main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gamecube Vs Xbox

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Scott3eyez, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    Seeing as the last thread on this topic got closed, and I'm trying to figure out which one gets my £120, I hope the Administration doesn't mind me starting a fresh thread...

Basically, I've got an old PS2, I've got pretty much all the games I want on it, but I want more games.

Gamecube, I can see would be better for Mario and Zelda, and the cartoony/adventure/fantasy kind of games.

On the other hand, Xbox has technical superiority (I understand), as well as KOTOR and Jedi Academy coming up. Also, while the Gamecube used to have the plus point of being significantly cheaper, now I see the two systems at pretty much the same price.

What are the pros and cons of Gamecube and Xbox? Is there anyone who has bought one, and then regretted not buying the other?

2. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    I've never regretted buying an Xbox over the other two consoles.

Pluses for an Xbox over a Gamecube:
    Has the ability to play DVD's (may or may not matter to you)
    Halo
    Online capabilities with Xbox Live or tunnelling software
    Halo 2
    Better graphics (IMO)
    KOTOR
    LAN Parties are possible with the built-in ethernet
    Halo 2 (did I say that already?)

All I can come up with off the top of my head. I'd recommend the Xbox, but go with whatever console meets your specific wants and needs.

3. Master_Y-wing

Master_Y-wing Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    GameCube. You gotta love their exclusives. Who doesn't have a DVD player nowa days anyway?

Master_Y-wing, Nintendo Loyalist.

4. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    Well, this is the thing. Gamecube has a bunch of Mario and Zelda games, which I'm a huge fan of.

Xbox has KotOR and Jedi Academy, neither of which show any sign of coming to the cube or PS2 (as far as I know...)

The internet thing isn't a big deal for me at the moment, as I don't even have a telephone line, let alone broadband access. And I've already got a PS2 and a DVD player, so that's not really a selling point for me either.

It's looking pretty much like the games are what my decision is going to come down to...

Also, my decision is leaning slightly towards Xbox, as I've seen a few shops selling PS2 and Xbox, but not gamecube games/accessories; something that is all too familiar from my N64 days...

5. Mayhem

Mayhem Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Its hard to choose...which is why I have both and have around 15-18 games for each.
    You really have to look at all the games out for both and see which has more that interests you.
    Just based on SW games, if you like the action/RPG like ones..go with X-box. If you prefer more arcade like /action games go with GC.
    Sports games-they're even in my opinion-I have football games for X-box and Baseball for GC.
    Racing games-X-box though F-Zero is simply amazing on GC.

6. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    dont give into microsoft!

get a ps2 or a cube.

7. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    If you like SW games then go for GC, it has one of the best SW games, Rouge Leader and soon it will have the best ever SW game Rebel Strike. Plus you have to try Metroid Prime, I love it, I got it the day it came out and I still haven't completed it, everytime I think I have come close I find out I'm not even half way through it. Plus Zelda and Mario, who needs an Xbox.

8. ToxicNed

ToxicNed Grand Poobah of Madison WI - FF CR star 4

May 2, 2002
    If you have a PC at home, then getting an Xbox for KOTOR and Jedi Academy is a moot point. They're both coming out for the PC.

IMHO, the Cube is a better purchase. It also has online capability (unfortunately only used for one game, Phantasy Star Online)and has a wide selection of games for both single and multi-player enjoyment. Also, the exclusive games for the GC, once again IMHO, are far better than the ones for Xbox. If it's a multi-platform game, odds are it'll also be on the Cube (unless it's GTA).

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, if you have a PC, there really aren't any good Star Wars games exclusive to X-Box; particularly since you already have a PS2- so I'd say, on that front, get a Gamecube, because then you won't miss out on Rogue Leader or Rebel Strike and will have access to better quality versions of Bounty Hunter and Clone Wars than you do on PS2 currently. You also can get Jedi Outcast for GCN, so between a GCN, PS2 and PS2, you'll have access to pretty much everything.

Beyond SW games, IMO, Gamecube blows away X-Box in terms of the number of must-have titles. X-Box's library (again, IMO) is almost entirely consisting of games that would make good rentals, but very very few worth actually buying- with particular exception to Halo and Halo 2 (though even those will be out on PC eventually).

Gamecube has a good library of very solid titles that I highly reccomend: Eternal Darkness, F-Zero GX, Legend of Zelda, Metroid Prime, Super Smash Bros, Super Monkey Ball, etc.

Then you have titles like the Resident Evil remake, RE Zero and the forthcoming RE 4; or the rather interesting looking Viewtiful Joe.

And you still get a healthy amount of titles that are cross-platform like Soul Caliber 2, Splinter Cell or Enter the Matrix.

Then there are other features like Gameboy Player, GBA connectivity and the easy portability of the system that are great strengths as well.

I've not regretted once getting a GCN- heck, my PS2 gathers dust for the most part.

As far as X-Box goes, eh, maybe they'll manage to better next generation. I just can't honestly say an X-Box is worth it at all, despite it being a little more technically advanced than the other systems, unless you've already gotten all the good games for GCN, PS2 and PC and just need something new to hold you over.

10. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Ok PS2 aside I would go for a GameCube over the Xbox. The GameCube has good gameplay. That's the 1st thing I look for any a game. Sure Xbox has nice graphics. But I have played some of it's games before and well I would have to say the Gamecube has better gameplay. ;)

11. Miin_Bodenna

Miin_Bodenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2002
    Like many have said before if you have a computer that can handle Halo, Halo 2 (when it comes out on comp in like 5 years :p) JKIII, and KOTOR, then by all means get the Cube.

However if you're like most of us and don't have a nice comp...get an Xbox.

Or a slightly more expensive way is to rent both consoles with some games you want, whatever one thrills you the most, get it.

12. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    This sort of thread doesn't sit well, because it always deteriorates.

But, until such time as it just becomes another in a long line of CONSOLE WARS threads, I'll leave it running. Hopefully you'll have enough info to assist in your decision by then.

But why don't you just hire / borrow the 2 consoles, try them out and just buy the one that suits your gaming preferences the best?

13. LordRomeinp

LordRomeinp Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 27, 2002
    THis is realy hard to say gamecube is great and xbox is not. Or the other way they are so different.
    + Cube you can get a DVD thing on Ebay
    + the Graphic look cleaner than any
    + classic and good games
    + Rebel Strike
    - Not any halo games
    - GTA 3
    - no DVD and one oline game Phanisty Online
    - small controller and disk

XBOX
    + GReat games Halo
    + Good GRaphic
    + DVD ONLINE
    + better controller
    + Hardrive Memo
    - Not a E system
    - NO Rouge Squardron and GTA 3
    - If your hands are small does not come with a smaller one

SO i said i was the same so i still think Com is better but this is what i got

14. LordRomeinp

LordRomeinp Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 27, 2002
    Who KoTOr

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    ^
    |
    You. I told you to spend some time posting in Welcome New Users before posting here again. You have not done so.

Your posts are impossible to comprehend (well, that one 2 above isn't so bad), and if you don't change your ways immediately (by going to Welcome New Users and learning about the way to behave / post here), you'll soon find yourself not being able to participate at all.

16. Miin_Bodenna

Miin_Bodenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2002
    Just to clarify up Xbox is getting GTA 3 and VC...i don't recall if GC is getting it...might be wrong though.

17. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I once had to decide between the three consoles several months ago. I decided to go with the GC as the only consoles I've ever known have been Nintendo...and I wanted to play Zelda.

I don't regret getting a GC over a PS2, but I sometimes wish I could play an Xbox. Though I have two DVD players in my house (plus my computer), I don't have any upstairs and the one on my computer isn't so great.

I'd like to get an Xbox now if I could afford it. But I do think Nintendo's exclusives are better than the other guys' exclusives.

I would think that it depends on how heavy of a gamer you are. I don't have much time to spend on games, which is why it's better for me to just focus on the exclusives. However, if you're a heavy gamer and will be spending lots of time playing, I would recommend the Xbox over the GC. Gaming stores, as you've already found out, seem to carry more PS2 and Xbox items than they do Nintendo items. You can have a larger game library and can waste hour after hour playing game after game.

Nintendo's library still isn't that great, but they're promising to make better third-party negotations for when their new console comes out. However, if you are a serious Nintendo fan, then maybe the GC should be your choice. I loved Zelda, and there's said to be another Zelda game coming out for the GC next year.

18. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    Well here are the pros and cons for both.

X-Box (pros)
    1. Has a built in hardrive
    2. you can store music on that hardrive
    3. has more graphical capabilities
    4. Halo (nuff said)
    5. DVD player
    6. good online play strategy
    7. LAN capabilities

Cons,

1. Is beastly huge and weighs a ton
    2. doesn't have that many good games (except for Halo, KOTOR, and JK III)
    3. is more expensive
    4. has a fat controller (you can get the S though)
    5. Doesn't have the classic games

Gamecube (pros)

1. Has all the classic titles (Zelda, Mario etc... also the Resident Evil series)
    2. Shigeru Miyamoto (the god of game developers, hence Mario, Zelda Pikmin etc..)
    3. is easy to transport to other places
    4. Smaller discs (for the people who like small discs....?)
    5. Cheaper price

(Cons)

1. Has no online plan really
    2. doesn't support LAN
    3. no DVD, CD, or anything except for games (which I think is in a way a good thing)
    4. Lost Rare to Microsoft
    5. no Hardrive

Well thats really all that I can think of as of now...I would say in the end it looks as if X Box wins the battle. But for me I will always be a Loyal Nintendo fan...so I like Gamecube better. It really comes down to Gamecube=better games, X-Box=better hardware

Forcebewitya!

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>It really comes down to Gamecube=better games, X-Box=better hardware <<

Wow, I think that's perhaps the best description of the situation I've seen- kudos.

20. Fettster

Fettster Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 7, 2003
    I personally went with a Cube. Almost all the features that people claim are so good about the Box (online play, DVD play, Halo, etc.), I get either with my PS2 or my PC. (Or both, in the case of DVD play.) The only thing I wish the other two consoles had was a hard drive, and even then, I can usually cope right after payday.

Plus the Cube has Zelda, which is worth the purchase right there. :p Actually, a lot of the exclusives for the Cube are the games I want most--Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Rogue Squadron, that sort of thing. And the Cube exclusives really aren't up to scratch (Obi-Wan), or just plain uninteresting to me (Halo, probably only because I'm not a huge fan of FPS--actually, the only ones I really like are the DF/JK series). And a lot of the good games are cross-platform, if I get desperate (Splinter Cell, that sort of thing).

The perfect gaming combo: PS2, Cube, PC. IMHO, of course. Now I just need to get a GBA for FF:CC...

21. portman_is_so_fine

portman_is_so_fine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I have both Xbox and Gamecube. I love my Xbox, its on deck. But my Gamecube just sits there and collects dust. I mainly just got the Gamecube for Rogue Leader, which wasn't all I thought it would be. I love my Xbox games. But anyway, its just my personal preference.

22. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Hey Forcebewitya
    wat you mean Cube doesn't support LAN? Mario Kart Double Dash is up to 8 players and I'm pretty sure it comes with the adaptor

23. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    I got a PS2, X-Box, and GameCube. THe Game Cube was the last one I got. If you are a real hard core gamer, of course you are going to get all three.

I will say that despite the 'name's that Game Cube has in it's library, I still just don't think it's library matches up to the X-Box. X-box has mroe games that I just happen to like more then my Gamecube, where all I really have is RE0 and 1, Wind Waker and the Ocarina bonus disc, and something else. My library for my X-box games rivals that of my PS2, and just for me personally, I would go with X-Box over GameCube if I could only have one.

24. Fettster

Fettster Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 7, 2003
    It's really a matter of taste, I guess. The games you want determine the console you get. In my case, I wanted the "name" games, rather than whatever the Box gets (none of which has caught my attention enough to make me think, "Hmm...I'd like to try that," either because it just doesn't look entertaining or it's available (or soon will be) for something I already have.

25. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    would it make a difference if i told you that you can fit a gcn disc in your mouth?

the main things i like about my gcn are portability (a big issue vs the xbox expecially) and the controller (although at least xbox seem willing to experiment)

the games are also pretty good, but as others have said it really depends on what type of games you like

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.