main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Game Suggestions Thread - looking for new ideas

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by NYCitygurl, Feb 16, 2007.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Okay, the thing is, we're worried that in its present form, it's too much like Pass the Paragraph (even though there are differences) to be a full-blown game. If you have any suggestions on modifications to make it more unique, feel free to share!

2. violent-poetry

violent-poetry Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2010
    ha haha thanks, sometimes i do have a giggle at the name it invokes images of that scene in hitchhikers' guide when the vogon poetry is being recited. and yes that is about right, i shall go back to the thinking corner....

3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I just thought of another game we could play here: Dice 10000.

I would be willing to host if such a game were to be started.

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Violent Poetry's game suggestion sounds fun!!

I thought of something that would be fun to play.

Four to eight players sign up and the host divides them into 2-4 teamed pairs. The host posts a question and each has to guess what the other person will answer -- if they match in round 1, they get 10 points; in round 2: 20; then there's a "double or nothing" round. If they don't guess correctly, they can get half points, i.e. 5 points for the first round. The host will receive the PM guesses from all players within 48 hours and post the results in the thread. Rather like the Newlywed Game [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I also think a game similar to a Match Game, where contestants send in a fill in the blank to a posted sentence and two guessers have to pick the same thing. [face_thinking] :D

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Ooo, both of those sound pretty interesting. We'll discuss them :)

6. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    Are you still looking for a Risk host?

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yes. Are you interested and have you played before?

8. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    I have played an online version, it would be good to see it here

9. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    The old thread's around here somewhere. You probably should take a look at it, Daft; it'll give you some good ideas. :)

10. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    Will do... [face_peace]

11. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    RISK was definitely fun to play, even though I was doing badly in the current round when it abruptly ended . . . :p

12. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    Yes that is generally it...

Does it have to be exactly the same as before though, or could I make a few minor changes?

(Nothing Drastic)

13. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    It's up to the Host to make the changes they deem necessary, I guess.

14. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    Just sorting it out with Nat now

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi: :)

I have been approved by the gaming mods to present a game involving knowledge and teamwork.

The rules:

1. Six to eight players will sign up and be divided like so:

1 with 4

2 with 5

3 with 6

OR:

1 with 3

2 with 4

5 with 7

6 with 8.

2. Five questions will be posted in the thread based on a given category. Each person in the team will have 48 hours to PM the host with what they think the other person will guess. The 48 hours will begin from the time the questions are posted. The host will PM the participants that the game has started for the initial round only.

3. Correct responses will receive a point and incorrect will receive zero points. Each person in the team can receive a point and if they each get it correct, the team points will be 2.

4. All scores will be posted at the end of the 48-hour time limit.

5. If one or both members don't respond in the timeframe, they will be skipped but only be allowed two misses.

6. There will be four rounds. The winning person/team will get colors for 24 hours.

Variants: Opening it up to veteran hosts and gamers :D -- If you believe that having five statements with a fill in the blank to be guessed would work better than a question, feel free to post that suggestion here.

Also: Any ideas for a catchy title ;) [face_batting] :D

Thanks, jade eyes

16. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    Sounds a bit like Blankety Blank - a British TV Game show, using the fill in the blank

17. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    There's something I'm not quite getting. If you are guessing what you think your teammate is sending in only, I can't understand how many points would be scored. I can see each person having to send in two answers: what they think is correct, and their guess to what the other is thinking.

18. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    There usually is no right answer

19. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I figured that since it's a "fill in the blank game", there wouldn't be a concrete answer. However, if there is no definite answer that the player gives to the Host in PM form to check with their teammates guess, how are points scored?

20. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    If the answers match they would get a point, if not they don't

21. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    I'm not completely clear on the team set up. Like two teams of four? Aside from that, sounds interesting. Mind Reader or something.

22. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I'm understanding a bit more, but still somewhat confused.

I think an example of the gameplay is in order, if that's possible.

23. wedge41388

wedge41388 Jedi Padawan star 3

Apr 15, 2010
    Hey guys, I just thought of another game we could try to play on the forums. It is an adaptation of a game me and my friends play when we start getting tired after a long day of fun. Basically this is how it goes:

Someone thinks of a movie title (we'll call him the judge), then they tell everyone the acronym of the word (ex. S W A N H- star wars a new hope). Everyone starts trying to guess the movie. If they cant think of it, then the judge tells everyone the year the movie was made (if we don't know we give them best guess). After that if no one knows then they tell them the genre of the movie. If they are still stumped they give them some sort of hint, either a quote, or character name, actor, director etc. Usually whoever guesses correctly becomes the next judge...unless they can't think of a movie and someone else has a good one...
    It's a fun game that passes the time pretty good.

Here is my basic outline of how we could play it on the forums:
    Several people can play at once. The game is broken up like this : A MATCH describes a single movie title and everyones attempt to guess it. Each match consists of 4 rounds of guessing (although it may not take all 4 rounds if someone is able to guess the movie early) Each Round consists of a turn for each player which lasts 24hours. if no guess then they are skipped.
    The game mod thinks of a movie and announces the acronym on the forum, and then announces who gets first guess (usually it will be in order, with the first person changing each match. ex first match the order is P1, P2, P3, P4, P5, second match its P2, P3, P4, P5, P1, third match P3, P4, P5, P1, P2 etc.)
    After a round of guessing if no one is able to guess the movie, then the game mod gives the movie year. After another round if no one guesses then the game mod gives the genre. And finally if no one guesses then there is a final clue.
    Scoring works like this 4 points for first round guess, 3 for 2nd round, 2 for third round and 1 point for 4th round guess. If no one can guess the movie, then they get laughed at by the mod i guess and no points for anyone.
    The game keeps going until someone reaches 20 pts. (i just put that top score there...it could really be anything but i just chose that for the heck of it)

Im not really sure what to call this game, we just call it the movie game, but i guess it could be adapted to books, TV shows, video games etc.

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'd say for the picking teams, just keep it random (so people can't purposely fill in the numbers they want to get a specific teammate (plus, it's easier to just say "Players will be split into teams of two" and leave it at that). I'd also add to #2 that players should send in their own answers as well as what they think the other person will say.

And do people win on an individual basis or as a team? Or, should there be two prizez - 24 hours to one person for the highest individual score, plus 24 hours each to two players for highest team score?

25. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Dice 10000 proposal:

The goal of this game, as the name implies, is to get to 10000 points. You get points based on what dice you roll during your turn, but beware! You may get a bad roll and get no points for your turn.

The game will consist of 6 players, and each turn, each player rolls 6 dice. When your dice are rolled, you must set aside at least one die that has a scoring value; if you roll nothing, you get 0 for that turn. You don't have to set aside all scorable dice if you don't want to, but you must set aside at least one each turn. Each time you re-roll your remaining dice, you stand the chance of rolling nothing and forfeiting whatever points you may have already earned that turn. You can always choose to voluntarily end your turn and add whatever points you have earned for that turn to your accumulated total (unless you haven't reached a grand total of 1000 yet; see below).

Scoring works as follows:

A single 5: 50 points
    A single 1: 100 points
    Three of any number: 100 points times the number rolled (e.g. three 2s is 200 points). Exception: three 1s is worth 1000 points.
    Four of any number: 1000 points times the number rolled (e.g. four 3s is 3000 points).
    1-6 straight: 3000 points
    Three sets of doubles (e.g. 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4) : 1500 points

Each player starts out with 0 points, naturally, but here's the catch: in order to get "on the board" initially, you must score a total of at least 1000 points for your turn. If you end your turn with anything less than 1000, you get 0 for that turn! Once you have passed the 1000 point threshold, you can end your turn with as much or as few points as you want.

If you have managed to score points with all 6 dice, all 6 are rolled again and you can continue with your turn if you wish.

Just remember, you have to score points on every roll, or you get a big fat zero for your turn! So it is a strategic move to end your turn early in order to retain whatever points you may have already accumulated that turn.

Example of a turn:

Player one rolls a 4, 2, 1, 2, 6.

Only the 1 is a scoreable roll, so he sets that aside for 100 points. He then rolls the remaining 5 dice:

4, 4, 4, 3, 6.

Four 4s are worth 400, so he sets them aside next to the 1, making his score so far 500 points (100+400). He then rolls the remaining 2 dice (because he hasn't reached 1000 yet; if he has crossed 1000 by this point, he could, and probably should, end his turn now to add the 500 to his total score):

2, 4.

Neither of these rolls are worth anything, so he loses all of the points he has earned this turn. As you can see, you take a risk rolling the dice each turn, because you could wind up with nothing.

Let's look at another example:

Player 2 rolls: 5, 5, 5, 1, 4, 2. Three 5s and the 1 make a total of 600 points, so he sets them aside and rolls the other two dice:

1, 5.

Both dice are scoreable, for a total of 150, so he adds that to the 600 for a total of 750. Because he has scored points with all 6 of his dice, he must reroll all 6 and keep on counting:

1, 1, 5, 4, 6, 2.

He sets aside the 1 1 and 5, 250 points, and adds them to the 750 for a total of 1000. Since he has now reached the 1000 threshold, he can choose to end his turn now and "get on the board" with 1000 points. On any subsequent turns, he can choose to end his turn whenever he wants, even if the total for his turn is less than 1000.

The dice you set aside cannot be combined with the dice you roll later in your turn. If you roll three 5s on your first roll and set them aside, then roll another 5 on your next roll, that 5 is only worth 50 points.

So basically, the only way you can get the 1-6 straight or the three sets of doubles is to roll them all on your first roll of the turn.

Once all players have finished their turns, a new set of 6 dice will be rolled for each player, and we keep on going until someone hits 10000. As soon as a player has reached 10000, all remaining players get one additional turn to try and surpass the first player's grand total. Since the turns will b