main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Game of Thrones - HBO (Book Spoilers must be masked/HTR)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sith_Lord_Linkoping, Nov 12, 2008.

1. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I get that way every time I re-read the series. It's like re-reading Chewbacca and Anakin Solo's deaths in the NJO. You know it's coming and yet every time you re-read it, you want it to somehow happen differently.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    BTW- has Martin ever stated how many books he aims for the series to be? Or if he even has an end point in mind?

Just curious how plausible it'll be for the TV series to conclude the story properly, even with a 4-5 year buffer.

3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    There are to be seven books in total: The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring following A Dance with Dragons.

4. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
  5. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    I just finished reading Game of Thrones just before the 9th episode aired.

One thing that I believe that the television series lacks, is a sense of scale. For example, Robb Stark leads an army of 20,000 men, but you don't get a sense of scale watching the show. Surely HBO could have utilized the MASSIVE software by WETA, to at least show a few scenes of armies marching.

BTW, now more than half-way through Clash of Kings and loving it...

6. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I really doubt they have the budget for that. They're probably stoked that most of the major battles are shown offscreen (except for the conclusion to CoK, but I won't spoil that for you.) GRRM alluded to this on his blog, since he's scripting that particular episode and is struggling to fit it in to the budget constraints.

7. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Yeah, the final battle of ACOK will be a joy to see on screen. They might even need 2 episodes to contain it all.

8. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    The final scene was a clincher, in the book it always made me wonder, Is Daney a future hero, or Villian?

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The way the episode plays, she could be either.

Not quite as intense an episode as the last one, but, beyond the awesome ending, the Starks' reactions were all good stuff, as was Tyrion and his father. Even the two smaller scenes with the court schemers admiring one another and the old man faking his frailty were nice touches.

I was dissapointed there was no "Queen reacts to Joffrey's actions" post-beheading scene, though.

One thing I need clarification on: who was it the Queen was sleeping with this time? The gay knight? Or the the wine boy Lannister?

I might just break habit and try to read the first book between seasons to hold me over (though I'll not proceed ahead of the show with the subsequent titles).

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Lancel Lannister, Robert's former squire and her cousin. The wine boy.

11. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    This was a solid ending to a really good season. I was dreading the reveal of the dragons the entire episode, because I was not confident that they wouldn't look terrible. Fortunately, I thought they looked great and did their job to make that final scene as awesome as it needed to be.

Hey, that old man has a name.

And that name is General Veers. :p

12. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    Great finish to the season! I'm a few chapters into the third book now...

13. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Best brace yourself now.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah, that was Glover? Neat.

15. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    She's a future hero and wife of Jon Snow, imo.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Gonna throw a theory into the ring, based just on this first season, assuming I'm remembering my details from the first episode correctly.

Anyways, this came to mind with the reintroduction of the blacksmith apprentice who is a bastard son of Robert, suggesting he has a larger role to play than just a piece of evidence in Ned's investigation.

The Queen, IIRC, mentioned in the first episode that she had lost a child once- and I *think* she said it had black hair.

So, what if this blacksmith apprentice, thought to be a bastard of Robert, was actually a true son of Robert and the Queen's, whose death was faked (for whatever reason) and had the child passed off as a bastard?

I forget if there was a prostitute that was established to be the blacksmith apprentice's mother or not, though, so that would negate the theory.

17. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    You really should; the books are a great read so far. I've come to enjoy the narrative structure used by Martin. Instead of Chapeter 1, 2, 3, etc. the books are broken up by character. Ie: Tyrion, next chapter is Arya, etc.

18. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I find this unlikely. Cersei would be super sure to off any actual child of Robert's, particularly one that was actually hers.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, she seemed fond of it going by her comments in that first episode. The later discussion between her and Robert could hint there was a time she'd have wanted it to work with Robert, so perhaps those contribute to her not wanting to kill the boy (who is still half-Lannister, which could be another factor), so long as he was removed from contention in the line of succession for the throne.

20. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    That would be an interesting twist, but as of now, Gendry is just a normal bastard of Robert's.

21. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Anyone else hear that Gerard Butler is going to be Stannis?

22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    False rumor.

As to Gendry, the books tell against his being Robert's heir. In the books, Cersei aborted her only child with Robert, not had him and lost him. That's a small enough detail that the show can tweak, to get Cersei more sympathy up front, but making Gendry the true heir is much too big a change for the show to be going for that.

23. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Not only that, but once Robert died, Cersei began hunting down and systematically killing all of Robert's bastards. Remember in episode 5 when Ned and Jory visit a brothel to see Robert's latest, um, conquest? Yeah, Cersei had them both killed.

24. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    It's even more explicit in that she sent the Gold Cloaks after Gendry specifically.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh well, seemed plausible- would have played well into Ned's "heir" phrasing even if the note was destroyed.