main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Game Of Thrones (uh i guess it's done now? Edit: No!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Jorah's an old perv, but is he right?

To Dany: your ancestor Aegon the Conquorer Didn't seize six of the kingdoms because they were his right, he had no right to them, he seized them because he could.

If so, my point stands, it's all bs.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yes, Aegon the Conqueror created his title. He didn't seize one that had existed for centuries already and had an established tradition and line of succession. When he came to Westeros, there was a King of the Rock, a King of the Reach, a King of the Mountains and the Vale, a Storm King, a King of Winter, a King of the Iron Islands and Riverlands, and a Prince(ss) of Dorne. He brought those seven (eight because he took the Riverlands from the Iron Islands) realms under him.

He also had three gigantic dragons-- the likes of which his world has not seen since. He also made large concessions such as allowing the conquered "kingdoms" virtual autonomy and converted to the Faith of the Seven in order to appease the locals. He also lost one of his dragons and sister-wives in a failed invasion of Dorne. Even though he had the "nuclear weapons" of his world, he still did not have an easy time.

Again, yes, feudalism is bull****. I doubt you could find many people on Earth in 2016 CE who would disagree. ASOIAF shows extensively that it's a bunch of nonsense and the dumb aristocratic squabbling holds back the vast majority of the population who have no stake in such fights. But in Westeros 300 years after Aegon's landing? Feudalism is pretty much all there is. Sure, there are different systems in Essosi realms such as the Free Cities and Slaver's Bay and among the Dothraki, but they're mostly middling alternatives at best (and they all have outright slavery unlike Westerosi with their technically-free peasants) and democracy as we think of it certainly doesn't occur to anyone. Even people such as Varys and Littlefinger who view the "game of thrones" with contempt play along anyway.

Because it is all they know it's all they can work with. Following the rules of succession ensures some semblance of stability and continuity. Although there were two major civil wars over succession, the dynasty Aegon started lasted 300 years because of the rules. In contrast, in GoT Jon Snow was elected King in da Norff because a child said so. What about the legitimate Stark who was sitting right next to him? No one is going to support her claim? She has a much better claim to Winterfell according to literally thousands of years of tradition. She's a Stark and most Northern lords loved and supported her brother, father, and grandfather. She's not some bastard who walked into an ambush. What if Littlefinger decides to use the Vale's armies to support her? Barring all that, what happens when Jon dies? Who's King in da Norff then? Is there anything at all stopping a major succession crisis from occurring with every single generation of monarch?

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm too tired to read all of that on my phone. But I ****ing love the passion that made you write so much.

4. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Don't you know? He's a maester- Grand Maester Even!

Or is he an archmaester? I'm not sure.

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Nice! As far as succesion in the North goes, I assume any kid of Jon's would get the throne when Jon dies. But no, nothing stopping a complete cluster every generation, or before.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Hell, Show Jon didn't even start a dynasty. He's still just "Snow," which is just a label indicating bastardy rather than a "real" name and it's not something that's passed on.

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Okay. Then I say he marries his aunt, and they rule the Kingdoms and beyond together, ushering in a thousand years of peace.

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    And then Arya reveals she's the waif, kills them, and rules in their place with their "faces". :p

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    BigAl6ft6, laurethiel1138 and IamZam like this.
  10. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I think he just LiveJournal less and finish books more.

11. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I'm afraid the age of GRRM publishing novels has drawn to a close.

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013

It's SLJ, so language, obviously

soitscometothis likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'd wager The Winds of Winter novel will hit when the final season ends. One book published at the start of the series, one published at the end. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

14. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    A moving tribute to R+L=J:

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Also confirmed that it will start in June or July 2017.

17. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Annoying I guess.

Just get it over with. 20 episode final season.

Really don't hold out much hope this will be a satisfying ending.

And I really don't want them to rush it because the repercussions of that would be terrible.

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm totally okay with it being a summer show, it'll be the biggest, buzziest summer show in, well, ever. Heck, it'll probably cut into blockbuster weekend take.

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

Surprising how small Ramsey is, how large Hodor is, and sitting next to Conan is The Waif.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  22. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yup...

[​IMG]

24. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Season 8 is the last.
    "
    At today's Television Critics Association press tour, HBO's new programming chief Casey Bloys officially confirmed that the eighth season of their hit fantasy drama Game Of Thrones would be the show's final bow. When asked about whether or not he planned on going along with showrunners' David Benioff & Dan Weiss desires to conclude the epic series after eight seasons, Bloys replied: “Yes, I think they have a very specific plan about the number of seasons they want to do, If I could get them to do more, I would take 10 seasons, but we want to take their lead with what they can do and what the best version of the show is.

As for any potential spin-off, it sounds like there is at least a small possibility that something could happen down the line as preliminary discussions to gauge interest have already taken place, but then again, it's still way too early to tell. “We’ve talked about it. It’s something I’m not opposed to, but of course it has to make sense creatively. I’m not sure that [Benioff and Weiss] could really wrap their heads around it when they’re just about to start production [on season 7]. It’s a pretty intense production, they’re about to start production soon. I’m open to it. The guys weren’t opposed to it, but there’s no concrete plans for it at this point.
    "
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fanta...rones-season-8-will-be-the-shows-last-a144055

SWpants likes this.
  25. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004