main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Game of Thrones - HBO (Book Spoilers must be masked/HTR)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sith_Lord_Linkoping, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    Sci-Fi Wire has a picture of Sean Bean as Eddard Stark.

[image=http://scifiwire.com/assets_c/2010/06/stark-gameofthrones-thumb-550x826-40902.jpg]

2. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Looks great, from what little we can see of it! I'm especially glad to discover that the ages of the children have not been advanced too much; Arya, Sansa, Jon ET AL. are still children and not teenagers. Dany will be a teenager, evidently, but that makes sense in a wider cultural sense, given the sexual nature of her role.

3. Arutha2321

Arutha2321 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 26, 2009
    Have you already seen the new set of photos for the series? Link

4. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    There are some great pics... Ive still seen nor heard anything on if they are going to even bother with Targ eyes. I want to see Dany and Vis with violet eyes!!!!

5. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    hmmm they had a kick ass trailer today before Boardwalk Empire showing EVERYONE in it. Ofcourse I knew I would be dissappointed with the violet Targ eyes though....Danys close up has her having blue...lame, it is a trait of her family!!

6. Arutha2321

Apr 26, 2009
    Here we have an AWESOME making-of-video. Enjoy! :)

Link

7. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Has there been any pics released of the Others yet?

8. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008

Don't think so. I want to see them though.

This show is looking really good.=P~

9. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Ive already said this in the Amp. forum Thrones thread but I ll say here aswell: Those of us that have Starz and HBO come April will be in for a real treat I think as we have Thrones on HBO and a new sexy, gritty Camelot on Starz!! Cant wait for April now myself.

10. MadDevil

MadDevil Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2004
    Did anybody else catch the 15 minute preview HBO aired Sunday night? For those of you who haven't, it's on HBO's website.

I thought it looked pretty damn good. Can't wait for the rest of the first episode on April 17th.

11. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Yep, I watched it and liked it.

It's tough discussing this show when there are two threads for it - This one and the one in the Amphitheatre.

12. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I didnt watch it. I decided not to piss myself off by watching only 15 and then having to wait 2 weeks for the rest. lol

13. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Im so happy now...

14. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    Why, oh why, did they only show one hour? It deserved a feature-length pilot, or at least two episodes back to back.

It all looks great so far. Now we just need MORE

15. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

Is it available through itunes? If not, I am a sad, sad panda.

16. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Its a very faithful adaptation thus far. They call the Others the White Walkers but thats not bothering me too much. They spent some ducks on this show - you can tell by the quality of the cinematography - and the acting thus far is superb. Sean Bean, Lena Heady, and Peter Dinklage are as excellent as I expected them to be. Kit Harrington and the young actors that play Arya, Danerys, and Bran are revelations. I'm anxious to see how the dragons will look. Fan boys can rejoice because this looks bonafide.

17. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I really enjoyed it. I haven't read anything but the Prologue to A Game of Thrones and I felt like what I've seen and read was really very faithful.

I'm very glad that Sean Bean didn't come off as Baromir at all, because I think there was the danger of that happening because of the similar setting/genre.

18. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Boromir is no where near Ned Stark I promise.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Really loved the first episode, looking forward to the rest. Great cast, some interesting characters and it looks great too.

If it is a full-on fantasy epic (my only prior exposure to this franchise being various RPGs/boardgames I was ebaying for a comicshop I once worked for, so I don't know how much of the fantasy-genre this series is -ie: will there be dragons/etc or are fictional kingdoms the extent of the fantasy?) I'm liking GOT out of the gate much more than LOTR by a huge margin.

20. Nordom

Nordom Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2004
    Well this will be some sort of spoiler, be warned.

Yes there are dragons but not all that many.
    There is some magic but not a lot. There are "wizards" but they can not do all that much.
    There are ghouls or zombies, people that rise from the dead, you would have seen them in the first ep. Again not all that many.
    There are creatures that are called giants.
    There are references to some called "The children of the Forest" that might mean elves or faires but might be something else.

But overall there is not all that much "fantasy" stuff in here, certainly less than in RPGs or boardgames and less than in LotR. The books are really great and well worth a read.

BTW I really like your ST:Deep Space Nine reviews, keep up the good work.

Regards
    Nordom

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's a promising take on things then, and the contrast in approach to LOTR makes a comparison more valid.

Thanks, I'll be returning to them soon.

22. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    I think they are moving a bit too fast, they should pace them selves.

But I'm not in the TV biz so what do I really know?

23. Arutha2321

Apr 26, 2009
    Well, they need to fit an 800+ page book into 10 hour-long episodes... I think it's logical it's a bit rushed. That being said, I'm really happy they are trying to be as faithful to the books as possible.

24. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    I find the pace appropriate. I'm sure they want to get to King's Landing so they can get the action going as soon as possible. Also, the main events of the first parts of GoT focus pretty heavily on magical stuff (the Others) and on children's problems, both of which are anathema to television ratings. Better to get it out of the way so that the show can go on, both metaphorically and literally, in terms of getting more episodes and more seasons from a more popular product.

25. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Was Summer and Bran not awesome? That rocked, great effects there.