Amph Game Of Thrones (NO SPOILERS for unaired episodes!!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Apr 17, 2011.

1. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    Edit: This thread has been altered to a completely non-spoiler thread. Once TV episodes have aired then information about those events (and their conterparts in the books) can be discussed, otherwise all other material cannot be brought into this thread. A thread for discussion of the books (and therefore TV series spoilers) can be found here.

I know next to nothing about this series which debuts tonight on HBO.

Wikipedia entry

Review ONE TWO THREE

The first episode introduces a dizzying array of plotlines, almost to the point where you wonder whether writer/creators David Benioff and Dan Weiss can keep all the fantastical plates spinning. There are all kinds of treasonous intrigues and clandestine affairs going on, and it's to both the credit of Game Of Throne's cast and director that the show remains a gripping watch, in spite of the amount of dialogue and backstory it has to impart.

Sean Bean heads up an exemplary, eclectic cast as Eddard Stark (his friends call him Ned), the lord of the northern castle of Winterfell. As Game Of Thrones begins, Stark is asked by his old friend, King Robert, to become his left hand man, after his previous employee died in mysterious circumstances.

It later becomes apparent that sources close to the king are all plotting to overthrow his reign, while far away to the east, two factions are joining forces to make their own claim for the throne.

Game Of Thrones is gory, adult stuff, and appears to have been designed specifically to rile Daily Mail readers, with its foul-mouthed young princes and unapologetic nudity. The rather self-consciously sensationalistic moments don't always sit well with its grittier, more dramatic points, but then again, it would probably feel a little too po-faced without a few moments of crude levity

My only experience with GRR Martin stuff is his Wild Cards series which I have followed for literally decades now, and I have heard good things about the Game Of Thrones books overall. Some 6 million dollars have been spent on the first season and the reviews are good.
  2. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    Yeah looking forward to this, was about to open a thread about it, but got lazy. I wouldn't have topped your copy/paste, italics and link TRIPLE COMBO though.

They're only airing it a day later in the UK, so I'll be watching it tomorrow night.
  3. Kiki-Gonn Chosen One

star 6
    Also don't know much about this but I'm thinking it will make a good 'catch up' show on DVD.
  4. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    From what bit of googling I have done it appears magic is either low or nonexistant. There appear to be dragons forthcoming, I assume perhaps there may be other fantasy creatures but I have yet to locate a bestiary.

[image=http://gameofthrones.net/images/Westeros_Maps/map_of_westeros.jpg]

There are other continents besides this.
  5. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Magic is viewed as largely myth and tricks, but it exists.

Looking forward to this, though I probably won't watch until a few episodes are out (and the new book has arrived. :p)
  6. Trip Force Ghost

star 4
    the books are pretty badass.

got a bad feeling about the teevee version, tho
  7. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    Visually this is very impressive.
  8. DarthMane2 Force Ghost

star 4
    Don't know what a purist will think of it, but I thought it is was pretty good. Never boring and had me wondering what was going on or what would happen next. Already enjoying some of the characters. Good start.

And I pretty much knew when I first saw them together that the queen and her brother were skrewing.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello Community and Lit moderator person

Manager
    star 10
    Just saw it. Glorious. Some alterations and misplaced scenes, but I don't care. Stellar adaptation.
  10. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    Tyrion. Is. Awesome. Love that little guy.
  11. Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus

star 5
    A little too graphic for my taste, but all around awesome. Now I want to read the books.
  12. Jedi_Reject_Jesse Force Ghost

star 7
  13. Kyptastic VIP

star 5
  14. AaylaSecurOWNED Force Ghost

star 6
    I came in here to say that.

15. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Since I and everyone I discuss this stuff with read these books 5-10 years ago it's quite cool to see people that have no idea what's coming. :)

I'm guessing we're spoilers free (for the TV show only obviously) in here?
  16. GrandAdmiralJello Community and Lit moderator person

Manager
    star 10
    Yeah, let's do that, since the Amph is being inconsiderate. :p

Luna: Books are just as graphic. Also, it's HBO. :p
  17. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Yeah, the books are plenty graphic. I just started Game of Thrones early last week, and now am midway or so through Clash of Kings... and more than a few times I've had the thought "HBO's going to love that scene".

The books are awesome, and I'll check out the show when I can. I don't get HBO though, and have no interest in the channel, so it'll have to be online or some other method.
  18. wannasee Force Ghost

star 4
    I watched this show and enjoyed it.

I liked specifically:

1) the giant sword
    2) the little girl (not like that) hitting the bullseye
    3) the little boy's (not like that) precocity
    4) the hooker's boobs and the blond girl's butt and hips (like that)
    5) the imp (not like that)
    6) the teen girl acting like a teen girl (not like that)

and generally:

1) everything else. I could go into it, but I'm not going to write a long post that nobody reads.

I'm excited for this show.
  19. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6
    Could anyone give me a gauge of how far they got in this episode? I'm curious as to how the pacing's going down, considering how gigantic the books are.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello Community and Lit moderator person

Manager
    star 10
    They got to the Jaime/Cersei scene, with Bran climbing
  21. Teegirloo Force Ghost

star 6
    I never read the books. The T.V. show looks interesting. I don't have HBO may have to catch it on Hulu.
  22. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    How quickly do episodes go up on hulu for most shows? I've used it on occasion, but not frequently.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello Community and Lit moderator person

Manager
    star 10
    I don't think HBO full episodes go up on Hulu.
  24. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 6
    Fairly certain HBO doesn't participate in hulu, holmes.

Might I suggest A Song of Fire and Ice, by George RR Martin?
  25. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Thought I'd seen somewhere that this was going to be on hulu, but I could be mistaken. Or it could have been a mistake wherever that was mentioned.