[Game] THE GREAT DEBATE

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Souderwan, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lowbacca_1977 Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm just going back to roughly what I'd had after getting colours back in may/june. though i think i had a greener boder.
  2. Souderwan Shelf of Shame "Loser"

Game Winner
    star 6
    Didn't someone say something about imitation being the sincerest form of flattery or something?
  3. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    And I'm sure lexu would say my ego doesn't need any more boosts. ;)

I think any time we have a no-show for debate, we should go for the gentle heckling of "lol@User" that we've got here. Any objections?

E_S
  4. Souderwan Shelf of Shame "Loser"

Game Winner
    star 6
    None whatsoever! It's entirely within the spirit of the game! :p
  5. Li_Sakai Jedi Knight

star 1
    Apologies. I got caught in some RL drama, which is always fun.
  6. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    No probs, Suzuki. You just have to ensure lulz in addition to your ban.

E_S
  7. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Yes. I think this is appropriate treatment for all losers, actually. :p
  8. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    I don't remember what you said aside from Thursday or Friday--so I'm going to post here and indicate I'm available on late Friday afternoon/early evening... say, 6pm board time and later. Thursday I'm available 5pm board time and later.

In theory. Barring near-death and/or a trip to the emergency room, which as you all know is perfectly possible! :p
  9. Souderwan Shelf of Shame "Loser"

Game Winner
    star 6
    Sorry, gents. I'm going to have to move this to the weekend. I'll PM you both for a Saturday/Sunday debate. :)
  10. Souderwan Shelf of Shame "Loser"

Game Winner
    star 6
    Ok. I've tried to do this topic a few times, but I'm not giving up.

Next Debate: US immigration policy is sufficient and the current debate about the illegal immigration problem in the US is a result of poor enforcement, vice a need for a new policy.

Jello will be assigned the "For" position (i.e. defends the above statement) and Blubeast will be "against".

Date: Sunday 30 Sep 07
    Time: 3 p.m. board time (6 p.m. EDT)

Reminder: You do have the right to refuse a given debate without penalty once during a season. If you wish to refuse (can't be here, don't like the topic, etc), PM me as soon as possible so that a replacement debater can be named. Players are also authorized to "swap" positions if you both agree to it.

I will follow up with a PM to both of you now.
  11. Lowbacca_1977 Force Ghost

star 6
    Looking forward to the audiance roll, given I've got my whole statement for my debate-to-be still saved
  12. Souderwan Shelf of Shame "Loser"

Game Winner
    star 6
    Good. Blu's trying to get out of the topic, but I think I'm gonna stick to my guns here. Jello wants a Roman Bride if he wins since he already has colors.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Yawn. Man, I'm way too exhausted.

Because I'm so busy, I'm going to give a special treat. I'm going to go into the debate cold, without any preparation or study aside from random thoughts. It'll be an exercise of pure eloquence in my case.

Not like I have time for research anyway. ;)
  14. Souderwan Shelf of Shame "Loser"

Game Winner
    star 6
    [image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/bosouder/dance.gif] [image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/bosouder/dance.gif] [image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/bosouder/dance.gif] [image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/bosouder/dance.gif] [image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/bosouder/dance.gif] [image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/bosouder/dance.gif]

Welcome ladies, gentlemen, and weird little creatures, to our 3nd competition in?.

THE GREAT DEBATE!!

[image=http://www.murderoncue.com/Images/Applause.gif]

Today, we have GrandAdmiralJello (from here on, known as Jello) squaring off against Blubeast1237 (who we will, from now on, call Blu).

Today?s competitors will competitors will debate the following:

US immigration policy is sufficient and the current debate about the illegal immigration problem in the US is a result of poor enforcement, vice a need for a new policy.

Blu will oppose and Jello will be in favor.

Finally, a word from the producers:

Debators: Please check in and then I?ll get this ball rolling.

Good luck! And have fun on?.

THE GREAT DEBATE!!

[image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/bosouder/dance2.gif] [image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/bosouder/dance2.gif] [image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/bosouder/dance2.gif] [image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/bosouder/dance2.gif] [image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/bosouder/dance2.gif] [image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/bosouder/dance2.gif]
  15. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    I'm here. I'll have to run to do a quick 15-20 minute errand, but then I should be here for the duration.'

Citizens! Have you not heard the clamour for immigration reform? Have you not seen the people marching in the streets? Indeed, our own senators sing on Spanish language radio stations and have cocktail parties with the partisans of vigilante movements. Clearly, some great change is in the wings... waiting to alter the paradigm of the borders and airports. Could this change be for the better? Perhaps, but one wonders how much of a gamble the nation is willing to take.

We stand at the crossroads of change. Here the path of the meandering river forks into lands unknown--could they be inviting and promising, or will they be inhospitable and dreadful? Before setting out on such a precarious journey, it would be wise to consider whether or not such a reckless path ought to be taken. For if it should not, then we will have wasted not only time but the very future of our nation: we will have placed the burden of an irresponsible change upon our children. This is a burden that our children will not thank us for.

Let us begin by outlining the situation as it stands. Every year, there is a human torrent at our borders and airports. The United States is an oyster beyond compare--she is a prize that millions the world over would seek to call their own. Despite this--and perhaps even because of it--the United States is not protected by an impenetrable clamshell. In fact, she is an oyster that willingly leaves its shell open to all who seek a taste. Yet an oyster that remains open--or a woman who lays invitingly for everyone--soon loses its allure. Used and violated against her better judgment, the United States becomes a country that will be scarcely recognizeable by our own grandchildren.

But is all this inevitable? Is it truly necessary? As an oyster possesses its shell and a woman possesses her sound judgment, the United States possesses sound restrictions on illegal immigration. These scrolls of law are treated as so much toilet paper by the gentlemen on the Hill, and yet, they contain the very answers that we seek. The causes of illegal immigration are multifarious and tedious to recount, but it is very evident that the sacrilegious disregard for our sovereign laws only makes the movement stronger. Indeed: who among the desperate destitute can argue against exploiting such an inviting breach in our nation?s defense network?
    Some have argued in favor of reforming immigration laws in order to help stem this human tide that has overwhelmed our border states. Alas, these individuals are sadly delusional; their claims are out of tune with reality and scarcely credible. How, I ask, will allowing more individuals in legally necessarily restrict the amount that chooses to go for the simpler and easier method of sneaking in? There is a possibility that it may reduce illegal immigration by a small quantity, but it is a question that cannot be answered. Charitably, it is a tremendous gamble made for the chance of the slightest improvement in the status quo.

Is it not more sensible, citizens, to finish what we have already started before blithely setting forth on a journey into the dark forest of uncertainty? How can our current immigration laws be judged a failure it they are not even enforced? What guarantee is there that future laws will also be enforced? Indeed, there is none! A child that breaks his skull because he did not wear his helmet does not have grounds for asking for a new helmet: he should have used the one he already possessed!
    Nay: a new policy is ill-advised and unnecessary. Let us work with what we already have for once instead of placing all our hopes on an unproven and reckless change in legislation.
    />
  16. Souderwan Shelf of Shame "Loser"

Game Winner
    star 6
    A fine opening post, Jello!

Evidence: Well, you were lacking here, but there was none called for in your rhetoric. I'll give you 2.

Logical consistency: Well reasoned and well presented. +4

Coherence: Very well done here! +5

Readability: Also beautifully done. +5

General entertainment value: I liked your approach. Different than previous versions, but also good. +4

Blu, you're up. :)/>
  17. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I'm here watching again.
  18. Souderwan Shelf of Shame "Loser"

Game Winner
    star 6
    Glad to have you, Frieda!! Unfortunately, our friend Blu is taking his time....
  19. Lord Vivec Chosen One

star 7
    He's facing Jello...[face_hypnotized]
  20. blubeast1237 Force Ghost

star 5
    *Sigh*

The United States Immigration policy is not sufficient, for if it was there wouldn't be as many problems with it and people wanting change. Changing the policy will not solve all our problems, obviously. With change comes new problems, but the new problems that have developed are above and more intense than the current policy can handle. If said boy who broke his skull uses his helmet and realizes that his helmet does not fit his enlarged head, does have grounds to ask for a new one! In other words, America had a problem with immigration before this policy, they decided to use a policy and it has not work because it doesn't fit the situations that have risen, then a new policy is called for.

The people of America have seen the policy's flaws and have decided that they want change, a change that will fit with the now problems. Of course, this policy will encounter its share of problems, but we will be more prepared if we hurry and solve the problems we can now and have the pleasure of time to ready ourselves for the next generation of problems to come. Our kids will indeed thank us if we make haste in our effort to fix our mistakes so they do not hold that burden, only to be built upon as it grows older and the newer problems come, younger and stronger.
  21. Exeter Force Ghost

star 4
    This should be entertaining. I have my jumbo popcorn, my full-size 350 oz promotional soft drink with a 1/289th representation of The Rock grinning on the side, and my feet are stuck to the floor.

Everything's normal, then. It's all fine, here, now. How are you?
  22. Souderwan Shelf of Shame "Loser"

Game Winner
    star 6
    Not a bad try, Blu!

Evidence: Like Jello, you didn't need any in your approach, so I'll give you a +2 as well.

Logical consistency: Not sure you did too goo a job here. That bit about the skull and helmet seemed out of place. +2

Coherence: Umm...not so much! +2

Readability: Couple problems here and there. +2

General entertainment value: Yeah...umm..probably for all the wrong reasons, but +4 :p

Gentlemen, you may now directly debate each other.

/>
  23. blubeast1237 Force Ghost

star 5
    You're a *******, Souderpounder. [face_frustrated]

-BeastoftheWonderland-
  24. Souderwan Shelf of Shame "Loser"

Game Winner
    star 6
    I'll let that one slide and not deduct points for poor sportsmanship because I'm a loving host. That, and you don't have very many to lose. Focus on your opponent and not me, kiddo. ;)
  25. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    I shall not be quoting my opponent directly: his tawdry attempts at argumentation will ruin the mirror-finish I have applied to my rhetoric. Rather, one can see where I do latch onto his words and arguments to twist them into failure. Observe:

Were the immigration policy executed, citizen, you might have a point. Alas, that is not the case. Indeed, I refer you to the stepped-up immigration raids over the Seventh Annum of this millennium: every raid results in an avalanche of litigation that leaves all traces of progress buried beneath it. You have actually stumbled upon the crux of my argument, so for that I thank you--it is always nice to receive a helping hand.

The point, indeed, is that the laws are not enforced and so the consequent efficacy of the immigration policy is impossible to determine. You correctly outline a hypothetical case in which a new policy might be sought out: but such a case has not arrived! Further, the hopes placed on such an approach seem wildly out of line with what might actually transpire: where are the feasibility studies and the population models? Have the proponents of such ideas not looked to Europe as a case study? The Old World is awash in migratory workers to their detriment; why do the proponents of a more inclusive immigration policy refuse to consider this?

The People do cry for change, it is true. Enforcing our laws for once would be a very refreshing one.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.