main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena [Game] The Basketball Draft

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Jan 16, 2013.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    From the Alamodome, in San Antonio, Texas ...

Sahara Heat Wave vs. Blue Screen of Death

They say with talent like this, there are no upsets.

This result sure felt like one.

With one massive third quarter effort, Blue Screen of Death propelled themselves to their first victory of the tournament, and gave new hope to the two teams player later on tonight for advancing.

Vince Carter spurred a 13-0 run in the middle of the third quarter. What had been a tight, four-point game turned into a 17-point lead for BSoD. Carter got the run going by nailing two jumpshots. He then fed Bob Pettit for a jumpshot, and then buried a three. For the game, Carter ended up with 20 points.

The star for BSoD was Bob Pettit, who was named player of the game. Pettit scored 22, and added 6 rebounds, 4 assists, three blocks, and three steals. Julius Erving was the third player from BSoD to score 20, with 21 points. John Stockton added a double-double with 12 point and 12 assists.

Dwight Howard paced Sahara with 24 points and 11 rebounds. The one stat that will stick out for sahara is Zero. As in Zero three-point shots made, out of 8 attempts.

Blue Screen of Doom have been eliminated from the tournament, but will close out against the L.A. Courtsiders, in what could be a play-in game for them. Sahara Heat Wave will play Honey Nut Cheerios, in a game that both teams might need to win to advance.

Final Score: Blue Screen of Death 121, Sahara Heat Wave 94

Full Play-by-Play

Box Score:

[​IMG]

2. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Wow, destroyed. So as it turns out, my team is, well...

[​IMG]

heels1785 likes this.
  3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Looks like I made up for that narrow loss to start the tourney. :D

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    From the Alamo Dome in San Antonio, Texas ...

Honey Nut Cheerios vs. L.A. Courtsiders

For Honey Nut Cheerios, the third quarter was one to forget. And, one that might force them to forget about playing in the semi-finals.

Kevin Durant scored 9 of his 24 in the third quarter, and Magic Johnson had seven of his 18 points in the third quarter and four of his 12 assists on his way to being named player of the game. Kevin McHale lead all scorers on the night with 26, and he added 11 rebounds to that as well.

But, it was Magic being Magic that really helped the Courtsiders run away with this one. With Magic feeding his teammates, and occupying the attention of the defense, he was able to get good looks for his teammates, allowing L.A. to shoot 58% from the field. L.A. was also a remarkable 17/19 from the charity stripe.

Michael Jordan lead the Cheerios in a losing effort with 19 points, but this loss will leave them feeling soggy.

Up next, The Cheerios play the suddenly slumping Sahara Heatwave. With L.A. Courtsiders having what looks, on paper, to be an easier game against Blue Screen of Death, that Cheerios-Heatwave game could mean winner advances, and loser goes home.

Final Score: L.A. Courtsiders 120, Honey Nut Cheerios 98

Full Play-by-Play

Box Score:

[​IMG]

DarthTunick likes this.
  5. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    From Hinkle Fieldhouse, in Indianapolis, Indiana ...

Game...Blouses vs. Midland City Gutless Wonders

The Gutless Wonders proved to be anything but gutless.

Trailing entering the fourth quarter. In danger of losing two-in-a-row. Seeing their great start to the tournament threaten to slip away from them, the Gutless Wonders dug deep. And found a way to survive.

90 seconds into the fourth quarter, Larry Bird put Midland City ahead on a jumper from the paint. That lead was short lived, but served as the catalyst, as about 90 seconds later, Chris Paul hit a jumpshot, got fouled, and converted the "and 1" to give the Gutless Wonders the lead they would never relinquish.

Chris Webber was able to seal the game down the stretch. With 79 seconds left, Webber's bank shot put Midland City up by 8. Webber then stole it from Gary Payton, and had a beautiful no-look feed to Chris Paul that put the Gutless Wonders up 10, and deflated Game...Blouses. Webber then made four free throws down the stretch For the game, Webber ended up with 14 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists, and four steals.

Webber, however, was outshined by Wilt Chamberlain, who took player-of-the-game honors with 25 points and 14 rebounds.

Karl Malone lead the way for Game...Blouses with 21 points and 15 rebounds in a losing effort.

Midland City will close out group play against Bruce willis. Game...Blouses will end their campaign against We Talkin' Bout Practice, where the 'Blouses will attempt to avoid being the only winless team in group play, but might do so against a team that could be in a win-and-your-in situation.

Final Score: Midland City Gutless Wonders 109, Game...Blouses 102

Full Play-by-Play

Box Score:

[​IMG]

6. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    From Hinkle Fieldhouse, in Indianapolis, Indiana ...

Bruce Wilis vs. We Talkin' Bout Practice?

This was not a game for the faint of heart.

Needing a win to stay alive, We Talkin' Bout Practice had given up hope. They were down six with 59 seconds to play.

Then, Kobe Bryant hits two free throws. It's a four-point game.

Kobe steps into the passing lane and steals it from Tracy McGrady. Kobe takes it to the hoop himself, and it's a two-point game.

Kevin Garnett blocks Tracy McGrady. With five seconds left, Garnett hits it after coming open due to a double team on Shaquille O'Neal.

Game tied. Five seconds left.

Suddenly, We Talkin' Bout Practice believes not only can they win the game, but they can advance from the group.

Then, at the buzzer, Lebron James gets a good look at a shot from the free throw line.

Ball in the air, We Talkin' Bout Practice is giving up hope.

The ball clanks out, and hope is renewed.

A back-and-forth overtime period ensued, but Bruce willis pulled ahead by seven. Once again, We Talkin' Bout Practice is giving up hope. But, a three by Iverson, a block of Lebron by Dikembe Mutombo, and a finger roll by KG, and the game is within two with 45 seconds left. Once again, Kobe steps into the passing lane and steals the pass. He's fouled, but makes both free throws to tie it up again.

Hope renewed for We Talkin' 'Bout Practice.

Tie game. 34 seconds left.

This time, however, Lebron makes his shot. KG misses a fadeaway.

Hope fading.

Lebron misses both free throws.

Hope is back.

David Robinson grabs the rebound.

Hope is fading.

Foul on Lebron after a quick pass. This time he makes both for a four-point margin.

Hope is gone. And so is We Talkin' Bout Practice.

David Robinson was named player of the game. He scored 25, and grabbed 8 rebounds (including that clutch end-of-overtime rebound), while dishing out 5 assists and blocking four shots. Tracy McGrady added 38 points, and LeBron had 20/9/6.

In the losing effort, Allen Iverson scored 26, Kevin Garnett scored 24 and grabbed 10 rebounds, Kobe scored 19, Shaq had 17, and Tiny Archibald put in 16 points off the bench.

We Talkin' Bout Practice will have to play the "what if" game as they prepare for an essentially meaningless final game against Game...Blouses. Bruce willis ends the group stage against Midland City Gutless Wonders - both teams have already clinched advancement, but seeding is at stake.

Final Score: Bruce willis 126, We Talkin' Bout Practice? 122 (OT)

Full Play-by-Play

Box Score:

[​IMG]

7. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Things are getting interesting over there in Alley.

8. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Standings

Alley Division

Sahara Heatwave 3-2 (+5)
    Honey Nut Cheerios 3-2 (+3)
    L.A. Courtsiders 3-2 (+11)
    z - Blue Screen of Death 1-4 (-19)

Oop Division

x - Midland City Gutless Wonders 4-1 (+30)
    x - Bruce Willis 4-1 (+66)
    z - We Talkin' Bout Practice? 2-3 (-32)
    z - Game...Blouses 0-5 (-64)

x - denotes team has guaranteed advancement to semifinals
    z - denotes team has been eliminated

Next set of games:

Blue Screen of Death @ L.A. Courtsiders
    Sahara Heatwave @ Honey Nut Cheerios
    Bruce Willis @ Midland City Gutless Wonders
    We Talkin' Bout Practice? @ Game...Blouses

The Situation:

If L.A. Courtsiders defeat Blue Screen of Death, they advance
    The winner of Sahara Heatwave vs. Honey Nut Cheerios will advance
    if Blue Screen of Death wins, the loser of Sahara Heat Wave vs. Honey Nut Cheerios will go to tiebreakers against L.A. Courtsiders. If L.A. Courtsiders wins, the loser of Sahara Heatwave vs. Honey Nut Cheerios will be eliminated.

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Well, we went down fighting. I'll roll with the same lineup and try to make it to .500.

10. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Ohhhhhh boy. This is more exciting than the real NBA.

Then again, that's not really saying much.

11. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Same depth chart for us as well.

gl tom

12. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    We will have our depth chart in tonight. After we finish "talking" with Elgin Baylor.

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    wow, crazy game. i'll leave my lineup the same as well.

14. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    [​IMG]
    C: Dwight Howard (40), Nate Thurmond (8)
    PF: Tim Duncan (43), Nate Thurmond (4), Dolph Schayes (1)
    SF: James Worthy (20), Elgin Baylor (18), Bobby Jones (10)
    SG: Oscar Robertson (36), Anfernee Hardaway (12)
    PG: Bob Cousy (24), Joe Dumars (16), Rajon Rondo (8)

15. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Charlotte Bobcats here we come!

Keeping the same lineup.

16. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Actually, is it too late change my lineup?

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    You can change it until I post a game.

18. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    [​IMG]

C: Dwight Howard (40), Nate Thurmond (8)
    PF: Tim Duncan (43), Nate Thurmond (4), Dolph Schayes (1)
    SF: James Worthy (20), Elgin Baylor (18), Bobby Jones (10)
    SG: Oscar Robertson (38), Joe Dumars (10)
    PG: Bob Cousy (24), Anfernee Hardaway (16), Rajon Rondo (8)

19. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

If you're not a fan of the sport, why are you playing this game?

20. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    I was a fan during the Jordan era, after he retired (or rather, left the Bulls) I lost interest. I pay enough attention to know most of the big stars and playoff scenarios and have a couple favorites, but it just seems alot softer and not as exciting now. If I had like a couple legitimate teams I really liked, I'd follow it more.

Do love playing though. Even though I can't shoot for anything. Which is weird because up till 10th grade I could. Then like, that summer it just left me.

21. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    That must have been the summer you took up tennis and decided to haunt me for the last half of high school with your dinky shots.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I will likely get the next round of games done on Thursday.

23. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  24. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Lol I think the last half was when I learned how to hit with topspin. What can I say, I started in 8th grade.

25. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    the heck is this?