main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Game Suggestions Thread - looking for new ideas

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by NYCitygurl, Feb 16, 2007.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Games suggestions, you say? Why yes, we want those as well. Just like the Polls or Tournament threads, this thread is here for anybody to offer up suggestions for new games to entertain this forum.

Your lovely C&G mods, NYCitygurl and The_Loyal_Imperial, have come up with an idea to start a "gaming" thread. This thread will become the place for all sorts of games to be showcased. The general idea behind it is to have short, simple, quick games which award the brave people playing a brief stint in colours. Yes, colours, people--but no gamebans! Think JCC Tag or Roulette for anybody familiar with them. We won't, however, be featuring these games in here. We want something new, which is what this thread is for.

Suggest anything you like. We're looking for simplistic but fun games to host. Sometimes silly things work. We'd rather hear about it and reject it than not hear about at all. Any game ideas that are put forth will be evaluated and probably discussed discussed. If we think it can work, it will be next in line for the gaming thread. For reliability and smoothness reasons, one of the Census & Games mods will always host the games found in that thread.

This thread can also be used to suggest larger games. Any game that may be trialled in the gaming thread has the possibility to expand and become its very own game in this forum. Either way, if you'd like other people's opinion on a game idea, this is the thread for you.

Activated: The Census & Games Gaming Thread v3

2. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    A suggestion from JEDI_TEEGIRLOO came through a few days ago for a game that I think ideally fits in with the upcoming gaming thread. I've made a few alterations to cut the length down, but otherwise I think it looks okay to use. But feel free to discuss or make comments about it or improvements.

So here is Tee's Battle Royale:

The Battle Royale Game

The war between Star War factions have lasted thousands of years. Each side trying to eliminate the other. Now the war has taken place in the form of a game. We call it Battle Royale.

This is a game inspired by the television game show Deal or No Deal.

The objective is to try to eliminate all the players you think are of the opposite side of you by picking a number they hold. The catch is that you do not know who is on your side and who is not. There are 36 numbers on the board to choose from. It is a game of chance to find out who will win.

Game Procedures:

1. Twelve players are allowed to sign up. Once the sign ups are over the host will notify all players what affiliation they are through PM. Players will be chosen to represent factions such as Jedi, Sith, Rebels or Empire. (Three people per faction.) Each player shall not know the affiliation of any other player. In the PM, the host will also give each player a number from 1 to 36.

2. These numbers will be called Holocrons named after the crystal objects that Jedi and Sith use to access certain types of data. Behind each holocron is a name. Twelve of the holocrons will be the players name and affiliation while the rest will be Star Wars characters, creatures or planets.

3. After a randomized order has been drawn up, each player will then go down in order and choose a holocron. The players' objective is to choose a holocron that they think has a player who is on the opposite side. Basically, if you are a Jedi, you want to pick a holocron that might have a player who is a Sith, Empire or Rebel underneath it. You don't want it to be someone from your own faction. Once all but one faction is eliminated, the remaining player or players are declared the winner.

Example:

Holocrons = //\\

//1\\ //2\\ //3\\ //4\\ //5\\

Player A who is secretly a Sith picks holocron 5. The host will then reveal what name is under holocron 5.

If that name reveals only a Star Wars reference then Player A survives another round and it is the next players turn.

If the holocron reveals a player who is a Jedi, then Player A, who is a Sith, eliminates the Jedi player and moves on to the next round.

If the holocron reveals a player who is also a Sith, then Player A is eliminated; however the person of the same faction who was under the holocron survives.

4. The game continues until all factions bar one have been eliminated.

5. Each player will have 12 hours to respond when it is his or her turn. If someone misses a round, they will be bumped to the bottom of the list. You can only be bumped down twice. The third time is an automatic elimination.

6. There are 2 - 4 factions that can be played at a time. Usually it will be 4.

Prizes: The winner or winners will receive VIPship with colours for a day. They will also have a special title.

Rules:

1. Only 12 players will be allowed to sign up. Once the game starts no one may sign up until the current game has ended and colours are taken away from the current winners.

2. No gamebans are handed out.

3. You are only allowed to play with one user name per game. If it is found out that someone is playing as two different names they will be banned from all future games of Battle Royale.

4. No one is allowed to tell another player what faction they are in. No one is allowed to plot with another player for an advantage. This will take away from the chance aspect of the game, so please do not PM or reveal to each other your factions.

5. Player

3. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Edit -- Sorry posted in the wrong place. :)

4. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    We'll be starting the gaming thread soon with the game above, but we'd still like more ideas :)

5. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Yes: soon. [face_blush]

My fault, really. However, with things relatively normal here again, I am looking to actually start this - this being the gaming thread - off next week or sooner. So please, if anybody has anything to add, go for it. This thread is for any game suggestion, remember. Simple comments or ideas can be made - you don't need an entire layout to begin with.

Saying nothing won't stop me from starting the gaming, though. :p

6. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    With the gaming thread soon to start, I dreamt up another game we could have some fun with. As with all games in the gaming thread, no gamebans are involved.

[blockquote]
    [image=http://members.iinet.net.au/~garratts/tyi/SNAP.jpg]

SNAP

Who doesn't like snap? :p

The premise of this game is simple. You want "cards" to match-up... or you don't. What you do want, is for the number of cards that match-up to be the same as the number that you predicted.

[b]This game is done in approximately 48 hours.[/b]

When I announce that SNAP has begun, [i]anyone[/i] may PM me a list of five cards. Those cards being: a King, a Queen and three Jacks. These are the only cards you may play with. And you must play with that [i]exact[/i] set of cards. If I was playing the game, here's how the PM would look:

[blockquote][u]SNAP[/u]

Man, I am so going to win this!

1. Jack
    2. Queen
    3. Jack
    4. Jack
    5. King

P.S. Do you accept bribes?

Cheers. [/blockquote]

[b]Lists [i]must[/i] be sent in this format of 1 through to 5.[/b] The only thing you need to do is inform me which number coincides with which card. Remember, there's three Jacks; one Queen; one King. You may give me any order.

After 24 hours has passed, entries are closed. Zipped shut. I will then announce, in this thread, how many people are playing the current game. See, the beauty is, [b]there are no sign-ups involved in this game.[/b] There are no contracts. I cannot sue you. But I can take you to court.

To join, all you have to do is PM me your list.

After I announce the number of players, there will be another 24 hour period during which all players who PMed me their list may PM me once again with their prediction. Your prediction is a prediction of how many different rows of three will be laid out. You'll know what I mean in a moment.

After this period is over, I will then combine everyone's PM and post the results. Here is an example of the results list:

[blockquote]
    <tt>
    [i]1.[/i] J J K J Q K [color=red]<strike>J J J J</strike>[/color]
    [i]2.[/i] Q J J Q J Q J [color=hotpink]<strike>Q Q Q</strike>[/color]
    [i]3.[/i] J J Q [color=red]<strike>J J J</strike>[/color] K J K K
    [i]4.[/i] J K [color=red]<strike>J J J J J</strike>[/color] K J J
    [i]5.[/i] K Q J K K J Q [color=red]<strike>J J J</strike>[/color]
    </tt>
    [/blockquote]

The aim of this game is to score hat-tricks. Three in a [u]row[/u] - of the same card (okay, I admit... it's really just a 'letter' when it looks like this...). Please note, hat-tricks are only in a row; they cannot count vertically. [b]The winner of this very easy game is the person who predicts the correct number of hat-tricks.[/b]

If we have more than one correct prediction, why then, we have multiple winners, don't we. . . .

If you do not PM me a prediction, your cards will still be played, however you have no chance of winning the game. So really, you don't want to do that... but it has no effect on anybody else.

In the example above, 8 hat-tricks were scored. When you see four matching in a row, just think of it as two points. The first three are one hat-trick, and then the second, third and fourth are the second hat-trick. For 5 in a row, there would be 3 hat-tricks. And so on.

There is no difference between a hat-trick that is made up of Jacks or one that is made up of Queens or Kings. All are equal to one hat-trick. Your prediction includes all combinations.

[i]Strategic points:[/i]

The order of the results list is simply the order in which I receive the game PMs.

If there is a larger number of players, there is, of course, a higher likelihood that more hat-tricks will be scored.

[color=firebrick]Or, I could give you the rules in four sentences:

Game starts. You have 24 hours to PM me a list of the order of your five cards. Once I announce the number of players in the game, you then have 24 hours to give me your prediction.

And then a winnar is you.[/color]

Oh yeah, I nearly forgot, the winner or winners get that little thing call

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Looks awesome :D

8. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Woohoo, I can't wait for tomorrow. Soon, other people, besides the two of us, will find this sticky thread! :p

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh]

Well, for anyone who isn't us, the gaming thread is up with signups for the first game. There's a huge red link in the header :p

10. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    First I have to say that I love the current game (Battle Royale). It's great. :D

During the game "Battle Royale" I got an idea to improve it or maybe for another version of the current game. It's just an idea, so I'm not sure if it's possible to insert it into the game.

Right now we are grouped into four groups, but we don't know who belongs to whom. Why not changing the game a bit, so our aim is to find out who's within our group before we get eliminated? Then we could even work together and against the other groups. But the problem could be to find out who belongs to one's group in time, since the "elimination process" continues of course.

That's my idea, but I don't know how to figure out who belongs to whom beside of asking directly, which wouldn't be that much fun of course. So it could work over tasks or getting hints for every good holocron-elimination.

Any thoughts? Ideas?

11. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Thanks Sabine. Teegirloo came up with the idea. :)

Thanks also for suggesting some new things! So, about your suggestion. In this number game, how would you work together to eliminate the other groups? That's my biggest question.

I'm just not sure what clues or hints could be given out. Did you have anything in mind?

(By the way - and this is just a general statement to everyone - the games rules laid out in this thread [i.e. the battle royale rules above] are never the final version; please see this post for the final rules.)

12. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Okay, my mind twitched over the weekend. I have another game. :p So... here is another beautiful no-sign-up game that is nice and simple (hopefully :p).

It is similar to SNAP, but has a distinct difference.

[blockquote]
    [b]MASTERMIND[/b]

[image=http://members.iinet.net.au/~garratts/tyi/mastermindmarbles.jpg]

Can you master your mind?

Before the game begins, I will array a row of [b]eight[/b] marbles. There are five different coloured marbles which will be used (orange, green, blue, yellow & hotpink) - however, I don't have to use them all. The colour choice is random. Here is an example of the marbles:

[blockquote]______________
    [b][hl=gainsboro][color=orange]O[/color] [color=forestgreen]O[/color] [color=blue]O[/color] [color=yellow]O[/color] [color=hotpink]O[/color] [color=orange]O[/color] [color=blue]O[/color] [color=forestgreen]O[/color][/hl][/b]
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯[/blockquote]
    In this example I used every colour. But this will not always be the case. For instance, I [i]could[/i] use eight orange marbles if I wanted to.

[ol][li]When I announce that I have my marbles ready and the game has begun, [i]everybody has 48 hours to PM me with [u]their own[/u] row of eight marbles.[/i] There are no sign ups - a PM with your marbles is how you join the game.

[b]The aim of this game is to PM me the exact order and colour of marbles which I have.[/b][/li]

[li]When the 48 hours are up, I will post everybody's array of marbles. For each row, I will indicate after the row how many marbles that person has put in the right spot. [i]I will only mention those which are exactly right.[/i] Unlike the actual board game of Mastermind, I will [i][u][b]not[/b][/u][/i] indicate which marbles are the correct colour but in the wrong position.[/li]

[li]If you get it right in the first round, it would simply be a fluke. But a winning one, nonetheless. All rounds after the first, however, you may have the possibility to work out the solution.[/li]

[li]After I post everybody's marbles and how many marbles are right - and if nobody is the winner - another 48 hours is open for all players to submit another array of marbles. You can then, obviously, use the clues which you have learnt from the previous round to try and decipher what colour and order of marbles I have. [i]Note: To play the second round (and all subsequent rounds) you must have submitted marbles in the first round and every round since.[/i] [/li]

[li]Once again, after this 48 hours, I will post everybody's marbles. If there is still no winner, another 48 hours is open and it continues in this fashion until we have a winner.[/li]

[li]It is entirely possible, and highly likely, that we will often have more than one winner. There's nothing wrong with that.[/li][/ol]

No gamebans are given out, of course. 24 hours of colours are awarded to any winners.
    [/blockquote]
    [hr]

Anyone is welcome to comment. Do you reckon it will work?

13. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Sadly I don't know how to do it. It was just an idea that popped up and I hoped that maybe another one has another idea how to include it to work it out together.

Edit: My suggestion was about #2 which changed already. ;)
    (Oh, Tyi, don't resist to laugh now. :p)

Edit2: grammar [face_blush]

14. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    I saw that, too. [face_devil]

15. Faithers

Faithers Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2006
    The Mastermind game idea is brilliant! :D

However, any conspiration done by at least 4 people, and everyone will get colors in the second round. (e.g.: 4 people pick a distinct color each, and each of them submits a row consisting only marbles of their color).

:)

16. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Good point mate. Perhaps rows of only one colour should be disallowed?

Edit: And by that I mean any row with 4+ of the same colour. Otherwise you could just do 7 and 1. :p

17. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    But then you're not allowed to have the secret row just in orange as well, right? Or are we allowed to figure that out after a certain amount of rounds? :confused:

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Either that or just say that you're not allowed to work together, and in something like that where it's obvious that they did, they'll be automatically out and their guesses won't even show up.

Sabine, that's a cool idea for the Battle Royale, but I'm not sure exactly how it would work. You'd be taking a VERY big chance if you approached someone, because 75% of the players are on other teams.

I also think it might be cool to slowly start expanding the Battle Royale game; add more players and more numbers to choose from.

19. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    I don't really want to do that. Not enough concrete rules in a sense, and you could easily step on toes. Without it, it also leaves it more open, in a way.

I'm thinking that perhaps the best way for it would be that I am not allowed to use more than 4 of the same coloured marbles as well. Like Sabine's first question. That way, if players are also limited to that, each guess still has the possibility to win.

Sound good?

Definitely. It's a game that can undergo many variations or revisions. I'm almost of the opinion of adding 6 more players and removing the factions. A free-for-all with a 50% chance of hitting someone every turn. :p

But yeah, anything can be done; just suggest it! ;)

20. Faithers

Nov 24, 2006
    I've got some interesting ideas regarding the uber-fun Battle Royale. :D

Say, what do you think if we put some bonus holocrons to the game? (e.g.: double pick at the next round, immunity for 1 round, etc) Those will increase the gambling excitement of the game. :D

:)

21. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Ah, interesting. [face_thinking] :D

Lay 'em down!

22. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Maybe later we get an idea to insert the "finding out who belongs to whom"-idea later, maybe changing the idea a bit again...

...but wait, I just got an idea. But first I have to say, that I really really love the idea of Faithers. :D
    But then I would increase the number of fake players as well, so it won't happen that either we kill one or get killed by ourselves or hit a bonus holocron and only rarely hitting a fake player.

In addtion to this idea, maybe we can put under a few holocrons the hint of who belongs to one's faction?

I'm almost of the opinion of adding 6 more players and removing the factions.

I wouldn't delete the factions. It's more fun if you can kill yourself as well. :)

And do you really think we would hit a none-fake player every second time? :p

I also agree with Zane about the "working together" issue at the marble game. Plus I think, it's a game and putting too many restriction because of the possibility someone could play wrong, is not good. It's a game and we should trust each other. If this case happens, then it's enough time to work this out. :)

23. Faithers

Nov 24, 2006
    Or we could still delete the factions, and spread some all-can-hit suicidal holocrons. :p

24. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    So we can't be afraid that a certain number could be picked anymore, since we don't know about which numer we should be afraid? :( :p

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I like all of the variations for Battle Royale. That's going to be really fun to change and mess around with; maybe choose one of the options for the next round of it and keep switching.