main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Game Suggestions Thread - looking for new ideas

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by NYCitygurl, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    http://www.godchecker.com is hilarious in that regard, if you wanted to know. :p

2. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    That site cracks me up. :p

Evil.

3. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    It also cracks me up as well. lol

Aheh

*hasn't actually looked at the site, but wanted to fit in*

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Tyi ... any updates? Any chance to see a preliminary draft list?

5. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    That's what I'm trying to do. Update. Wiggins has been helpful. Hold on to your horses, we should have something soon. It's fascinating doing this, though. :D

6. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I just had a great idea for a game. Something like Battle Royale. I haven't quite worked it all out in my head, but I think I have most of it.

7. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Post it whenever you want. The entire thing or just the idea.

I'll post the draft list here as soon as it's alive, but it doesn't matter if you talk about other games in between and around it.

8. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Well, the idea is you get x amount of people to join, and then they have to kill each other with a random weapon they are given(From a fork to a grenade launcher). Then you have a map grid, and each turn people PM the host whhere they want to move on the map, and depending on who they run into on the grid, they'll face off against that person, and whoever has the better weapon would usually win, depending upon the terrain and other factors. You'd only be able to move a certain amount of squares each turn, and no one would be able to know where you are(of course, that means a lot of trust in the players not to PM eachother and so forth). The other factors would be how you align yourself in the square. For instance, I had the idea that you could have one of three stances(I really haven't worked it all out, so any ideas would be welcome for this) Dug in, laying low, and sprinting. There would be pros and cons for every stance. Like, if the rule was two squares per turn, but you were sprinting, you could move three squares, but your guard would be down, so someone who is laying low in the square you are sprinting in could kill you, even if you had a better weapon, because the person laying low would have their bearings etc. I thought that sprinting would maybe get you three squares to move, laying low would mean you only get one square, and dug in would mean that you don't want to move for that turn, but you would not be very easy to kill at all. Like the movie or book, there would be random forbidden zones and such to make sure people keep moving. Then you would select your temperment, or something, so when someone else did run into you, they would be told if you were friendly or guarded, etc. I dunno, just an idea I had while reading the book.

9. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    [face_thinking] Very, very interesting. Reminds me of a cross between battleships, chess, and TAO. Most of you wouldn't know what TAO is, though. :p

I like it.

First things first however, would you mind expanding on this:
    ;)

And to flesh it out...

How big a grid were you thinking?

How do you change weapons? Are they found on specific grid squares, and are such simply picked up and dropped off on each square? (If you had a fork and landed on a square with a grenade launcher, you would drop the fork on the square and pick up the boom-boom cylinder etc... and then the next person who crossed the square could pick up the fork?)

With the weapons, you could of course do a rock paper scissors arrangement with some of them. i.e. (ignoring stance for the moment) Bow & arrow kills grenade, grenade kills shield, shield kills bow & arrow.

Throwing in defensive options is a great idea, too (stances).

Also, every time a person moves to a new grid square, you'd need the host to update the game with what or who they find there, wouldn't you? (Kind of like Battle Royale in that sense for those familiar with it.) In this game, that may affect things and people going afterwards. Something to think about in the sideline. Perhaps we could even have multiple hosts....

Thanks for sharing the idea in raw form EF, that kind of thing is very welcome. If we can hammer some things out, we could get this to work. Also, if you have more things you were thinking of expanding on, anything is open. Anyone may chime in with things, of course.

:D

10. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I'm not sure what you want me to expand on at the top there. I was just saying that we could do something like they do in the novel/movie Battle Royale, which is where I got the idea. Or stole it. Whatever.

No, you don't change weapons. At the start of the game you are given a random weapon, and that's the weapon you have until you find another one(we could maybe have some on the grid scattered around. Or not), or you kill someone else and take their weapon. Now, obviously, that means some people will have an advantage, but that's part of the game(Maybe we won't give anything as useless as a fork like someone got in the book, but it will still be uneven. The Rock-Paper-Scissor thing is a good thing to look into, as well). Though I think I like the idea of just scattering them through the grid, too.

The stances are something else I haven't really pegged down. There could definitely be a defensive stance or something. What I had in mind was the sprint/alert/dug in, which only really affects movement, where the more movement you sacrifice, the more defense you would generally have. Someone with a lesser weapon would probably be better off laying low, while someone with a machine gun could use the sprint option each turn to cover more ground so they could run into more people, but that is up to the player, and whatever their strategy is.

I was thinking that all movement would be PMed to the host(or hosts; more would be better, I think, with this game), and it would be hidden, unless the terrain was right to see to other squares(like a mountain), or another person was in the same grid. For instance, if three people landed on C-3, only those three people would know that there were other people in that grid. The host would PM back to the three players that they've landed on a square with other players, and ask for their response(since alliances could be formed, they might want to be friendly, istead of hostile, etc). The host could then post the fight, and who had died, but no one would know where they had died. Unless you had a loud weapon, like a grenade launcher, then people in the sorrounding area would be informed that an explosion had taken place close to them, or machine gun fire. The closer players would be told which square specifically, but people farther away would only be told what region the exposion came from. An example host post would read something like this:

Players 3 and 5 have been killed with a machine gun, heard in the northwest side of the island, etc.

So, for the most part, movement would be hidden unless you cross the same square in your turn.

And, really, the size of the grid would depend upon how many players you get.

11. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    That's actually what I was after. I didn't know what movie and/or book you were referring to. I was just curious where it came from.

As far as weapons go, the imagery I had in mind was having weapons scattered across the game. I had Cluedo in my brain for some reason. There would of course still be the uneven part, because it just depends which weapon you find and pick up.

Those stances work. If you sprint somewhere and stay limber, you could move four squares on the next turn. If you are alert, only three. If dug in, one square. I don't know, I'm just thinking aloud. That could keep things simple but still judgement effective.

I agree with hosts. As mentioned above. I'm thinking two or perhaps three. Maybe try it with two, and if need be extend it in future games.

Gotcha about the movement. I forgot that of course it has to be hidden. Since the movement would then happen outside the thread, how about having updates or random occurrences appear in the thread as posted by a host to keep things active and alive? Such as:
    Player 4 has just acquired a fork. Watch those eyeballs.

A mine explosion has been heard to the east of the island. Player 2, while avoiding the explosion, has been caught in a ditch and will be unable to move for one turn.

A trap has sprung somewhere on the island. Player 1 is immobile for two turns.

Um.... Player 8 picked up a packet of grenades but accidentally armed one and an explosion was heard to the southwest of the island...

*thinking* ... Player 6 ran across a pack of ravenous wolfs and has been eaten alive (death square?).
    Were you thinking of including special squares like suicides, traps and the like? (In edition to having weapons if we did that, etc... that how it goes?)

Regarding the grid, I see what you mean. The map and grid size could easily be announced after sign ups close. Oddly shaped grids would be sweet as well.

12. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I am starting to like the scattered weapon idea better. That would also allow for random starting positions, instead of the same one, as in the book.

Death squares would be a little much, I think. That was kind of the idea of forbidden zones, but they would be announced. Maybe we could announce it, then after one turn, have a mod edit it out so that if someone maybe misses a turn, that would be a penalty(along with randomized movement) because they wouldn't know where the square was. However, I do think random trap squares would be neat.

The only thing I'm not sure about is this: What if two people met up without any weapons, and both had the same stance? I mean, I suppose we could judge on who we think would actually win based on a physical description, but then someone could just lie. Maybe we could sort of make it like a draft, and have them draft one kid from the books. Or maybe some other type of character. That's the only thing I was wondering how we would work out. Maybe we could give everyone a certain amount of stat points and categories to use, I dunno. I think it would be fun to be able to pick a character that you like, but that could get weird. It would just be hard to judge when two people meet up without weapons, so we would need to think about a solution for that.

13. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Announcing forbidden zones for a bit and then removing them sounds interesting. By one turn, do you mean a whole row of turns (all players?) or more along the lines of a 24 hour period? Also, forbidden zones never change, right?

Good point about the weaponless combatants. I would be hesitant to draft people from the BR book or something similar; I'd think that it would be better to keep it all to the people actually playing the game and running around on the grid. All about what weapons they have, what stance they're in, and so on.

You mention stat points... That has me thinking about Role-Playing ability scores. Strength; Dexterity; Constitution; Wisdom; Intelligence; Charisma. What do you think about giving people things like this to start off with? This may be running a little bit away from the base game you're thinking of, but because I'm not familiar with it, I'm just offering more interpretations to the table.

You could of course just limit it to STR, DEX and CON even. Have a set amount of numbers you can put into each at the beginning of the game. STR is a better fighter. DEX is better for stance. CON is better stamina. And maybe, from these numbers, if two players meet who don't have any weapons, they could simply argue (like drafts) why they - their character, their persona - would win over the other person based on their stat points and of course stance and positioning, etc.

You could also apply these stat points to normal fighting as well. i.e. STR 10 + fork beats someone with STR 2 + machete in a straight out fight, no stance. Maybe? That's just a random example, by no means attempting to make that the case if you were to try to apply these extras.

Or, of course, this is edging a bit too far away from a good Battle Island game. Tell me if I'm wandering.

14. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    No, that's exactly where I was headed in my thinking, I just didn't want it to get too complicated.

Basically I thought a turn would be everyone sending in their move for however many squares we allow for a turn(say four or whatever). You have however many hours to get your movement in before the next turn. The hosts take all of the movements, and find out if anyone has run into anyone else, or if they've landed on a trap, etc. PM's the players back their current terrain, or if they've run into anyone, and what weapon that person is holding(for people with more than one weapon they would need to PM which they are holding), what sort of disposition they have, etc. If the player is PMed back that they've run into someone, we can announce that those players are fighting, but not where. To keep it secret. The players can then argue their cases to the judges, who will weight all of the factors and decide the outcome.

Uhm, the forbidden zones never change, but they don't stay on forever. The trap squares could stay on the whole game, untils someone hits them.

15. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Sweet. So how about as a base using three ability scores? That wouldn't be too complicated...? I'd reckon it'd work, simply because it's just one thing everybody does at the beginning of the game, and then it's locked in.

:oops: Of course! That's how turns would run. My apologies, I had an actual turn order stuck into my head for some reason. But when things are PM to hosts, you don't need to do that, do you. . . .

I assume then that if you moved three squares from A to D, but ran into a player on C, you would stop your movement there and deal with whatever is on C. What happens if, in the same example, you ran across a new weapon on grid square C? Would it be dealt with retrospectively after the player has been informed what they've run across? Or do items halt movement as well. . . .

The final point I've noticed, is what happens if a person ends their movement on somebody else's territory that they have just vacated that same turn? As in, Player 1 moves from A to B, and on the same turn Player 2 PMs the hosts making a movement from B to D. Player 2, I would have to assume, is off the square by the time 1 gets there (if things happen concurrently). That then raises the question of movements that cross each other. If Player 1 goes from A to C and Player 2 goes from B-1 to B+1 they would meet at B, no dramas. But what about if, same scenario, Player 2 comes from B-2 to B+1. Do they meet?

myth update: Just wanted to mention that some good progress has been made in the Mythology Draft. Sorry that it's taken a little longer. But I've just been given a project in RL that has to be ready by Saturday, so I'll be juggling that with more Mythology work, but I'll be really busy regardless. Perhaps by the end of the weekend.

:)

16. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    I think that, if you cross a square someone else crosses, then you meet, but if you're leaving a square that someone else is entering, there would be no detection. Maybe something like "someone has recently been here".

Also, I would say if you don't land on a weapon square, you don't get the weapon.

And three ratings...how about Strength, Dexterity, and Intelligence? Strength would be better with the hand held weapons(and unarmed), Dexterity with the guns, intelligence would give you a bigger bonus with your "dig in" stance or something.

I dunno, maybe that's adding even more uneveness to people with guns, but say you have no dexterity, you'd basically have no clue how to even use the thing.

17. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Create a Year of TV/Movies: we're working on it, with some help from Moleman. If you want to give suggestions, the links are on the last page and were suggested by Jango10.

18. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    EF;

Perhaps the tracking skill - "someone has recently been here" - could also be attached to a certain movement stance. I would say sprinting. Yes, logically that may seem odd, but when I thought about it, if you added it to the dig in stance, then it really is getting all the bonuses. Sprinting wouldn't do you much good. When you sprint, if you cross a square that someone during that turn had previously been in, I reckon you'd smell them you're running so fast. There's my counter-logic explanation. :p

Ah, so it's all about the squares you land on that really matter? So the ones you cross only matter when there's a person there or a trap.

Those three ratings work. Splitting up guns and hand-to-hand combat is probably smart. I don't see it as unevenness, it's more of a gambit if you go with more dexterity that you will find a ranged weapon. Or go the safe way with strength, but then lose out on the bonus if you find a gun, etc. Works for me. What about Constitution for the third? I just fail to see how intelligence helps a dig in stance. Plus, CON could give you better sprinting bonuses (more stamina) and the like. Either way, it doesn't matter, it does the same. :p

19. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I like Con for the third one. That works. I mean, I really do think it can be kept extremely simple. The categories take some of the randomness out of it, and I like that. It's still pretty random though. Which is good, that leaves it fair to everyone, or someone could just get extremely lucky.

20. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Agreed. I'm quite happy/excited for this now. I think the next stage that really needs to be thought and written out is a first post so to speak. The rules, outlined for everybody. Think you could do that whenever you feel up to it?

Also, in regards to the mythology draft, I can assure you it's not a myth (haha [face_plain]) and now that it's past the weekend and I'm not taken up by what I previously mentioned, we'll have something up this week; perhaps tomorrow evening.

21. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    The Mythology Draft

We live!

Here is a tentative - but at the same time inclusive - draft list for this new and exciting game:

Draftable Characters

Regular list:

Achilles
    Actaeon
    Adrasteia
    Aeneas
    Agamemnon
    Agilaz
    Ajax the Great
    Ajax the Lesser
    Am-heh
    Ammit
    amphisbaena
    Andvari
    Angantyr
    Antaeus
    anubite
    Argus Panoptes
    Asterix
    Atalanta
    Basilisk
    Bellerophon
    Beowulf
    Brynhildr
    Cadmus
    Caeneus
    Calchas
    Calydonian Boar
    Cassandra
    Castor
    Cecrops I
    centaur
    Cerberus
    Ceryneian Hind
    Chimera
    Chiron
    Cretan Bull
    cyclops
    Cycnus, son of Ares
    Daedalus
    Dag the Wise
    Diomedes
    Dvalinn
    Echo
    Egill Skallagrímsson
    Eitri & Brokkr
    Erymanthian Boar
    Fafnir
    Fenghuang
    Fenrisulfr
    Ganymede
    Garmr
    Geryon
    Glaukos
    griffin
    Guan Yu
    Gudrun
    Gunther
    Halfdan the Old
    harpy
    Hector
    Heiracosphinx
    Helgi Hundingsbane
    Heracles
    Hikaru Genji
    hippocamp
    Hippolyta
    Hjalmar
    Houyi
    Hreidmar
    Icarus
    Imperial guardian lions
    Iolaus
    Jason
    Jörmungandr
    Kappa
    Kintaro
    Kitsune
    Lady Zhurong
    Laertes
    Lamia
    Lernaean Hydra
    Mare of Diomedes
    Medea
    Medusa
    Melampus
    Midas
    Minotaur
    Mopsus
    Nemean Lion
    Neoptolemus
    Nestor
    Obelix
    Odysseus
    Oni
    Orion
    Orpheus
    Orthrus
    Orvar-Odd
    Ótr
    Paris
    Patroclus
    Pegasus
    Penthesilea
    Perseus
    Pheonix
    Pixiu
    Polydeuces (Pollux)
    Qilin
    Regin
    Remus
    Romulus
    Saito Musashibo Benkei
    Sarpedon
    Sigurd
    Sojobo
    Sphinx
    Stymphalian birds
    Talos
    Telephus
    Theris Nordo Ichka
    Theseus
    unicorn
    Wayland Smith
    Wiglaf
    Yrsa

Deity list:

Ægir
    Aeolus [specify incarnation]
    Aether
    Amaterasu
    Amun
    Anemoi [specify incarnation]
    Anubis
    Apep
    Aphrodite
    Apollo
    Apollo
    Ares
    Artemis
    Asclepius
    Ate
    Athena
    Atlas
    Atropos
    Baldr
    Bast
    Caerus
    Calypso
    Chaos
    Charon
    Chronos
    Circe
    Clotho
    Cronus
    Cybele
    Demeter
    Diana
    Dionysus
    Eir
    Eos
    Erebus
    Eros
    Forseti
    Fortuna
    Freyja
    Freyr
    Frigg
    Fujin
    Gaia
    Geb
    Hachiman
    Hades
    Hathor
    He Xiangu
    Hecate
    Heimdall
    Hel
    Helios
    Hemera
    Hephaestus
    Hera
    Hermes
    Horus
    Hypnos
    Iðunn
    Imhotep
    Inari
    Iris
    Isis
    Jade Emperor
    Janus
    Juno
    Jupiter
    Kagu-tsuchi
    Khnum
    Lachesis
    Lei Gong
    Loki
    Lü Dongbin
    Ma'at
    Mars
    Menoetius
    Menthu
    Mercury
    Metis
    Minerva
    Momus
    Morpheus
    Neith
    Nekhbet
    Nemesis
    Nephthys
    Neptune
    Njord
    Nyx
    Oceanus
    Odin
    Osiris
    Pan
    Persephone
    Pluto
    Poseidon
    Prometheus
    Proteus
    Ptah
    Ra
    Raijin
    Sarutahiko
    Saturn
    Sekhmet
    Selene
    Set
    Shu
    Skaði
    Sobek
    Sol
    Susanoo
    Tefnut
    Thor
    Thoth
    Týr
    Ullr
    Uranus
    Venus
    Vidar
    Vulcan
    Wadjet
    Wepwawet
    Yuki-onna
    Zeus

Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Norse, Japanese and Chinese mythologies are currently what is being used. Needless to say, the bulk of it come from the Greeks.

There are 124 regulars in the first list, and, strangely enough, there are 124 deities in the second list as well. That was not planned.

As was explained when the Mythology Draft was first drafted, deities do not fight in battles themselves. They fight through the person they are aligned with. Alignment is a key (and new!) feature in this draft, so note what it means well.

Because of how things have turned out, the original idea of 8 regular characters and 4 deities is not going to work out. When pondering over it, we've decided that a blessed solution to this would be to run a draft in which people pick 6 characters from both lists: 6 regulars; 6 deities. This makes a team of 12 - however, all deities are aligned with regular drafties. Which means only 6 battles occur. This will also mean trumps are a non-factor. You are not allowed to trump characters.

I'll be the commissioner for the Mythology Draft. And I have three brave souls already lined up to tackle the roles of judges - which will definitely be an interesting one in this.

I've explained some random things in direct relation to the draft. Please, nothing is locked in. That's what this thread is for. You can now see the list - if you are interested enough to scroll through it, comments are welcome. Additions

22. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Apollo's on there twice ;)

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Probably accidentally because he's the same whether Greek or Roman. :p

24. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    How did I not spot this earlier?

Finally, a draft where I know something about the people involved.

Question: if battles that are in the mythology get repeated (e.g. Theseus vs. the Minotaur) does the draft battle automatically turn out the same way? Or could something (say if Minotaur's deity >>> Theseus' deity) overturn the original?

Also, Medusa's on there, but the other two Gorgons aren't. Was this an oversight, or are Sthenno and Euryale simply considered too obscure? :p

25. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Awesome. It would be great to see you in this one, Nemesis. :D

No, there are no pre-set outcomes. Nothing is locked in. Since everybody will have a deity backing them, that could make all the difference. But, then again, it may still turn out the same. And it's not necessarily about deities > than others, but rather what they can do with their character in a draft battle. And that's where the fun really begins.

No, skipping over the other two Gorgons was not an oversight. And definitely no, they're not too obscure. It was quite simple, really. They are immortal. Doesn't really do us much good in a draft battle, now, does it? :p

Spot on, my man. When putting this together, I had them in separate mythology lists. Didn't even realise that I had the name in each one. I'm thinking, since there doesn't appear to be much difference between them, that to solve it I'll remove one of them and make the remaining one: Apollo [specify mythology].

:)