main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Game Of Thrones (uh i guess it's done now? Edit: No!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Apr 17, 2011.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Hey, people also like it when characters say really funny things! Sophistication.

Yeah the Tywin as killer thing just makes no sense. This is a guy who has repeatedly elevated and protected his son who is a dwarf, which it should be obvious from the wedding dumb show is an extremely low and embarrassing status in this world. Literally all the guy cares about is his family's position and legacy. Which also is going to be interesting going forward because even if he suspects Tyrion (though I think he'd have to know Tyrion's not that dumb), Tyrion is currently the only person who can give Tywin a legitimate heir (though that might be hard if his wife has escaped). Unless Jaime is forced to leave the Kingsguard so he can be forced to marry someone, which is possible.

I think it's almost too obvious for the Tyrells and Oberon to be involved. I could still see it and wouldn't think it was nonsense if it happened (not to mention Olena's very obvious remark to Sansa about people dying at weddings made me sure in that moment someone was going to die at this one). But I do think they both stood more to gain from Margaery being Queen long enough to produce a legitimate heir. Still, it's possible.

I realize that Ser Dontus and Brienne (assuming she would go with them) have basically no other place to bring Sansa than to Liza. Brienne doesn't know she's crazy and it's the only family Sansa has left with any kind of power. And it's also where Arya and the Hound are going, setting up a fantastically interesting (though by no means guaranteed) reunion.

Of course, this is complicated by the fact that Baelish may already be married to Liza by now and Liza is crazy as well. But I wonder if as cautious as he is, whether Baelish might actually think this could be his opportunity to finally make a big play for power with the Lannisters in a weakening position. Still, I think he's more careful than that. He knows that people who make big plays for power in this world wind up having it done right back to them and are often dead rather quickly. So who really knows.

I think this is the most eager I've ever been to see the next episode, though. Moreso than when Ned was killed because then we knew Arya was escaping. Mostly because I'm legitimately worried for Tyrion, though I think Tywin is the one who may be able to save him in the end. Still, in this show...

Oh and by the way... whatever happened to Gendry and his quest to row to freedom? What happened to the Brotherhood Without Banners? To Thoros and his T-1000 abilities? There are still a number of people we have yet to see again this season.

Ender Sai and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Thoros is probably drunk.

Miana Kenobi, Darth Guy and Ender Sai like this.
  3. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    It's two episodes into a new season - you're going to see other characters.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well yeah I know, I'm just saying there are still a lot of characters I'm looking forward to seeing.

5. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    So thinking about it, I think:

Olenna did it. It comes down to motive and opportunity. We know Tyrion is framed. We know Cersei and Jaime didn't do it. That leave Tywins as the only Lannister suspect. I don't see how Joffrey's death helps him. He always puts family first and to kill family? I don't think so. And honestly, I think he probably commands more respect and power than Joffrey that if Joffrey were to have attempted to harm him, Tywin would have squashed him like a bug.

Sansa? She has the most motive certainly. I just don't think she's capable of the crime. Sure she handled the cup. But so quickly, when did she poison it? I suppose it could have happened, but surely she'd know it would make Tyrion look guilty. And despite how miserable her life is, I think she does realize Tyrion is the only one standing between her and Cersei.

Margaery? Don't see it. She knows what he's capable of but so far she seems excellent at manipulating him. I could see her waiting until she was pregnant before killing him. Though I'm not sure if she's capable of killing him. Motive yes. Opportunity though... she literally has the most times to off Joffrey and make it look like an accident. Why choose her wedding day?

Olenna though. She's got the motive: She knows Joffrey is a monster. She knows that one day Margaery might not be able to control him. She has the opportunity at the wedding table where she's close to his cup. But more than that, she gives us hints:

Remarking about Robb's death at a wedding and how horrible it is.
    Her entire speech to Tywin.
    But most importantly, she's the first to react to Joffrey's choking. She's the one that identifies it as choking and calls for the guards while everyone else is too stunned to react. Why? Because she KNEW what was happening. As far as her being capable, we know that she's a force to be reckoned with just based on her previous conversations. I am surprised that she wouldn't wait until the marriage is consummated but perhaps she feared Margaery wouldn't survive that. Additionally, when was she going to get a better opportunity to kill the king? She did help plan the wedding. She probably made sure she was close enough to Joffrey. She also probably had an idea of most of the entertainment so she would know when to act. And she probably could have arranged for the poison to get in via all sorts of means. No one had better opportunity than her.

6. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The actor who plays Gendry tweeted that he isn't going to be in this season at all, but the producers have a plan for him in season 5. So we'll just have to see.

7. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000

Starkbucks?

8. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000

Do(rn)e.

9. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Costa Joffrey

Coffee to die for

10. OdRevus

OdRevus Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2008
    Whoa, hey now. My theory on Tywin was based purely on Joffrey being a Baratheon. I took into account his "my family is better than yours" attitude, and just figured that maybe he wouldn't mind ghosting his incest-born grandson if it meant elevating an actual Lannister.

That said, I know who it is now. Upon my second watch, I really admired the subtle attention to details in the scenes leading up to Joff's death.

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Thing is, it's impossible to elevate an "actual Lannister" without overthrowing the Baratheon dynasty entirely. Tommen and Myrcella are "Baratheons" and products of incest same as Joffrey. If Tywin in any way admits they don't have Baratheon heritage, he loses the claim to the Iron Throne. The whole reason Robert was put on the throne and not Jon Arryn or Ned Stark is because Robert's (and Stannis' and Renly's) Targaryen grandmother gave him the best claim. As Tywin has no recent or traceable Targaryen ancestors, a Lannister would not have any more valid a claim than, say, a Greyjoy. And that's not a good thing when you're trying to rule all those kingdoms from Aegon's seat.

12. OdRevus

OdRevus Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2008
    Aye. The entire theory was based on my admiration for Tywin's smarts. I figured maybe he'd concocted some ridiculous, manipulative scheme that would end in a Lannister on the Throne. MAYBE. I never said I for sure only suspected Tywin. I was just fond of the idea.

13. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Have you considered another puppet master, one who is invoked often but never actually seen?

14. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

15. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The people that think its the Tyrells confuse me if only because Margaery so definitely proved last week how uninterested she was in power. She spent the whole episode restraining Joffrey, when even other family members who knew his behavior was inappropriate were too scared to say anything. I think she's demonstrated how selfless she is, but I guess that's not enough to put crazy conspiracy theories to rest in the minds of some people.

OdRevus likes this.
  16. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Don't listen to his lies!

OdRevus likes this.
  17. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Come to think of it, has the name of Varys been mentioned yet as a possible person of interest in the whodunit of the Purple Wedding? He keeps saying that he serves the Realm, but what if the Realm = a Targaryen, and he is working in the shadows to have the ancient monarchy restored?

Lauré :)

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Obviously Ned Stark reincarnated into one of the pigeons. He sacrificed himself to choke Joffrey.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Ulicus , yankee8255 and OdRevus like this.
  19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Hot Pie?

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    HOT PIE WILL TAKE WHAT IS HIS. WITH FIRE AND BERRY FILLING HE WILL TAKE IT.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Dude, Hot Pie was totally the one responsible for poisoning Joffrey. Think about it. Who else could make a pie that size?

Jedi Merkurian and OdRevus like this.
  22. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    What color is the sky in your world?

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

"Do you want to be a queen?"
    "No. I want to be the Queen."

OdRevus likes this.
  24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    That quote gets so abused. Part of Margaery's talent is the ability to phrase her aspirations in a way that people around her can understand. Since they have no real concept of altruism, she has to talk about an expanded ability to help others in the vocabulary of self-interested, power-hungry realpolitik. This is basically identical to the way she encourages Joffrey to treat his uncle better by reminding him of how fun the pie will be, instead of just scolding his bad behavior. It's efficacious and clever.

Her real intentions are obvious, though. Consider, her very first act on becoming Queen is to give away a massive amount of food to the poor. She could hardly wait to do it. It was like that was her main hope for the whole thing. We also have a hint of this in her conversation with her grandmother. There, while everyone else is talking about expensive necklaces and how beautiful she must look, Margaery expresses a sharply different desire. She asks for a necklace of birds. In the one moment where she will be most remembered in all of history, she is saying she doesn't care about vapid things like beauty or wealth or status. If she has to be remembered, she wants to be remembered in this way that is uncomfortable and hard to look at. She wants to be reminder to everyone about all the innocents who are suffering during the war, of which the birds would of course be symbolic. Her grandmother then warns her sternly about revealing her true intentions.

But it's too late, really. We the audience have already seen. What she really wants to is reach out to the downtrodden, regardless of whether that makes her look important or not.

Ulicus likes this.
  25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I love you.

OdRevus and Point Given like this.