main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena [Game] The Basketball Draft

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Jan 16, 2013.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think i should have taken wilt too. i just really wanted lebron and figured there was no chance he'd still be there when i took my second pick.

2. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Well...technically.

3. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I always implicitly discount players like Wilt and Robertson's numbers when compared to modern players...does the what if sports do that or do they assume Wilt could put up those numbers in the modern era? Cause that is ridiculous, obviously, but it does change draft strategy if the latter is the case.

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    While What If's game engines and algorithms are proprietary, it does appear they adjust for era, tempo, and the such. I can't say for certain that they don't just translate stat-for-stat, but it does appear that isn't the case. They've published some articles in the past on other sports and looked at advanced metrics as well as traditional metrics.

5. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    I hope they take into account what era they played in. And what I mean is... Wilt was dominant. He should still be dominant. Perhaps he wouldn't be as dominant in today's era, but then he'd also have the training today's people do. And we don't really know what would happen. So the player should be judged according to the era they played in and not by today's standards.

6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Since I've got 2 back-to-back picks, it's been a real challenge to figure out who to scoop up in order to gain a great advantage, but it's time to pick. So, with the final pick of the 1st round & the first pick of the 2nd round, the L.A. Courtsiders select:

[​IMG]

Magic Johnson (1986-1987 season)

&

[​IMG]

Hakeem Olajuwon (1993-1994 season)

7. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    This means someone is gonna pick and then it'll be me tomorrow... I'd better try to get a PM in tonight.

Does the simulator take cohesion into account if people played on the same team?

8. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
  9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    man, i was hoping to nab either hakeem or bird.

10. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    the fact that those particular people were still around at that point is just... yowza.

11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Yak, in the 100s of simulations I've done on What If, I've seen nothing to suggest teammates playing together has a definitive positive correlation. That said, my football sims seem to go better when I have Brady and Moss from '07. That could have more to do with Brady and Moss from '07 than teammates.

Round One:

1) New_York_Jedi - Michael Jordan (88-89)
    2) Point Given - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (71-72)
    3) heels1785 - Shaquille O'Neal (99-00)
    4) Jedi Gunny - Bill Russel (61-62)
    5) tom - Lebron James (11-12)
    6) MandaloreYak - Oscar Robertson (61-62)
    7) EmpireForever - Wilt Chaimberlain (61-62)
    8) DarthTunick - Magic Johnson (86-87)

Round Two:

1) DarthTunick - Hakeem Olajuwan (93-94)
    2) EmpireForever - Larry Bird (84-85)
    3) MandaloreYak - On the Clock
    4) tom
    5) Jedi Gunny
    6) heels1785
    7) Point Given
    8) New_York_Jedi

Players Selected:

Larry Bird
    Wilt Chamberlain
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    Lebron James
    Magic Johnson
    MIchael Jordan
    Shaquille O'Neal
    Hakeem Olajuwan
    Oscar Robertson
    Bill Russell

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    EF, two excellent picks so far. Shocked that Bird was still around.

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Part of me was really hoping Tunick would seize the opportunity to put Bird and Magic together at last. Not that I can fault him for his picks.

14. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Anyone want to make a trade for this pick? I realize it's short notice since I'm planning on picking before I sleep. And I'm in bed. But if someone gets to me pretty soon...

15. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    This draft's pretty deep though, considering we're only using a single season for everyone. Pretty safe to say there are going to be some pretty remarkable steals later on, I think.

What kind of deal are you trying to make, Yak?

16. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Well actually, it seems there's a player who is on every list I can find around this area and universally regarded to be the best at his position.

With the 11th overall pick, the Sahara Heatwave select:

Tim Duncan (2002-2003).

And now, we will do what most people do after a Tim Duncan sighting. Get ready for bed.

17. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I really, really wanted to do that, but figured getting one of the all time great center's (since Kareem was already picked) was just a bit more important.

18. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    -10 points for not doing that.

-30 to everyone who didn't draft Shaq, even though he was picked 3rd.

+a box of cereal to whoever pairs up KG and Melo

These are my breakdowns thus far.

19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm really torn between two centers, but i'm going to go with...

david robinson '90-'91

20. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Good pick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

21. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    not a... bad pick, but i can think of more than a few people i'd have taken over robinson.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    You're both wrong. That was a great pick. The Admiral is perhaps the most efficient center of all time. 90-92 probably isn't his best season, but that is correctable.

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  23. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    The staff at the nearby deli would like to thank DarthIntegral for showing LloydChristmas this "whatifsports" site, leading to what is potentially a lifelong dependency on their food from never doing anything but these simulations again.

24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, looking at advanced metrics i might have to switch to '93-'94. i'm still an old school stats guy, and was enamored with his blocks, rebounds, and fg % from the '90-'91 season.

25. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    With my pick, I will take . . .

Dr. J, 1980-1981

[​IMG]