main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Game Suggestions Thread - looking for new ideas

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by NYCitygurl, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    Hi Guys,

Hopefully going to be having Risk! as a game again soon, so just wanted to runt rhough the plan, see if it is OK with yiou guys, and if you had any opinions about it [face_peace]

So...

Risk!

The object of the game is to take control of the map. this is done by wiping out the other players forces. Each Force will start with a certainb amount of forces, each randomly distributed across the board.

Point 1: I am not sure how many planets you want in this game - if anyone has some suggestions, feel free

You will then select the forces on the map you wish to play, and which planet they have to take, note that a planet must still keep one unit on planet at all time (unless it is lost, and then you lose the planet)

The dice will be rolled to see how your forces do against the opposing force - one dice roll for each available unit.

If a higher number is collect by you, you take control of the planet, and they lose lose all their units in that planet.

The winner is the player who takes control of every planet.

The map is divided into sectors, with planets in each sector.

You will get one reinforcement at the end of each round for each planet you hold, plus a bonus for every sector you take:

Bonuses:

Everytime you win a Sector, you will get a bonus of one of the following cards:

* SPHA-T Attack - Will kill a random number of units on a border (randomly between 1-4)
    * Orbital Bombardment - Will kill a random number of units on any enemy planet (randomly between 1-8)
    * Mines - will place mines that will destroy a random number of invading units on a enemy planet (randomly between 1-4)
    * LAAT/i Deployment deploys an extra legion of troops in a round when defending against an attack

All Bonus Cards must be placed when received.

I think that's about it. :)

2. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    About planets, I guess that you could use the one from the previous game or make one slightly smaller than that (having too many planets could slow the game down). Otherwise, looks good. :)

3. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    How many planets were in the previous versions?

4. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I think at least 30. How many players would be able to sign up per game, and how many forces would they each have?

5. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    Well, with 30 planets...

5 Players

with initially 15 Units each

6. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    OK, so 6 planets per person. Would the intial choosing of planets be done like the last game, or something else?

7. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    That sounds reasonable:

Planet Distribution
    As soon as a player signs up, he or she PMs the Game Host (GH) a numbered list, with numbers ranging from 1-30, which shows how much the player wants each planet, 1 being the most desired. The GH will then compare each player's list and assign each planet based on who has it most highly rated. Each player shall receive five planets.

Army Distribution
    After a player learns which planets he or she has been assigned, he or she should then distribute 25 armies among the five planets. Players may either post their list or send it to the GH privately, depending on the player's level of paranoia. The only requirement is that each planet needs at least 1 army.

8. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    OK, looks like it'll be the same. :)

9. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    On a completely unrelated note, has Sorry! ever been brought up as a possible game idea?

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oooh, :cool:

I'd sign up if it starts.

:D

A fun game of strategy -- and the rules don't hurt my brain like UNO [face_laugh]

11. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Nope, Sorry's never been suggested. If you have a proposal, post it :)

12. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I'll post it tomorrow; I need some time to sketch it out.

13. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Sounds good :)

Does anyone ese have comments about Risk or about timmo's dice game?

14. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Well, nothing except for the urge to poke Dafty and ask him how Risk is coming along. :p

15. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    OK, here's my proposal for Sorry!

The regular rules for the game are here:

Each player chooses four pawns of one color and one player is selected to play first.

Each player in turn draws one card from the stack and follows its instructions. To begin the game, all of a player's four pawns are restricted to Start; only a 1 or 2 card can release them to the rest of the board. Playing a 1 or a 2 places a pawn on the space directly outside of start; playing a 2 does not entitle the pawn to a second space[citation needed]

Two pawns cannot occupy the same square. A pawn that lands on a square occupied by another "bumps" that pawn back to its own Start. Players can't bump their own pawns back to start. If the only way to complete a move would result in a player bumping themselves, the pawns remain in place and the player loses their turn.

If a pawn lands at the start of a slide (except those of its own color) by direct movement or as the result of a switch with the 11 card, it immediately moves to the last square of the slide. All pawns anywhere on the slide are sent back to their respective Starts.[citation needed]

The last five squares before home are the "safety zone". Access is limited to those pawns of the same color. Pawns inside the zone are immune to being replaced by an opponent's pawn with an 11 or a Sorry! card. However, a pawn is vulnerable to being forcibly moved backward out of the safety zone. Forced backward moves can cause a pawn to exit the zone, and a pawn can only enter home upon exact count: an 8 is unplayable when there are only 3 spaces remaining, for example.

Now, a game like this on the forums would take too long if played with four players taking simulataneous turns. Here is a list of what I would modify to fit the forums.

* 4 players play at a time. However, instead of having four pawns of each color, each player would be allocated 2.
    * Turns would be taken every day. The Host would post the cards for each of the players. If a card has a fixed number of spaces, the player must go that far. However, if there is an option on a card (for instance, when a Sorry! card is drawn), the player will have 24-48 hours to post their decision in the game thread on what they plan to do. This is especially essential for starting a pawn out on the track.
    * No team play (only four total players in any one game)

So that's a basic idea of the game that I think would fit in the forums. Of course, I'd like some input as well; is 2 pawns too few? Would 3 be better? And should the Host post a picture of the board every turn to demonstrate where pawns are placed? :)

16. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    I am just waiting for confirmation to start...

then I will have to find some dice...

:oops:

Will these do:

http://www.roll-dice-online.com/

17. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Looks good to me, Dafty.

18. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    Excellent...

19. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Now I know a decent spot to get dice for Yahtzee when I can't find my real ones. :p

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hmmmm.... 3 pawns sounds ideal.

:D

21. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    One final thing for Risk - does this map look OK:

[image=http://i35.tinypic.com/28mh7vk.jpg]

With Hyperspace routes added (and planets named)

22. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Looks good, Dafty. I think that map'll do just fine.

Anyone else have input for Sorry! ?

23. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    A picture of the Sorry board during play would be helpful. Two pawns sounds like enough.

24. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    OK, one vote for the picture of the board, which I think is a good idea. And one vote each for 2 and 3 pawns per player.

25. padawanlissa

padawanlissa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I agree that a picture of the board would be a good idea.