main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gamer #6, Canon and Theforce.net

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Genghis12, Aug 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Alright, we all know what prompted this...
      According to Lucas Licensing Editor Sue Rostoni, "Canon refers to an authoritative list of books that the Lucas Licensing editors consider an authentic part of the official Star Wars history. Our goal is to present a continuous and unified history of the Star Wars galaxy, insofar as that history does not conflict with, or undermine the meaning of Mr. Lucas's Star Wars saga of films and screenplays." Things that Lucas Licensing does not consider official parts of the continuous Star Wars history show an Infinities logo or are contained in Star Wars Tales. Everything else is considered canon.

Now, this question goes to our fearless Admins of our now incorrectly named "Expanded Universe" forums - Darth Ludicrous and the Gatherer and of course anyone else that wants to chime in.

The fact of the matter is that currently, Theforce.net is now in error. The Expanded Universe has essentially ceased to exist - it is an outdated, meaningless and incorrect classification not used anymore by Lucasfilm.

As the premier Star Wars fan site, I don't see how TF.N can in good faith continue to propogate this error through its forum structure. They should be encouraging the education of Star Wars fans through the use of proper information.

However, I do see a valid reason to have separate movie forums - these are not in error. What is in error are the "Expanded Universe" forums - games, games: ccg, games: rpg, literature, community and collecting are no longer "Expanded Universe" - they should be "Canon" forums.

I suppose the most correct thing to do is have a Canon umbrella forum which branch out from there. I also note that this issue could also be a can of worms best left unopened. I figure there's about a snowflake's chance in hell to mobilize the TF.N to completely overhaul it's forum structure, especially since LFL's policy has been rather dynamic in the past year.

But, I did think it was important to begin raising the issue of TF.N's structure.

So, will we be stuck with the Expanded Universe forums even though there is no such thing as Expanded Universe products? Technically, aren't we all off-topic by talking about Canon items in an Expanded Universe forum? Is it acceptable to bring up the radio dramatization in the movie forums, yet get blocked because you brought up Heir to the Empire?

I don't necessarily know the right answer to any of that, but I'm not the one who needs to.

2. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I think it's reasonable to leave things as they are. Even the official site is divided into movies and EU sections, after all.

TC

3. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I think everything is fine as it is. I just accept the term "Expanded Universe" as being "off-screen". Other corners and other tales of the SW universe aside from Episodes I-VI.

But we do need to hit the canonists whenever we find the chance, with this lovely gleaming Death Star of a quote.

4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Agreed. I think that there still needs to be a distinction between movies & "not-movies," just like the Official Site has done.

Movies = Movies
    Everything Else = Expanded Universe
    Non-Continuity = Infinities

Movies + EU = Canon

5. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    You'll notice in the Official databanks, that ewok movies, and cartoons, are not listed the expanded universe section but the behind the scenes of the movies section, :D.

Which means they are more than just expanded universe.

6. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    The current structure is fine with me. I honestly don't care about the whole canon issue.

7. TT2000

TT2000 Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2000
    Anyone else ever imagine a scene like this?

INT.-- LUCAS LICENSING CONFERENCE ROOM
    A meeting is in progress.

SUE ROSTONI The canon debates have been really boring lately. We need to spice things up, so here?s the plan. We?re going to tweak the defintion of EU material?

STEVE SANSWEET Again?

SUE ROSTONI (defensive) Yes, again. Shut up and play with your action figures, Sansweet.
    (a pause as she composes herself)
    Now then, here?s what I?m thinking: somewhere in the back of the next Gamer, we bury an article about Infinities, and we casually let slip that the EU is officially considered to be canon. That should get everyone?s panties in a wad.

BEN HARPER That?s a great idea! Hey, you know what would be really cool? We could say that the Marvel Comics are officially considered to be canon too!

ALLAN KAUSCH Enough with the Marvel Comics crap, Harper! You?re starting to sound like Genghis12.

DAVE LAND You know, all this talk about cannons gives me an idea. In the next Tales, we could have a cartoon where Ewoks are getting shot out of cannons. You and I could be in it too, Allan. Whadda ya think?
    (pause)
    Why?s everybody looking at me like that?

8. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    allan kausch is gone by the way, for a while now.

ben harper took his job, I think.

beyond that, LOL.

9. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    :D Good stuff. LOL!

10. TT2000

TT2000 Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2000
    Ooops, didn't know about Kausch leaving. I guess my previous post will have to be considered Infinities.

11. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Jan 10, 2000
    Kausch is an editor at Del Rey now.

12. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Gee, that's got to be the reason why the New Jedi Order is so accurate in terms of continuity, characterization (especially in terms of Kyp, right GAW?), and the Star Wars feel since they have the man who got this entire EU-Canon ball rolling for LFL over there many years ago. :D

13. LanceJade

LanceJade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL!!! I would love to see that conversation at Lucas... that would be funnier than Infinities! (er... whatever) As for the Expanded Universe, it has ceased to exist at we know it.

The EU will probably continue to be used when describing non-movie items, but otherwise is fairly obsolete.

14. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Jan 10, 2000
    The NJO will have that Star Wars feel when I spontaneously grow a third foot.

15. LanceJade

Mar 26, 2001
    GAW - But I thought that was your third leg!?! ;)

16. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Jan 10, 2000
    No, no, no my third leg is a birth defect, unfortunately it has no foot. The doctors speculate that this third foot may grow one day and protrude out of my back.

And for those of you who may be thinking that I am some sort of mutant, I am only kidding. I have tw olegs, two arms, a torso and a head just like the rest of you. Unless any of you happen to be mutants.

In that case, I hope you will not take my third appendage comment with scorn.

heh heh heh

17. Jarik

Jarik Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2000
    Good stuff. Funny.

18. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    I would rather not try and picture what defects your "third leg" may have, GAW. :D Although, I think it's normal for your third leg to not have a foot growing off of it. You should have covered that in your high school health classes.

19. LanceJade

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh boy.... :D

20. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    my third leg has a head on it!!

heh

21. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Jan 10, 2000
    What have I started? :)

That leg, if you will, is just fine.

I have a feling this thread may become a classic.

22. LanceJade

Mar 26, 2001
    Ya cant claim its a classic until it gains cult status... hmmmm....

But its good to know that your properly placed legs work. My life is more complete. Now, back to the task at hand.

23. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    I'm not touching that.

D'oh!

24. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    GAW...
    "I have a feling this thread may become a classic."

Don't get too... cocky.

25. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Jan 10, 2000
    Respect my authority or I'll chop that tree of yours down.

I am just laughing so hard right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.