main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Game of Thrones - HBO

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Sith_Lord_Linkoping, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    Here's some interesting news today.

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Fantastic!

3. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Well, I've never heard of Game of Thrones and I'm not the biggest fantasy buff in the world, but HBO could make the phone book into an watchable series - so I'm in.

I also like the part about HBO increasing the number of series on its sked. More original HBO programming can only be a good thing.

4. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Awesome news. Game of Thrones is the beginning to THE great fantasy epic of the 21st century.

5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Interesting choice. Not sure how well it will adapt to television format, and how much would have to be left out, but I'll certainly be keeping an eye on this to see how it turns out.

6. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    It really all depends on how many episodes per season they're willing to let them have if it's green-lit. What's the usual HBO season length?

7. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Looks to be about 12-13 episodes, standard. Might be able to fit it all in, but it'd have to be fairly quick-paced. They could switch up the order slightly, avoid the jumping back and forth between chapters from the books to make the story more coherent.

8. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    It'll fit. There are lots of scenes that are long but introspective. We don't need the camera to linger on Ned as he sits and waits, or on Jon as he thinks or whatever.

9. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Yes, it will fit beautifully into 12-13 1-hour episodes. The entire extended LOTR trilogy is about 11 hours, and those films cover most of the 1000-page novel's contents. GoT is about 800 pages and has more room to breathe. This is the way fantasy epics should be done!

10. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    Since the name of the show seems to be "Game of Thrones" will they mainly focus on the first book in the first season and if the series get renewed for a second season they will focus on book two "A Clash of Kings"? 1 book, 1 season? :)

HBO feels like a good home for this production.

11. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Yes, the idea is to devote an entire 12-episode season to one book. Game of Thrones first season, Clash of Kings second season, etc. From what I've read I understand GRRM will be penning at least one key episode per season.

As to the name of the show in ads and program guides, I imagine that with the second season they'll start referring to it as "A Song of Ice and Fire". This happened with the publication of the books as well; the "Song" monniker did not appear till the second book came out, so as not to confuse the public.

12. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    So changing the show's name after a season is a way not to confuse people?

13. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Who else thinks ending a first episode with Bran's accident would be perfect?

14. PadmeA_Panties

PadmeA_Panties Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    *is very happy*

15. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I do. It's the sort of event that would get people talking and coming back for more.

16. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I bet The Red Wedding will look great on film!!!!!

17. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    It's a lot of material to cover - but bring on the men with swords!!!=P~

18. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    That's a lot of material to cover in the first episode, to lead up that event: The lost Night's Watchmen beyond the Wall, the execution of the "deserter", the finding of the dire wolf pups, the arrival of King Robert to Winterfell, the establishing of just about every major character in the book. Not that I don't think it can be done in an hour, but it will require some judicious editing of the material -- hopefully not to the detriment of the drama or the characters.

19. PadmeA_Panties

PadmeA_Panties Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Best bet would be to start off with a 2-hour first episode.

20. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Pfft. Forget HBO. Let's make a sweded Game of Thrones.

21. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    If they can't afford more "Rome" how can they afford this?

22. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    What I heard was they canceled Rome specifically to free the budget for this.

23. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Damn! Finish "Rome" first!

24. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Time to address the giant elephant. Considering how long Martin has gone between novels wouldn't the show eventually catch up to Martin in a few years unless he speeds up his output?

25. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    That is a possibility, though if they've only just greenlit the series I wouldn't expect anything on our screen until at least 2010, which would give GRRM some time to at least get the next book out and hopefully cracking on the following one.