main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Game Players Network reviews SWTCG

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Bacabachaui, Mar 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
  2. Ocelot_X

Ocelot_X Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2001
    The article on GPN mentions something about how if you deploy a large force to one arena, your opponent will ignore it and overwhelm you in the other two. Now I'll admit that they've played the game and I haven't, but I just don't see how that makes any sense. It would make perfect sense in a game like YJ where you have three arenas, but any card can play in any arena. You could give up putting any of your characters in one arena and play all of them in the other two. But in SWTCG, the starships you don't play won't overpower your opponent on the ground. I haven't read anything in the rules about taking damage or some other detrimental effect from losing the battles like in SWCCG or YJ, so why wouldn't I play my single X-wing against my opponents 5 Star Destroyers? Sure, it'll get killed, but it might do something first. More than it could do sitting in my hand anyway.

3. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    The main reason is the limited build points. You would be better off building your units in arenas you have a chance of controlling because to deploy an Xwing where you know it will get slaughtered would be a waste. There is little advantage. It is easier to have that one X-wing retreat until you get more out there. You just have to be careful not to be too weak in the other 2 arenas because if you lose one more arena, then you lost the game.
    On the other hand, you may not be able to build units in the other arenas if you don't have cards for the other two arenas. So in order to avoid wasting your build points that do not carry over from turn to turn, you may just build or partially build your units for the arena you previously conceded, and keep them outside the arena, and later swarm in and take over.
    Either way, your opponent has no idea what your building and you can make him sweat. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.