main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gamecube is way too underrated

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by JediMasterKitFisto, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Zelda

That should be all I need to say but I doubt that will be acceptable. Let's see, just looking through my collection...

Eternal Darkness
    F-Zero
    Mario Kart
    Metroid Prime (1 & 2)
    Star Fox
    Tales of Symphonia
    Rouge Squadron 2
    Mario Party 4 (best of the bunch IMHO)
    Pikmin
    Resident Evil 4 (I know it's supposed to be released for PS2 as well, but I'll belive it when I see it)

2. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    I played a game on the X-Box once. I got confused, lost and a little scared, because the controller was so big I couldn't find the button to start or stop the game.

I cried.

3. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    ^I feel the same way about Playstation. It said "Disc read error", and I thought the machine got posessed.

4. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    but thats not Nintendo's fault, third party developers wont make gamecube games anymore.

Actually, the reason Nintendo has very little third party support is mostly their fault.

I'll first start by saying the GC is my favorite console of the current generation, before I slam them.

First, although Nintendo always talks about focusing on innovation, they have not kept their eyes on the market. Over the last several years the age demographic for games has gotten older and older. Nintendo still focuses on a younger demographic. It's actually kind of ironic considering that the reason the demographic keeps getting older is because many of the people who were kids when they had an NES are still playing video games.

Secondly, although the system is easier to develop for than the PS2 or XBox hardware, they still tried to maintain that extra level of control by making a more expensive proprietary disc format. In general these discs are harder and more expensive to produce than the discs for XBox and PS2. I think this is also one of the contributing reasons that the Sega DreamCast had its early demise - and Nintendo should have learned their lesson from Sega.

Now, considering what Nintendo is saying about Revolution, it seems like they will be addressing both of these issues and perhaps recapturing third party interest. However, they seem not particularly focused on having top notch powerful specs, which although it is true it probably won't make a huge difference to the actual games, the boasting capability by Sony and MS could hurt the Revolution's marketing.

5. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    And that has to do with the size of the controller....?

6. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    You all listen to your friend The2ndQuest. He's a cool dude.

In all seriousness it's because of the new gamer mentallity. It's all about faster, more death, more violence. But Nintendo hasn't done that. They focused more on games with substance. Not saying that other consoles don't have games with substance, it's just...
    Hmm. How to put this?
    Prince of Persia. Beautiful fun games. Was my GOTY.
    Prince of Persia Warrior Within. YAAAYY!!! BLOOD!!! Nope GODSMACK SOUNDTRACK!!!
    My lungs collapsed.
    And it's that. Only on a larger scale.
    And Nintendo didn't do that with their franchises. They make more and more spinoffs, but they don't completly do a 180 and have " Baddass Link with Ho Zelda". And that is why the fail.
    I love my Gamecube. If their was a fire and I could only save one TV console, it would be the one I save. And it's getting a FIRE EMBLEM game, which means it will always be better then what the competition has.
    Of course it has nothing on the GBA=greatest system of this generation.

7. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    Nintendo doesn't seem to care about the Gamecube anymore. If Gamecube had online play, it would still be popular.

Oh, and the "Start" button is the little tiny button on the left underneath the "Back" button. There's only 2 buttons on left underneath the directional pad. Not that hard to find. Plus, it's clearly labeled.

8. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    If Gamecube had online play, it would still be popular.

I don't know what the exact percentage is offhand but I do know that only a very small percentage of people use their PS2 or XBox for online play. Personally, I don't know anyone that does.

9. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Every person I know who has an X-Box and Live for it, basically live on it.

You don't know the right people.

10. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    I think not

11. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    I still think not

12. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    Still not going for it

13. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Yes. Good work.

14. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    Back on topic. X-Box Rules.

15. -Nightwolf-

-Nightwolf- Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    PC pwns all other systems!

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd throw my opinion behind online play/XB Live not being that big of a deal- yes certain games it's almost a must-have, but in general, most people i've talked to would still rather have some friends over and play multiplayer in person- it's ten times more fun when you can trash talk your friend sitting right next to you.

Because, for a game like, say, Mario Party (5 being the incarnation of choice in my circles), which isn't quite as entralling in single player nor would it be online, becomes one of the most fun games to play of this generation when you get 4 people together and go nuts.

Not saying online is abad option to have- sometimes you can't get 4 people together to play, just saying it's not a preferred option when given the choice.

17. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    I love my PC system a lot.

18. -Nightwolf-

-Nightwolf- Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    Same here, I don't think I can go more than a day without it.

19. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    PC is the best but feels temperamental when i'm gaming. Doesn't have the raw power of a console.

Gamecube, graphically, can stand up to an X-Box.

20. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    But mentally the X-Box is way better.

21. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    You're very wise Chim. I'd jump on the PC band wagon but my PC is a few years old and ny X-Box is as powerful or more than it.

22. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003

I don't like Nintendo's style of games. And what is so good about Zelda?

23. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    The game.

24. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    " I don't like Nintendo's style of games. And what is so good about Zelda?"

25. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    I guess your right, Zelda sucks, thats why EVERYONE says it was best at E3