main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Game Of Thrones (uh i guess it's done now? Edit: No!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Apr 17, 2011.

1. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    Yeah I find it weird that people think Jon wants to go for the Iron Throne. He's one of the only ones who has seen what's coming to the wall. That's where he is taking the fight. He only went to Winterfell to get his brother back (failed) but took his home back which got him troops to fight what's coming from beyond the wall.

Sent from my iHorse

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    He doesn't want it which makes him ideal to get it...

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    First off. Does anyone actually think Jon is going for the throne? Anyone?

Secondly, the line of succession is a nonsense, it was before the show or books started. If you accept Robert as the King, it's all about seizing power beyond that*. But at least we can agree Marge is a filthy, manipulative, dishonourable person.

*and no doubt it happened many times before Robert.

Jedi Merkurian and IamZam like this.
  4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yes, Robert seized power after a massive war against a widely despised king. However, he still needed legitimacy. One major reason he was put forward as King instead of an older, wiser rebel lord such as Hoster Tully or Jon Arryn and Robert's friend Ned Stark was because of his Targ heritage. This is not unusual in the real world-- every French dynasty, for example, derived their legitimacy from their relation to the previous dynasty. The Windsors claim descent from William the Conqueror. **** like this matters in a feudal society.

And Robert didn't have an easy time either. Balon Greyjoy justified his rebellion by saying he only pledged fealty to the Targs and other lords such as Doran Martell plotted against the Baratheon dynasty.

This is in stark (pun!) contrast to the way the show handles it: succession by murder is common and easy, unlegitimized bastards can rule above legit claimants, etc.

Yes, feudal rules are stupid. But most people in a feudal society don't know that. Change comes slowly-- our world still has vestiges of the middle ages it needs to shake. No one ever collectively decides to change fundamental rules of society instantaneously. If we discard the rules of succession, Dany has no reason to invade Westeros and there can never be a stable dynasty again.

5. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Or, quoting a line from one of my favourite films:

Marcus Aurelius: Won't you accept this great honor that I have offered you?
    Maximus: With all my heart, no.
    Marcus Aurelius: Maximus, that is why it must be you.

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Oh no, I didn't mean to imply I thought Jon was going for the throne, just thinking out loud. Still, this is GoT, and circumstance could certainly put him there. Really it boils down to Jon or Dany. I think Jon lives through this. Dany? Not sure. She could very well sit on the throne, and Jon rules the North, and they live happily ever after.

7. IamZam

IamZam Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 19, 2002
    I really don't see Jon caring about the Iron Throne the way Dany does. He is far more concerned with the bigger threat of the White Walkers. Dany seems to be the only one currently focused on the Iron Throne( besides Cersei) as she feels it is her birthright as the last KNOWN living Targaryen. Her reaction if and when the truth about Jon comes out should be great if they handle it right.

Also as far as Arya is concerned, doesn't she still think Jon is at the wall. How much does she know about recent events? I'm sure in her travels as a Faceless Man she was able to pick up a lot of information from listening in unnoticed. If she knows Jon and Sansa are back at Winterfell it is almost a guarantee she would most likely head there, though making it there is another story. I'm sure there will be more people coming off her list, and more faces to add to her collection.

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    There is no way Jon will ever be a candidate for the Iron Throne. He is a bastard, and thus not even a noble. I guess it's a "plausible" outcome in this show because succession is dictated only by fan favorites and murder. But there is nothing remotely plausible about him inheriting anything from a plot standpoint.

9. IamZam

IamZam Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 19, 2002
    Theoretically he could be legitimized. Also he didn't want to be king, the other houses declared him king thanks to Lyanna. It can be done, and I think there is precedent, as they reversed the banner colors because of his bastard status.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    If Jon (with the help of Dany and her boys) were to save the realm from the threat coming through the Wall, and word of his feats were to spread all over the seven kingdoms - plus the revelation that he has a bit of Targ blood in him - do you honestly think that a great many people would not hesitate to acclaim him as king, just like the northern lords did?

Or are you still needlessly bitter because your pinup girl got blown up by fiery green ****?

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Dany is Jon's aunt. Do males in this pseudo-feudal fiction still get a higher claim?

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes, also Jon is conceptually the son of the Crown Prince as well, so it would have gone to him in any case, were he legitimate.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    If he were legitimate, he would have the best claim being Rhaegar's son and a male. Targ females never inherit over Targ males. A civil war decided that. Practically every house outside of Dorne has this as a rule.

14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I assure you, it is far from needless.

This is exactly the issue. If Dany were to recognize his parentage, she would be surrendering her own claim, or at best accepting him as an equal co-ruler/husband. Which would, in practice, probably still advantage him. It wouldn't be likely to make her any more accepted in Westeros than she is going to be otherwise. So why would she do this?

15. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    She could use Varys' teleporter

BigAl6ft6 and Darth_Invidious like this.
  16. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I think that Jon would content himself with ruling the North (along with Sansa). He's never struck me as the kind of guy who wants absolute power. I could see him potentially (should he live of course) becoming an important/trusted adviser to whomever the ruler ends up being at the end of all this.

17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I watched the first episode again last night. It was odd seeing them so young. And there was a breathtaking amount of actors names in the credits.

Darth Punk likes this.
  18. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    And Bran hasn't aged well

BigAl6ft6 and Diggy like this.
  19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Cersai, looking upon comatose Bran in episode 2. "Handsome one, isn't he?"

They were all so young and innocent.

Darth Punk likes this.
  20. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
  21. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    In season 5 episode 6, when Littlefinger meets with Cersei, he advises her to wait till the battle at Winterfell is over between Stannis and the Boltons and take back Winterfell from the victor while they are still weak. He offers to send the Knights of the Vale for her to take back Winterfell and in return, he wants her to name him Warden of the North.

Now obviously things change but he is currently at Winterfell with the Knights of the Vale and Jon's army and the North is pretty weak at the moment. While Jon being named King in the North doesn't help him, he is technically in position to continue his original plan if he so chooses. And with Sansa rejecting him, he doesn't have anything to lose by not siding with the Starks.

Just a thought while I'm re watching past seasons.

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    now as for Margaery going ka-blewy, it was a fairly tragic end for someone who prided themselves on playing the game through political machinations (and bed hopping!) but her character didn't exactly have the most to do the last two seasons, on trail, jail, out of jail, gets exploded. and things are paring down to mostly the characters who were introduced in the first season and it's going full war of families and everyone vs. white walkers and dragons and stuff. In the end she was out maneuvered by Cersei (with a good helping of exploding green stuff). But Margaery still went out with her wits about her, she knew what was going to happen and tried to get herself and everyone out of there. So it's really the religious zealots fault she's dead. I don't think Cersei was actively trying to explode Margaery, she just didn't mind that she exploded Margaery. I don't think Cersei thought Tommen would throw himself out a window for it but she did probably think he'd be easier to control.

Still, even though I said Margaery in the wars to come couldn't be a big game player, on the flipside, if she had somehow tried to work her way into marrying Khaleesi, I would be absolutely totally okay with that if they went that way.

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Onto episode 4 of the rewatch and in comes Samwell. He was a **** from the beginning as I remembered.

Padme501st likes this.
  25. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Defend yourself Sir Piggy!