main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Game Suggestions Thread - looking for new ideas

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by NYCitygurl, Feb 16, 2007.

1. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Could it be done in paint or another computer program, also?

2. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    I would personally say no to that as a computer opens up too many unwanted possibilities. A simple pencil is the best tool to use!

It also makes it more real world, more social and less computerised.

But that's just my view. :D

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I think it sounds interesting. I like the "real world" idea you had, and I think a trial run is worth giving it a go. If people aren't comfortable doing that sort of thing, a trial run woud show us.

4. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    So anyway, since it was mentioned it ...

Pictionary (I Can Draw)

It?s time to pull out a pencil and paper and tear your eyes away from the computer monitor. We?re going to play this old school.

If you?re familiar with the board game of Pictionary ? or if you?ve played the online iSketch ? then this will be very familiar to you. The main difference is that we?re relaxed and have plenty of time!

You don?t need to know how to draw! That is half the fun! :)

Here?s a detailed rundown of the GAMEPLAY:

1. Sign-ups of 6 players begin.
    2. There are no teams ? every human for themselves!
    3. The game begins!
    4. The host selects the first person on the sign-ups as the Artist?. The host PMs the Artist a choice of five things to draw. These choices come from the Pictionary cards and each represent a different subject:
    i. Person/Place/Animal (or related characteristics)
    ii. Object (things that can be touched or seen)
    iii. Action (things that can be performed; events)
    iv. Difficult (challenging words)
    v. All Play (this can be any type of word)
    Note: All Play doesn?t mean anything special in this game.

5. The Artist selects the word they desire and then must sketch/draw this thing in real life.
    i. On this drawing they must include their username with their pen/pencil!
    ii. NO COMPUTER PROGRAMS can be used to draw it. It must be done in REAL LIFE.
    iii. The Artist cannot draw letters or numbers of any language. Arrows and circles are quite fine.
    iv. You may not use colours! Only a single pen or pencil can be used!

6. Following this they either scan the image or take a picture of it.
    7. The Artist replies to the host and PMs them what their selection was of the five.
    8. The Artist then uploads the image with their drawing and posts it in this thread. Nearly everybody has the ability to do this with a simple click of a button, so it shouldn?t be difficult.
    i. Possible image hosting sites include photobucket, imageshack, flickr, etc
    ii. File hosting services could be dropbox, skydrive, your ISP?s provided website, etc

9. The FILENAME of this image MUST NOT be the name of what they chose to draw. Please name it with gobbledegook or something as simple as your own name. We don?t want to tell people what it is!
    10. If, for whatever reason, this image is against the rules, the host can make the round void at this stage or ask the Artist to make a different selection. If the Artist ever wants to check before posting, they are most welcome to PM the host with a link to their image to have it approved.
    11. All other Players then publically post their guess of what this drawing is. Only one guess per person is allowed and it must be made clear what this guess is.
    12. The Artist is not allowed to respond to any guesses or give any clues whatsoever during this time period. Unlike in Pictionary where you are continually guessing, players only get one guess in this game ? so they have to make it count!
    13. Discussion, theories, random talk to try and throw people off is MOST WELCOME by the Players. Players (not the Artist) may respond to each other?s guesses as much as they like. Just be clear when you actually make your guess.
    14. Points are awarded after everybody guesses.
    15. After the turn, the gameplay goes back to Bullet Point 4 with the host select

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I love it - very unique. If people are willing to participate in a game that has the real-life component, I think it's definitely worth a go.

6. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Only problem from me is that I can't draw. :p

But, yes, it's definitely worth a shot.

7. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    You don't have to draw, all you have to do is communicate the idea. Saying "I can Draw in RL" is half a joke. :D

Just think: for foot, if you drew a stick figure (don't claim you can't do that, haha) and then put an arrow pointing at one of the feet ... you're done!

8. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Rules look good, though you can probably count me out. I can't even do a decent stick figure. :p

9. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I understand what you mean. Sometimes, I can't even draw a perfect straight line. 8-}

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Jade_eyes pointed out that asking in here would probably be better than individual PMing :p

I'm sure some of you remember that we used to have ImaginIff running, and it was an awesome game. We'd love to revive it, but unfortunately, we're having trouble finding the cards. Does anyone have the game who would be willing to type the cards up?

11. wedge41388

wedge41388 Jedi Padawan star 3

Apr 15, 2010
    ....i have cards but they are in a different state :_| ....and i wont be going home until end of semester:_| :_| ....if you cant find any and if i remember in a few months i could get mine

12. Mister_Master

Mister_Master Jedi Master star 6

Oct 17, 2007
    I like the idea for pictionary. I want to play it.:p

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    If we don't find any by then, I will DEFINITELY PM you! I haven't been ab;e to find any :(

MM - Pictionary is up and running :D The first game is up and running.

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    We've been cycling through games lately :) A lot of games we've had going for a while are taking a break, several games have come back, and we've got two new games, Pictionary and Word Whiz, in testing right now.

We're definitely looking for new games to try!! If you have an idea, write up a first post and submit it! We'd love to have more ideas floating around :)

15. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I'll get around to writing the OP for Sorry! after this term ends. :)

16. wedge41388

Apr 15, 2010
    ok here is a game that i played at a family resort a couple years back, i actually found the game cards at a store. The game is called "You be the Judge". Basically there are 2 teams, or juries, that are read a case and they must deliberate and decide what they think the outcome will be. (the case is usaually a few sentances long)....Here are the rules on how i think it will work on forums:

1: Players are broken up into two Juries, Each Jury will elect a forman who will deliver the verdict and break any ties
    2: The case is posted and both juries have 48 hours to deliberate and vote amoungst themselves. The forman then posts what their jury believes the verdict (for or against) is and also report how the voting broke down (ex 2 for, 4 against) If the jury is tied, then the forman also reports what his or her vote is, which is the deciding vote.
    3: After the juries report, the judge will read the verdict. The juries will get 2 bonus points if a majority guess the correct verdict, and a point for every correct vote they have, first team to a certain score win, (depends on how many players)

Ill post a demo round soon

17. wedge41388

Apr 15, 2010
    After signups are complete, teams will be assigned a jury and they have 24 hours to elect a forman and post who it is.

Round 1:

Case: "Crash Landing" : In England, at a major airport, a small plane was coming in for a landing when it became apparent that the plane was in the flight path of a much larger jumbo jet. The air traffic control tower radioed the small plane to abort landing and fly to the right or left to make way for the jet. The plane followed the instructions but was caught in the air turbulance from the jet and crashed. The pilot sued the airport for not warning him of the possible turbulance. Did the court rule FOR or AGAINST the pilot?

The teams have 48 hours to decide how they want to vote (Jurors should PM their forman). They can post on the topic their thoughts if they want to discuss, but the only vote that counts is what the forman reports. After 48 hours the forman should pm the Judge with the final vote for their team. (if the forman does not recieve all the votes from his team, he can assign remaining votes,)

Ex.
    Jury A is 4 for, 2 against
    Jury B is 3 for, 3 against, forman votes against

The judge then posts the actual verdict and lists the score

Verdict: The court ruled AGAINST the pilot and reasoned that in a busy environment like a control tower, economy of words is very important, so it is unreasonable to expect the tower to take the time to verbally warn the pilot.
    In this case, jury A recieved only 2 points for the 2 votes they had for the correct andswer.
    Jury B recieves 5 points because they had 3 correct votes and the majority voted correctly (due to the tie broken by forman)

Repeat until one teams reaches winning score (will depend on how many players)

18. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Curious: is this in any way based on actual law? As I see the potential for conflict if the players make their decisions according to actual legal precedent, and the game doesn't.

19. wedge41388

Apr 15, 2010
    according to the game box, it is based off of real life court cases from around the world

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Ooh, wedge's game idea sounds way past cool!! I love lawyeristic shows from Perry Mason to Matlock [face_laugh] and every incarnation of Law and Order ;)

:D

Will also be up for Sorry! when it starts. [face_dancing]

:D

21. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Glad to hear. :)

Now that the term is over, I have time to get the OP ready. I just have to figure out exactly how I'm going to run everything.

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi there Nat/Loyal:

I was wondering about Scattergories. I played several rounds of it both sci fi/SW themed and general stuff.

If you think the interest is there still, I'd love to host it & keep the rules the prior host(ess) had conceived.

I might tweak/add a rule to make it hopping LOL Your ideas/input is welcome!

[face_batting]

@};-

@};-

~Jade

23. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    What rule would that be?

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Perhaps this:

"In case of a tie at game's end, the player whose list came in first would be the winner." [face_thinking]

E.g. 2 players have 36 points after the three rounds.

Or perhaps adding a bonus point for alliterative answers so that "Simon Says" would now gain the player 3 points.

:D !!

Simon Says. This would gain the player 2 points.

25. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I'm not particularly fond of games where the winner is the player who answers first, given that we have members from many different time zones around here. As for the extra point, would it really make that much of a difference, with the lengthy combinations that frequently pop up?