main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gamecube Vs Xbox

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Scott3eyez, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    Well, lets not kid ourselves here. A lot of the biggest Anti-Xbox people out there are 100% pro GameCube, for whatever reasons we want to put in on it. I had the major argument the other day with a friend of mine, who is a total GameCube junkie and a total X-Box basher, when he insisted that X-Box had no games aside from Halo, but when you look at sales of games, especially third party games, X-Box is creaming Game Cube, albeit not as much as PS2 is creaming both of them.

I don't know whether it is the whole 'US vs Japan' thing or the 'We don't want to see Bill Gates suceed' thing, I guess everyone has their reasons. Untill I hear this GameCube Junkies/X-box bashers start to go after PS2, though, it is pretty transparent where they are coming from.

2. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    Thanks for all the helpful responses!

I'm still kind of torn between the two though.
    KotOR and Jedi Academy are the two biggest selling points for the Xbox for me, but on the other hand, I'm hoping to get a new PC sometime soonish- but that depends on circumstances beyond my control, and I'm not very patient when it comes to this kind of thing...

jp-30
    >>>But, until such time as it just becomes another in a long line of CONSOLE WARS threads, I'll leave it running. Hopefully you'll have enough info to assist in your decision by then.

Thanks- much appreciated.
    :)

>>>But why don't you just hire / borrow the 2 consoles, try them out and just buy the one that suits your gaming preferences the best?

Because I don't know anyone with an Xbox, and I don't know where you can hire consoles in the UK (Blockbuster stopped doing that not long after the PS2 came out. :(

>>>would it make a difference if i told you that you can fit a gcn disc in your mouth?

SOLD!
    :D

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Untill I hear this GameCube Junkies/X-box bashers start to go after PS2, though, it is pretty transparent where they are coming from<<

But if the person feels the PS2 doesn't lack in quality games, as they claim for the X-Box, why would they "go after it"?

Anyways, Scott, if I were you, I'd be patient and see if you'll be getting that PC first. KOTOR and Jedi Academy don't come out for PC for a couple months still I believe, so you have time.

If you do get it, then get a Cube, and you'll have access to more quality games in addition to the ones you're initially interested in; if you aren't able to get the PC, then you might want to consider the X-Box since it'll get you acess to those titles you're initially interested in that you'd miss out on if you got a cube and didn't have a PC capable of playing their PC versions.

4. TripleB

Oct 28, 2000
    But if the person feels the PS2 doesn't lack in quality games, as they claim for the X-Box, why would they "go after it"?

I just don't think the argument stands up. Without trying to be judgemental or race grouping here, most of my friends are asian and are very anti-xbox, in my opinion, because it is an american system. And I am sure there are always those who hate the success achieved by Bill Gates and don't want to see this become another part of it.

I just think overall, that the GameCube is an inferior system to the X-Box technologically and as far as the games go.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    X-Box is a great system, no doubt about it. However, I would definitely choose Gamecube over it.

Great X-Box exclusives(not including PC): Halo, KOTOR

Great Gamecube exclusives: Zelda, Mario, Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime, Rogue Leader(though I know many people disagree), Super Smash Bros. Melee

Advantages of owning X-Box: Many online titles to choose from, hard drive to store game saves/downloaded content/etc.

Advantages of owning Gamecube: Easy to store/carry, Wavebird, Nintendo exclusives

6. TripleB

Oct 28, 2000
    X-Box blows GameCube out of the water in Third Party support. Robotech, Dragons Lair, Panzer Dragoon Orta, John Madden, and more blow Nintendo away. And while you listed some games there, Zelda was the only real blow you away game in that bunch, and is not as good as Halo.

7. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Xbox has better hardware, no doubt.

But, the GC and XBOX are both prime machines and you know what, the graphical capabilities of both machines are so close, you can't really tell.

But there are a few things in the graphics department that GC can do better than Xbox.

I have both systems by the way.

I've seen games on GC that blow any game on XBOX in visuals.

Both are great systems. Can't go wrong, no matter the choice.

8. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    yeah, i havn't seen anything that would convince me that the xbox had graphics that were substantially better than the GCN........now if we are talking ps2 then yes, xbox and gcn are substantially better graphics wise IMO..........

most of my asian buddies hate the japanese more than they do americans (if at all), the reason they buy ps2 over the other two is pirated games....

9. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Robotech, Dragons Lair
    These were both for Gamecube also.

10. TIE1138

TIE1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    "X-Box blows GameCube out of the water in Third Party support. Robotech, Dragons Lair, Panzer Dragoon Orta, John Madden, and more blow Nintendo away. And while you listed some games there, Zelda was the only real blow you away game in that bunch, and is not as good as Halo."

"Robotech, Dragons Lair
    These were both for Gamecube also."

So is "John Madden" (Madden 02-04).

11. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    The thing to watch out for is that some developer's aren't doing Gamecube versions of their games anymore. The ESPN 2K titles into the future will only be available on the Xbox and PS2. I'm not sure how many other developer's might follow suit, but it would worry me as a Cube owner.

12. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    Zelda was the only real blow you away game in that bunch, and is not as good as Halo.

You can't compare those two games because you can't compare Shooter vs. RPG.

13. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    would it make a difference if i told you that you can fit a gcn disc in your mouth? Have you tried doing that? I want too but I don't want break the game. Anyway I have a GC, If you just want a console for the joy of playing some of the best games out there, then get a GC. If you want a console for all the extras like playing DVDs and all the other bonus things that an Xbox can do, then get a Xbox. I like GC best, but thats just that have one. Alot of people who own GC's do just bash the Xbox, and they are just stupid, my friend owns a Xbox and I play Halo on it all the time and I love playing it, if Halo did one day came to GC don't think twice and get a GC. I love the days of the NES, there wasn't any console bashers, everyone had the same thing, then Sega got involved.

14. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003
    I have a gamecube and I might soon get an xbox. Gamecube is great, mainly because of Metroid Prime, Rogue Leader, and soon, Rebel Strike. The only reason why I might hesitate to get an xbox is I will only want 5-7 games for it and some of them are multiplatform.

15. LordRomeinp

LordRomeinp Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 27, 2002
    Console war has realy begun since ! Since from what i hear Xbox 2 is not going to be released in 2007 and Ps2 in 2006 !! But Gamecube 2 is not till 2004 and it needs that date since Gamcube [i say cube] has year left and nower days shows to be alot

16. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    Utterly incomprehensible.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    From what I can make out of that, you seem to have wrong release dates- all three news systems won't be hitting till 2005.

18. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    Xbox has KotOR and Jedi Academy, neither of which show any sign of coming to the cube or PS2 (as far as I know...)

But both of those are coming out for computer...basicaly the best combo is Gamecube + Computer since you can get practicaly all of the good games for xbox and ps2 on the comp

19. Evil-Yoda

Evil-Yoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2003
    If you like SW games then go for GC, it has one of the best SW games, Rouge Leader and soon it will have the best ever SW game Rebel Strike.

But what console has the Best SWs Library??

Xbox.

BTW, Xbox out beats both GC and PS2... Hardware wise. Think about it.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> But what console has the Best SWs Library??<<

Technically, the PS2 since it's backwards compatible, but as far as this-generation games go, let's make a rundown of the SW games only available for that platform...

GCN:
    Rogue Leader
    Rebel Strike

XB:
    Obi-Wan

PS2:
    Racer Revenge

Everything else is or will be available for another console or PC.

Thus far, GCN has two great must-have exclusives, XB has a generally disliked exclusive and PS2 has a good, though not must-have, exclusive.

Now if you want, you can compar the cross-platform titles, GCN has the highest quality edition of Bounty Hunter, while X-Box gets the highest quality editions of Clone Wars and Jedi Starfighter.

So, that leaves GCN with 2 high quality exclusives + 1 high quality cross platform title; meanwhile XB gets 0 high quality exclusives + one stinker exclusive + two high quality cross platform titles.

When one factors in what games you can or will be able to play on your PC, you really do get the best selection of titles from having a PC and GCN...especially if CW ever goes to PC, which would continue to widdle away at X-Box's limited selection of quality titles.

>>BTW, Xbox out beats both GC and PS2... Hardware wise. Think about it.<<

Better hardware doesn't make it a better system, it's all about the games. GCN tends to have more higher quality, must-haves than XB, IMO.

21. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    "Hey Forcebewitya
    wat you mean Cube doesn't support LAN? Mario Kart Double Dash is up to 8 players and I'm pretty sure it comes with the adaptor "

ah how could I forget! sorry it alluded my mind when I was posting that. However it still isn't out yet, and X-Box does support MORE games with LAN. Hopefully in the future Gamecube will follow the same path. Melee LAN *dreams of the possibilities*.

Anyway I agree with the " you cant compare Halo and Zelda" statement. They are both Fantastic games however completely opposite genres. I like Zelda more, but thats just a personal preference.

Forcebewitya!

22. Miin_Bodenna

Miin_Bodenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2002
    Well, this has pertty much turned into another Console wars...

23. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Not really. No sytems or their owners are being flamed / slagged (yet).

24. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I got a Gamecube as soon as it came out and I've never regretted it. There are just too many GC exclusives that I absolutly LOVE (Zelda, Mario, etc.) and basically nothing that is XB exclusive that would even make me consider wanting one. I have a PC and everything that's even remotly decent comes out for XB also comes out on PC nowadays.

25. Iconic

Iconic Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 25, 2003
    The gamecube has decent games when it does release them and the xbox also has decent games, but releases new games more often.

Gamecube seems to be a failing system with publishers and developers pulling their support so it would be safer to buy an xbox and wait for nintendo's next console to come out. It should be backwards compatible, so you can play the gamecube games on it that you always wanted to play. Until then, get an xbox.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.