main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Game Of Thrones (uh i guess it's done now? Edit: No!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Apr 17, 2011.

1. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    1 more episode left of Season 3.

In regards to Season 2: disappointed we didn't get the House of the Undying with all the foreshadowing, and they cut the chain for the Battle of Blackwater. [​IMG]

Was disappointed they cut the Battle of the Fist of the First Men with the White Walkers. [​IMG]

Thought they'd have included Hoster Tully on his deathbed chatting with Catelyn.

It's amazing to me how many changes they're making to the Dany storyline.

I like how much more they're fleshing out the Tyrells.

Summer & Shaggydog action in Episode 9! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Season 4 most looking forward to the Martells.

Not much more thoughts on Season 3, TBH. Having read the books and knowing the outcome of the Red Wedding, it was great seeing all the foreshadowing ('if Robb loses') and mind tricking ('oh we're going to have a baby. We're going to attack Casterly Rock), and 'oh no Robb don't do that!!!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Been posting my thoughts on the Seasons as I wrap up each season, but wanted to post this: I am very happy (?) they put in the Grey Wind being sewn onto Robb Stark's corpse. I was afraid they were going to cut this! Of all the images I got while reading the books, that one probably stuck out to me the most. To me, it's not the sudden deaths of main characters that is surprising and make the series break fantasy tropes (it happens all the time in fantasy. Look at the Star Wars saga 1-8 [amplified even more by the Sequel Trilogy]). It's the cruelty after the fact that puts AGoT on a whole new level. It's not Ned Stark's death that makes it different from other fantasy - it's Joffery taking Sansa and showing her his head on a spike. It's not Robb's and Catelyn's death that breaks fantasy tropes - it's the horrific desecration of Robb's body. In the books they give Robb's crown to a whore and she wears it every time they do it. Etc. Etc.

(That being said, the sewing would have even had more an impact if Grey Wind had more then one or two scenes the whole series :) ) NEED MORE DIREWOLVES.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The wolves are, unfortunately, used remarkably infrequently in the series. Arya exhibits warglike tendencies in the books with Nymeria that are the same as Jon's, and Jon has several first-person scenes as Ghost, but these are barely referenced in the show. The direwolves in the show are used more like windowdressing than to serve any purpose, whereas I got the sense in the books the warg-scenes with the wolves were to A) provide an alternative view of what's going on, one the human characters can't see with their own eyes and B) allow Jon and Arya to learn more about themselves by becoming animals temporarily.

I think the show creators were probably confused about where GRRM was going with some of this, especially Nymeria's pack, so they sort of sidelined it.

4. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    What do you mean by window dressing? But yes, I could probably list most of the scenes all 5 direwolves appear in right now.

As of Season 3, Episode 10 Nymeria hasn’t even been mentioned since she was released in Season 1, Episode 2. I don’t remember Jon ever warging for some reason, but definitely Arya.

In addition to Ghost and Nymeria, Lady was to show Sansa on her own. And obviously Bran too wargs with Summer. Shaggydog protects Rickon. Never understood Grey Winds point other then fight in Robb’s battles

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Big budget spinoffs

I guess they are going to get more than 50 million a season. And there's this:
    Orsi also promised that the final season of GoT will not disappoint. A table read of the last few episodes with the show's cast, she said, "was a really powerful moment in our lives and our careers. None of the cast had received the scripts prior, and one by one they started to fall down to their deaths. By the end, the last few words on the final script, the tears just started falling down. Then there was applause that lasted 15 minutes."

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    15 minutes of applause at a table read that had like, what maybe 2 dozen people there? That must have gotten awkward around minute seven.

Also thanks for the "everyone dies" spoiler, HBO person :/ But, yeah, there's probably going to be a lot of people dying this season, endings and all that.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  7. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Just finished Season 4!
    This season’s a roller-coaster with lots of twists and deaths. I feel like – as in the books – the pacing needed to slow down a bit and catch its breath. Not complaining, just a lot of stuff happening that’d have had more an impact if it built up to they were more separated.

We have Joffery’s death, Littlefinger being revealed as the mastermind of the War and Lysa’s death, Yigrette, The Hound, Tywin, Shae. I feel like moving some of these events over to AFFC and ADWD really would’ve improved them. I think one reason the pacing is so fast, is originally there was supposed to be a timegap of a few years between ASOS and AFFC, hence a lot of things happening before then.

Very happy about the mammoths! Was disappointed we didn’t get them in Season 3!

I don’t have much more to say. I enjoyed the events at King’s Landing, the Vale, and Arya and Clegane the most this season.

Lot of changes from the books!

Where is the Kingsmoot? I hope if that’s cut, they don’t cut out Sand Snake chapters in Dorne as well.

Going to take a little break before starting Season 5. Some other things I'd like to catch up on, and am going on vacation in a couple weeks. Seems like this is a good place to stop for a few weeks as most of the plot lines are wrapped up or are shifting to Essos.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    VadersLaMent likes this.
  8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    @wmu'14 I like to recommend people hit youtube for "reactions at Burlington Bar".

wmu'14 likes this.
  9. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Balon’s death, and the resulting Kingsmoot, were moved to a later season. In the book, it all happens before Robb’s death, but for pacing purposes, it wouldn’t have fit in season 3/4.

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The biggest changes to the books happen in 5 & 6 (while also going beyond them).
    The Kingsmoot still happens, but not until MUCH later.
    The Sand Snakes are still around, but they and the entire Dorne subplot are extremely different.

wmu'14 likes this.
  11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What do you think of the Tyrell family? Feel free to do impressions by individual member.

wmu'14 likes this.
  12. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Margaery - Sex person

Jedi Merkurian and Diggy like this.
  13. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Interesting opinion considering her virginity is highly believed

Since none of the Tyrell's have a viewpoint chapter in the books, in the books much of their actions either come from a witness reporting to the viewpoint character, or through the viewpoint character's eyes. So I think one of the areas where the series is an improvement over the books is seeing the Tyrell's actions directly. For example, I remember thinking through a good chunk of AFFC that Cersei could have been behind Joffery's death.
    Not surprising. The first book was adapted fairly closely, but as the series has progressed, seems to be deviating more and more.
    Spoiler Alert! :p

14. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003

Er what?

Have you read the books/seen the show?

Diggy likes this.
  15. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    He clearly has.

Unlike you.

LloydChristmas and wmu'14 like this.
  16. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    The suggested threesome with Renly and Lloras does not come from someone with no Sexual experience.

Her unabashed paedophilic assault of Tommen does not come from someone who has a healthy sexual appetite (taking today's more educated norms into consideration)

That ignores her stumble when discussing sexual experience with the truly chaste (until raped) Sansa where she halted when discussing men's wonts in a way that implied experience to a level that may as yet not want to be shared.

There are other less egregious examples but those are the key kickers.

Margaery's manly wants are only surpassed by Cersei and that's only because Cersei did the deed with her brother whereas Margaery never managed too. Had she managed she would have one upped Cersei by virtue of it being a threesome, not only a threesome with her brother but a threesome with gay men one of which was her brother.

In the 21st century Websites of a certain nature would be devoted to her (I would guess some still are)

17. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Not remembering this TBH. Is this from the show?
    I took these scenes from the show as someone who knows how to use man's desire to gain what she wants. She's after the power and control to be gained from having it with powerful men. And I think she's too cunning to sleep with just anybody.

At the very least: I think it's up in the air and we the viewers/readers are to be just as unsure as the characters are.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You don’t think she had sex with Tommen?

19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Read this and weep, Wocky.

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
  21. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Day 1970 with BigAl6ft6

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Gaaaakkkkk!! Here's hoping the battle itself is literally an hour of screentime. Whatever it is that is happening.

24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Ms Dormer in a new movie.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002