8. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

I'm actually surprised that Dani is being cast and made part of the show. Given that she doesn't interact with the main group much, or at all, it's a surprise that her part is even being included. That she's being included indicates to me that they may plan on diverging from the books fairly quickly.

9. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Raven, I don't follow your logic. Dany's being cast makes you think the show will diverge from the books? She's an integral part of the story; what makes you believe the producers would nix her?

10. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    The A plot of the entire series is "who is the rightful heir to the throne?" The Targaryens were the true royal lineage, but they were usurped because of Robert, with most of them being killed but with Dany and Viserys being sent across the ocean. So Robert isn't the true king. But when Robert died, the throne should "legally" pass to Joffrey...if it weren't for the fact that Joffrey is Jaime's son, not Robert's. That's what precipitates most of the conflicts of the upcoming books. Each thinks he has a legitimate claim to the throne:

Stannis' claim is that he is the next eldest Baratheon brother, but he is not well liked by the people.
    Renly is younger than Stannis, but much more popular, so the banners flocked to him.
    Robb believed that kingship should be earned by merit, not bloodline, so he felt, as heir to the north half of the kingdom, he should be king.

Meanwhile Dany, who is the true rightful heir to the throne, is stuck on the other side of the world, left to fend for herself and gather armies to take back what is rightfully hers...but will anyone accept her? So Dany's plight is integral to the plot of the whole series.

11. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Does it impact the overall plot? Definitely. If all seven (or so) books are made, I'm quite certain that what Dany does will be extremely relevant to the Seven Kingdoms. But lets face it: as of book four, the interaction between Dany and the primary cast has been minimal. There was notice in first few books that the primary cast had gotten news of what she was up to, declaring herself queen, but aside from one old man and some assorted assassins there hasn't really been any connection between Dany and the main cast. That can work fine for a season - take a look at the Helo/Sharon plotline in Battlestar Galactica, those two carried a third of season one without interaction with the primary cast (when Tamoh finally got on the main sets for BSG again there were cast and crew who had no idea who he was or why he was there!).

But in the long term? Can a television audience be really expected to essentially have two ongoing and only barely related (by events) shows in the same world for four years before they finally cross over? I just can't see it flying. Whenever a book is turned into a show or movie, some changes occur. If Dany is in the show, then I think that it's extremely likely that you can expect her character to enter the main part of the story earlier rather than later. There are different ways that it can be done - for example, her character arc to date could be compressed into one season, and then season two could bring in elements of events that won't happen until much later in the book series.

Finally: Dany is NOT the rightful queen. Her cousin Jon is the rightful king, son of Rhaegar and Lyanna. Whether or not anyone in the books will realize that, who knows. :)

12. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Nice summary! I've never understood readers who say they skip the Dany chapters! For me she's the core character.

13. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I must have missed the part where it said Jon Snow was related to Dany, and not Ned Stark's blood at all. Oh well, this gives me another excuse to read the series again.

14. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    It's never said straight out. However, there is a lot of evidence that he is the true heir. Also, if you look at the things that have happened to Jon over the course of the series to date, you can find that Stannis has done similar things. Broken sacred vows to sleep with a red woman, used fire to destroy evil things and drew a magic sword from the fire, saved the Wall in its hour of greatest need and now commands it, etc. Stannis appears to be actively trying to fulfill prophecies that Jon is fulfilling naturally as he goes.

15. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    And Jon Snow did reject Stannis' offer to restore the Stark name to him...

Hmm...

16. Radical_Edward

May 2, 2002
    Actually, Jon the nephew of Dany, not her cousin (even though he's older).

Even though Dany won't have interaction with the main cast until at least the fifth season, which is a pretty significant assumption that this, or any, show will last that long, especially since it hasn't been picked up for even its' first season, there are major reasons to include her. Her story is an exploration of the East, which is a more fantastical and magical place than Westeros, and therefore attracts attention and viewers. More importantly, though, her story is the story of dragons. Anything with dragons in it draws viewers in droves (although, the presence of dragons also causes many to recoil and reject whatever the story is, but the hope has always been that HBO viewers will be discerning enough to see quality, even when its dressed in medieval armor and swords, and occasionally magic and fantasy)

17. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I have always found it disturbing to myself that I still want Jon and Dany to get together even if the are nephew and aunt. It is a family tradition afterall for the Targs.

18. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001

19. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I like her.

I just don't know how she will look as a blonde though. Also isn't Cersei supposed to be pretty busty in the chest? Lena is very small in that department.

20. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Here you go!

21. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Nice work!

I hope that she will get her eyebrows done blonde as well though for AGoT. She will also need Green contacts or CG filled eyes.

Once again, I like her!

22. Radical_Edward

May 2, 2002
    WOW. Very interesting choice. I would have pegged her for someone more along the lines of Catelyn, but with the right makeup I'm sure she'll do an excellent job.

Her casting does reinforce me apprehension about their choice for Jaime. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau just doesn't look the part, and doesn't look anything like Headly, who plays his twin, either. He's just too old to play a pretty, youthful 32-year-old. The actor is nearly forty, and he does not look his age in a bad way.

23. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    [image=http://www.squarehippies.com/images/actors/nikolaj_coster_waldau/nikolaj_coster_waldau27.jpg]

[image=http://www.squarehippies.com/images/actors/nikolaj_coster_waldau/nikolaj_coster_waldau33.jpg]

[image=http://www.squarehippies.com/images/actors/nikolaj_coster_waldau/nikolaj_coster_waldau38.jpg]

I think Nikolaj fits the part nicely! Maybe he's aged since any of the above pics were taken, but to my eye he's just the right age, look, type, style, etc. for Jaime.

As to how he matches up to Headey, keep in mind that fraternal twins -- which a brother and sister pair must always be -- are not identical; they're genetically unique siblings who developed in distinct gestational sacs inside the same uterus. IOW, they can look as different as any two children of the same parents might look.

Assuming they both have their hair bleached and are made up properly, I for one don't see any problem with the casting.

[image=http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Film/News/Pictures/1999/07/21/Lena_Headey.jpg]

[image=http://www.sf-radio.net/media/lena_headey.jpg]

[image=http://www.leninimports.com/lena_headey_gallery_20.jpg]

24. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Despite being fraternal twins, they were able to pass for each other when children and still were supposed to be fairly similar in adulthood, I thought.

25. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Yeah that is true I forgot that. Cersei points that out. They used to dress opposite to see if they could fool the household when they were young and even fooled their mother a time or two until Jaime hit puberty.