main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Game] THE GREAT DEBATE

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Souderwan, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr_Moderator

Mr_Moderator Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2007
    Good suggestion, Quix!

Lowbacca, I'm not 100% sure on when Season 2 will be. I'll have to see how efficiently things run this Season, first. I suspect in a month, though. As for topics, either way will work. I'd prefer resolutions as it's easier for me to assign them that way, but I can take a given topic and make a resolution out of it for the debaters.

2. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I'll post ideas here, since that will help avoid redundant PM's. And because I want to try and look smart without actually having to defend anything I say. :p

Americo-Imperio-Fascisto-Oh-Like-It's-All-About-You-O Topics [face_flag]

1) Applying the Bill of Rights to the states: "For Great Justice!!" or "Worst. Idea. Evar?"
    2) Judicial Review: "They So Meant To Put That In There" or "Stupid Worthless Made Up Piece Of Crap?"
    3) Civil Rights And The Commerce Clause: "Do What Must Be Done" or "This Is How Liberty Dies?"
    4) Emergency Powers And The Executive Branch: "We Are At War, Anakin," or "POWAH!! UNLIMITED POWAHH!!!"

"We Are The World . . . So Why's This Song Written In English?" Topics

1) Nuclear Proliferation: "It Is Unavoidable. It Is Your Destiny," or "We shall fight on the beaches. We shall fight on the landing grounds . . ."
    2) World Bank: "An Equal Opportunity Lender," or "How To Lose Your Country's Land, Water, And Mineral Rights Without Even Trying?"
    3) The Kyoto Accords: "Clean up, clean up, everybody everywhere!" or "TISNF!"
    4) WTO: "The Freer The Market, The Freer The People" or "Sweat. Shop."?

And In Other News, Countries Besides The U.S. Rumored To Exist

1) Turkey In The EU: "Mmmm. Turkey," or "'Turkey In The Straw' > Turkey In The EU"
    2) Darfur: "What Part Of 'Genocide' Don't You Understand?" or "'Team UN: World Police' Go Home?"
    3) Immigration And Rioting In France: "Oh, Let's Be Nice To Them," or "Where There's A Whip, There's A Way?"
    4) Iraq: "Better Split Into Autonomous Regions" or "Why can't we all just get along?!"

Just For Jello

1) Nero's Rome And The Great Fire: "Someone In This Room . . . IS A MURDERER!!," or "ZOMG, That Was So Not On Purpose."
    2) When Was Roman Civilization At Its Height? "I Love Democracy. I Love The Republic," or "I Have Brought Peace, Justice, Freedom, And Security To My New Empire!"?

3. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I must unfortunately drop out of the game due to unforeseen great things.

4. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    No worries, SLG. Hopefully someone else will slide in there. I'm making up the brackets later today.

1. Hammurabi
    2. ophelia
    4. Jedi_Johnson
    5. Jello
    6. Lord_BlackAdder
    7. Jansons_Funny_Twin
    8. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

5. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I can think of a few topics that I'd like to see debated:

- That "fair trade" is beneficial to society
    - That a global carbon regulation system is worth pursuing
    - That smoking should not be outlawed on private property

And just for fun:

- That Star Wars deserved an Oscar. :p

6. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    o_O Have you considered Batman vs. Wolverine?

7. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    Star Wars deserved an Oscar - but not over Annie Hall.

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Hawk, we wouldn't so much debate "that fair trade is good", I'd go out of my way to prove it lacks compassion, exists to make white people stop wringing their hands with guilt, and encourages bad economic habits keeping the third world further in servitude. And the best part is, I'd not only make my argument with economic theory, I'd use VI Lenin's essay "Imperialism: The Highest Stage of Captialism" to destroy fair trade as an idea. Mwu-har-har. :D

E_S

9. DDL

DDL Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2005
    When are you planning on hosting the first debate?

10. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    Well, this shall be interesting.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yay@ophelia

As for other topics---

I. Meritocracy vs. égalitarianism in socioeconomics and government.
    II. Should there be a ruling class?
    III. World government or a multipolar world?
    IIIb. Imperialism or coöperative confederation in world government?
    IV. School vouchers? y/n?
    V. Is it the government's place to provide education?
    VI. Emphasis in education: should a vocational real-life preparing education be emphasized over a liberal classical education?
    VII. University admissions - purely merit-based or dependant on the baseline level of a community?
    VIII. End of the Roman Empire - a good thing or a bad thing?

12. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Oh I'm all for imperialism.

The Emperor always looked like he was having so much fun.....

13. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    No wonder I love Ophelia!

As for the first debate, I'm looking at Tuesday. They'll be spaced out by a day or so and, since I don't have any other inputs about lack of availablity, we're going to go off what works best for me and my secret compatriot (in case I'm not available). :p

14. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    The first PMs have been sent out. Ladies and gents, baring a change in schedule, the first debate will take place on Tuesday, 3 July at 3 p.m. board time!

Our competitors will be Obi-Zahn Kenobi and Hammurabi. They will be asked to debate the following (rather topical) statement:

The US Government has an obligation to ensure that there is no segregation in public schools.

Currently, Obi-Zahn Kenobi is slated to be in favor of the statement and Hammurabi is slated to be opposed. The players are allowed to swap positions if they like provided that they inform me prior to the start of the debate and they both agree to it.

Let's hope for a good first debate!! :D

Edit: Stupid markups! [face_frustrated]

15. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    If you need someone to take SLG's spot, fill me in.

16. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    I do! Thank you! You're in!

1. Hammurabi
    2. ophelia
    3. JediJeffro
    4. Jedi_Johnson
    5. Jello
    6. Lord_BlackAdder
    7. Jansons_Funny_Twin
    8. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Please let me know if you have times that you're not available.

For those looking for predictability, barring scheduling problems, the plan is for the next debate to be ophelia vs Jansons_Funny_Twin, followed by JediJeffro vs Lord_BlackAdder and finally Jedi_Johnson vs Jello. If you want, it's probably a good idea to go ahead and PM each other to figure out when you can all best do your debates. That way you can propose a time to me, instead of the other way around. ;)

17. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    I guess I can sign up for a reserve position or something. I would've thought someone who asked me to do this before would at least give me a heads up...

18. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Apologize, Suz. My mistake. I thought I'd told you, but I didn't. You'll get a definite spot in Season 2. :)

19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Guys, Souderwan's done a great job in putting this together and so I just wanted to make sure that he knew it was appreciated.

E_S

20. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    I'll second that. =D= Hats off to Souderwan - he seems to be running a real tight ship.

21. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Thanks, gents! I appreciate the sentiments. :)

Slight change of plans, dear Senators. Our two first competitors are ready to go but they wanted a bit more time to do their research when they saw who they were going up against. So we'll be starting the fight at 2030 EDT (that's 8:30 p.m. to you landlubbers, which translates to 5:30 p.m.). It'll run for up to two hours, but Obi-Zahn's been sayinig he'll have this thing wrapped up in 20 mins, so we'll see. :p

22. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    8:30 tonight, or tomorrow night?

23. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    There has been a slight wrinkle. Souderwan is now a participant in the Big Brother game, and is locked away in that thread for up to a couple of months.

E_S and I are currently working out how to handle this game, so stay tuned for further details...

24. darthdrago

darthdrago Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2003
    Boy, that Souderwan is quite the popular guy.

25. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Souderwan has informed me via IM that he has a backup covering the game. Everything is proceeding as he has foreseen.

He also asked me to tell darthdrago that he is not either popular. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.