main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Game Of Thrones (uh i guess it's done now? Edit: No!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Apr 17, 2011.

1. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    lol I had just posted this in the Amp thread before I saw your post in here....

"I wished that we could ev seen more of the pups in epi 1, having the kids giving them their names and bonding and what not."

2. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    how prominent are they in the books?

Are they in the books?

I wonder if they're just going to drop it and we never really see them again. lol.

3. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    They are quite significant, but it might take a while before their purpose beyond cuteness becomes plain.

4. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    cool.

[says the person who probably won't be watching anymore since no mas HBO]

I guess I'll probably be able to find it online.

5. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    smh @ this piracy

Your usually so puritanical

6. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    you wanna buy me HBO?

7. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Watching this online isn't piracy, anymore than watching episodes of other shows on Hulu is piracy. I don't have cable TV at all, so if I want to watch a particular show, I find it online.

8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Thank you!

9. Piltdown

Piltdown Jedi Master star 5

May 3, 2002
    Watched it online, thanks to timmo. I could spend $16.99 for HBO, but then when my friends come over they would see that I have HBO and I would henceforth have no friends.

It was OK, I guess. Too much selectively sensual nudity. Seems unnatural - I guess it is HBO, after all. Granted, the books are full of sex, nudity, and violence but these sections read smoothly and don't interrupt the flow. In fact, they generally add to theme or character. A couple of the lingering shots on the TV show felt awkward.

I certainly think it is well cast, though, and will be following it until it finds some way to hurt my fanboy feelings.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So a bootleg video isn't piracy because you can buy other videos at a store?

11. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Way to totally miss the point.

I don't have cable, and certainly don't have HBO. I am not paying a cent for those services. But thanks to the Internet, I am able to watch those shows online for free, and the only bill I have is my Internet bill. Advantage = me.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, I understood that you were cheap. It's still piracy. Post the link here again, and you'll be banned. Now that's enough from you.

13. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    You can PM me on that.;)

I finally saw it and I was quite pleased. It wasn't long enough though. I want more. I'm so tempted to read the books.

14. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    YOu should!!!!!

15. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Yeah I figured I should. Though I wonder if watching the series would ruin my experience after I read the books. This usually happens. HBO normally does well with adaptions though. It's not like it's ABC or Fox who wouldn't of done anything decent with it anyway.

16. Piltdown

May 3, 2002
    Just read the books. If anything, you get more out of the series... so long as you're not super-critical. There is way too much back story and POV information to get across in a few hundred minutes of TV.

17. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    "But officer, I don't own a Jaguar! I'm not going to buy a Jaguar. So how else was I supposed to drive one except by stealing one???" :rolleyes: HBO is able to produce extremely expensive shows because they charge their customers. And shows still need ratings on HBO, and CAN get canceled, particularly the expensive period ones (Rome, Deadwood). GoT is fine now but there's nothing to guarantee it gets past season 2 if people just pirate it.

On the subject of the show... well I have absolutely no familiarity with the books, but I didn't have trouble following the pilot. As people have said, it's fine to leave details fuzzy and let them come out naturally. I don't know all the characters' names yet, no, but in terms of backstory it was pretty easy to fill in the blanks. So that didn't bother me.

I thought it was fantastic, though. Not surprising. I am excited for the drama to continue to build and whatnot. I can foresee a whole war starting because the twins killed that guy and everyone thinks it was someone else. The trouble is that it's going to be damned annoying waiting a week between episodes :p

Oh, and I know it's annoying to HTR but please think of how much you wouldn't want to be spoiled if you'd never read the books.

18. Piltdown

May 3, 2002
    Try waiting 5 years between books.

19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Right up until your ISP cuts your service for piracy, which several of them have started doing with quite a bit more regularity.

Not that I don't partake in the occasional "alternative route acquisition" myself, but acting smug about it is ****ing stupid.

20. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Rachel, splendid! I'm so glad you're watching the show! Can't wait to see your reactions as the show goes on. :D

21. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    I too am delighted, simply delighted that you, Rachel (may I call you Rachel?), are taking part in the Journey that is "George Raymond Richard Martin's Game of Thrones: The Series" with us!! It is my fervent hope that we will continue to view this momentous television event together in the coming weeks, learning and growing together. Let us greet this program earnestly, full of promise, like two redwood saplings, or a pair of newborn piglets suckling the same teat of fantastical fantasy goodness. :cool:=P~ [face_love] [face_laugh] =D= [face_devil] :p O:) :D [face_praying][face_batting] [face_thinking] [face_blush] [face_mischief] [face_skull] [face_cowboy]

Bacon164 likes this.
  22. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    Probably not going to watch the HBO show any time soon, but this thread did prompt me to check up on Martin's website. A Dance With Dragons is coming out in July? Holy ... finally ! I'll have to start re-reading the entire bloody series again, since it's been so long (last time I re-read it, was when Feast for Crows came out, that's like 5-6 years ago).

23. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    I'm not. :mad:

24. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Finally saw the first episode. Even better than I expected.

25. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Just watched the first as well. Brilliant! makes me want to read the books again.