main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena [Game] The Basketball Draft

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Jan 16, 2013.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Yes. This is take two on this idea. You can see the original attempt in the Arena Archives.

This time, we're going to try it a little bit differently. And, hopefully finish it and crown a winner this time.

So, I give to you ...

A long time ago ...
    In a forum Far, Far Away ...

The Jedi Draft, the Draft that started them all was kicked off. It spawned a Starfighter Draft, a Comic Book Draft, A Movie and TV Character Draft, a Video Game Character Draft, an Anti-Draft, a Cute and Cuddly Draft, and many more.

But, at the root, was this yearning to bring the draft back to where it should have started all along. Sports.

So, we bring you ...

The Basketball Draft.

Where you will attempt to build the ultimate basketball team. Of all time.

[​IMG]

So, let's get to the nuts and bolts.

There are two types of participants in this game.

1) The Commish. That's me. It's my job to randomize draft order, post matches and results, and keep the game flowing.
    2) The GMs. There will be 8 of these. It's your job through the draft, free agency and trades to build your team, select your starting lineup, and create your sub strategy.

The game will be played out in five phases:

1) The Draft.

The GMs will be randomized into an order that will reverse every round. This will continue for 12 rounds. When your turn to pick is up, you will have 24 hours to make your selection. When making a selection, you will need to specify a specific year, during their pro career, that you want this player from. No other GM can select this player, and you can change the year before the games start (for those draft veterans, this is similar to picking the Hulk in the Comic Book Draft).

During the draft, trades of players and future picks can be made. All parties must produce a private conversation and involve the commish. The Commish has the ability to veto any trade.

2) Free Agency Period

The GMs will be given 48 hours after the close of drafting to make add/drops to their team. Once they are done, they will post their final roster and team name. Trades can be done during this time, with the same rules as above. Once this phase is done, rosters are locked, and no trades or add/drops can be done.

3) Group Stage

The 8 teams will be randomly divided into two four-team groups. Each team will play the other team in their group twice, with each team being designated as "home" for one of the games. When the schedule is posted for the next set of games, each GM will have 24 hours to post their starting lineup. The GM will also post their first and second sub at each position, and target minutes for each player at each position.

Then, the games will be simulated at www.whatifsports.com. The Commish will provide the results and box scores, as well as any exciting/amusing acts from the simulation.

4) The Playoffs

The top two teams from each group will advance to the playoffs. The #1 team in the first group will play the #2 team in the second group, and vice versa. These will be best 2-of-3 series. Each GM will be allowed to change their starting lineup and sub strategy between each game.

In the case of a tie for determining who will advance out of a group (or take top spot), the following tie-breakers will be used:

• Record in games involving tied teams
    • Margin of victory in games involving tied teams
    • Overall Margin of Victory
    • One Game Playoff
    The winners of the two playoff games will advance to the championship, which will be a best of five series. Again, each GM will be allowed to change their starting lineup and sub strategy between each game.

5) The Championship Parade

The winner of the championship game will be given a parade in his honor, with the mayor blocking off much of downtown. Or, well, Game winner VIPship and colors for a week.
    But, before we get to any of that, we need to finish the preliminary phase. Sign-ups!
    Once we have 8 participants, we'll play. And, if this succeeds, we'll look into other sports such as Baseball, Football, hockey, and even college basketball or football.
    Good luck, and let's see who can come out on top!

1)
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)
    7)
    8)

To sign-up, just copy the above list and add your name to it.

2. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    1) Point Given
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)
    7)
    8)

3. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    MandaloreYak

1) Point Given
    2) EF
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)
    7)
    8)

Why the heck not?

4. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    1) Point Given
    2) EF
    3) Jedi Gunny
    4)
    5)
    6)
    7)
    8)

Might as well.

5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    1) Point Given
    2) EF
    3) Jedi Gunny
    4) DarthTunick
    5)
    6)
    7)
    8)

6. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
  7. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004

8. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    You can generate a play-by-play with this thing? What?

9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    We sure can. It's pretty sweet.

Yak ... Good to see you again.

10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    1) Point Given
    2) EF
    3) Jedi Gunny
    4) DarthTunick
    5)
    6) tom
    7) The Yak
    8)

11. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Thanks DI. I felt the draft-force calling to me, and I found it...
    Or EF told me.

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    1) Point Given
    2) EF
    3) Jedi Gunny
    4) DarthTunick
    5) heels
    6) tom
    7) The Yak
    8)

I'm in, sounds cool.

13. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Ugh, Rangers. Go home wit that weaksauce homie.

14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Ah. And I look forward to the watching team you build around Anthony Mason.

15. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    So how is this picking what year for the players going to work? Can you use the same year multiple times?

Or, wait, we pick one year and can't change it after the games start. I can reading comprehension.

16. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    1) Point Given
    2) EF
    3) Jedi Gunny
    4) DarthTunick
    5) heels
    6) tom
    7) The Yak
    8) New York Jedi

Trying to decide which Scal season to pick is going to be tough.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Let's get it started then. Maybe I can talk LloydChristmas to give some breakdowns and thoughts since he missed signups.

Here's our draft order:

Round One:

1) New_York_Jedi
    2) Point Given
    3) heels1785
    4) Jedi Gunny
    5) tom
    6) MandaloreYak
    7) EmpireForever
    8) DarthTunick

Round Two:

1) DarthTunick
    2) EmpireForever
    3) MandaloreYak
    4) tom
    5) Jedi Gunny
    6) heels1785
    7) Point Given
    8) New_York_Jedi

As I update the board, I'll keep a running list of who has already been drafted at the bottom.

New_York_Jedi is on the clock.

18. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Nice. Jordan. 88-89.

19. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Question DarthIntegral

Say I select a player's season that came before a particular stat was counted. For example, blocks weren't counted until 1973-74, and the season and player I want came before that. Would that negatively affect him?

20. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    This is just from a little bit of experience and is probably not entirely related to your inquiry, but I've been simming a bunch of random match ups(mostly with my team from the last draft), and a certain someone who played before blocks were counted has been consistently named MVP of those games.

This is just a small sample, so don't count it as concrete evidence or anything.

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    No impact. Whatifsports has retrofit unofficial stats in most cases. Players as far back as '51-52 have blocks as a stat.

Which, I should point out, '51-52 is the earliest season that appears in Whatifsports. So, you probably don't want to go earlier than that.

22. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 1971-72

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  24. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Damn it!

25. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    DAMMMMIIIIITTTTT

put me on the alternate list por favor like NOW