main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gamer #6, Infinities, and Canon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TT2000, Aug 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TT2000

TT2000 Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2000
    I haven't seen this discussed yet, so I thought I would throw it out there (otherwise known as "shoveling fuel on the fire" -- my apologies to all who are sick to death of the Infinities/canon debates).

I got Gamer 6 today, and it had a short piece at the back called "Understanding Infinities". Quoted directly:

According to Lucas Licensing Editor Sue Rostoni, "Canon refers to an authoritative list of books that the Lucas Licensing editors consider an authentic part of the official Star Wars history. Our goal is to present a continuous and unified history of the Star Wars galaxy, insofar as that history does not conflict with, or undermine the meaning of Mr. Lucas's Star Wars saga of films and screenplays." Things that Lucas Licensing does not consider official parts of the continuous Star Wars history show an Infinities logo or are contained in Star Wars Tales. Everything else is considered canon.
    I will leave it to greater minds than mine to parse the meaning of the above statement.

2. III_Vir_RPC

III_Vir_RPC Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2001
    Basically, this indicates that the EU is official, and binding, but that the films and the other primary resources (novelisations, screenplays, radio dramatisations) enjoy a superior status.

This preserves exactly the same continuity policy presented by Star Wars Encyclopedia and Star Wars Insider #23.

The continuity policy has not at all changed. Only the wording of it.

3. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Gamer 6 is out now?

4. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    III_Vir...
    "The continuity policy has not at all changed. Only the wording of it."

Correction. The intent of the continuity policy has not at all changed. However, the continuity policy has completely changed, especially the wording.

Before, the movies (and certain movie-related-products) were deemed to have special status above all - they were Canon. Nothing else was Canon besides those items. In addition, there existed a rigid Heirarchy of Canon which decreed how specific details in contradiction with one another should be handled. Of course, items which were not Canon existed below those, but were still official Star Wars stories. In time, the collective total of these items came to be known as the Star Wars Expanded Universe (or EU for short). They had their own continuity seperate from the Canon items and built, twisted and retold details seen in the Canon items. In time, another classification emerged - Infinities. Infinities while still being official Star Wars stories, took place in an entirely alternate universe apart from either the Canon universe or the Expanded Universe.

Now, we are back down to two classifications without any heirarchy. Everything is Canon unless it is Infinities. Nothing Canon can contradict the movies and screenplays. That is the sum total of LFL's new policy.

In form and function, it is very different from what was given before once you get away from the movies and screenplays as being the sole 100% correct facts of Star Wars.

Or, to sum up simply their new policy, LFL just had their own "Crises of Infinite Earths"...
    The Expanded Universe has ceased to exist.

5. LanceJade

LanceJade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    :D

Its about damn time.

6. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Hmm, I wonder if I will get it today! This is the first issue I am supposed to recieve with my suscription.

7. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Bah!!! Gamer 6 is shiping? TOS and WotC ussually put up info about it before it ships...

And I'll probably get it like 65 weeks late.

8. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I know. This is weird. I saw no teasers on the official sites, and SWRPGNetwork didn't have any news up on it. I already saw this thread, and another reference to it at the Star Wars Galaxies boards. Dang.

Rebecca - when did you subscribe? I hope you do get it. I subscribed online for the Insider about 10 days before an issue was to ship and never got it. I ended up paying the whopping $ 6.99 at B&N, and then my dad found the same issue for $ 1 at a thrift store...::sighs::

9. TT2000

TT2000 Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2000
    I was surprised I got #6 so soon too. Sturm, I used the online subscription form too, and, like you, never received the first issue. I ended up using one of those annoying subscription cards that always fall out when you open the magazine.

All of my previous issues were realllly late -- arriving just a week or so before the newstand edition. Not sure why this one was different, but I do know that the subscription department finally got around to processing my payment after #5 arrived. Maybe that bumped me up on the mailing list.

10. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    I suscribed online around the time #5 was shipping. After I suscribed, it said #6 would be the first issue I recieved and that it would ship in August.

11. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    I got the first issue way back in November. I had thought it was going to come out in December. So, I was surprised... but delighted. But I got Gamer 5 shipped to me about the same time it apeared on newstands! Grr.

Anyway, I look forward to the article. Can you tell us anymore about the issue? What fiction? What other articles? Is it about Tales? Tales of the Jedi? Tales of/from books? Or all three of them?

12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Interesting. This implies that EU is canon now. Oh dear. The "canonist" sect of the EU-bashers is going to go monkey poop about this...

13. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Yes. I dropped this proton bomb into the "Madalorians--Bllleeccch" thread in PSA, but last I saw, everyone was remaining silent.

It is hard to admit defeat.

14. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    Anyway...what articles and stories does it talk about? I'm darn interested.

15. TT2000

TT2000 Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2000
    Wedge 88 -- The issue focuses on bounty hunters and other shady characters. There's just one piece of fiction, but it was a pleasant surprise -- a story called "Rebel Bass" by none other than Kathy Tyers. It was a fun read, and Kathy was up to her old tricks, using music as the backdrop for a SW story.

Other stuff: an RPG article with stats for Dengar, Zuckuss, and 4-LOM, and another focusing on new (?) characters with bounties on their heads; a Battle of Hoth game; plans for building a Death Star model; and an article with stats and background info on characters from Underworld and SW Tales. No Infinities label on that article, for some reason . . .

Frankly, I skimmed most of the issue. I get it for the fiction, and have little to no interest in the RPG stuff. (The Playboy defense -- I only get it for the articles, I swear!)

16. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    JM...
    "Interesting. This implies that EU is canon now."

?!? Imply? Imply? Shoot, JM, there's no implication about it. They explicitly stated the EU is Canon now. :D

17. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Sometimes I feel like we're all Hutts in a criminal empire, looking for loopholes in LFL's system of what's canon or not.

18. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Thanks. So, thats what the Tales thing was. Nice.

19. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    Oh, jee whiz, like this isn't what I have been repeating to deaf ears for more than a year now?

20. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    I guess we are deaf.

I don't remember that at all.

21. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    Not even a Jedi can find a loophole in a Hutt contract...

What were the titles of the stories and articles? Can anyone give a quick summary of them?

22. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    The story is called Rebel Bass and is about Rebel-sympathizing musicians. I liked it a lot.

The RPG articles:
    ~How the Other Half Hunts: it's about Dengar, Zuckuss and 4-LOM
    ~Bounties to Die For: bounty listings from the Imperial Enforcement DataCore
    ~Combat Tactics for Survival
    ~Usual Suspects: about Dark Horse Comics memorable characters
    ~University of Sanbra Guide to Intelligent Life: The Nikto
    ~Special Ops: The Freelancer

RPG Adventures:
    ~Welcome to the Jungle

Deck Plans:
    ~The Shaft-Swoop Dreams: your own swoop gang deck
    ~Building the Death Star II

Special Features:
    ~The Battle of Hoth
    ~Model Citizen: The Death Star: make a model out of stuff you have at home, includes floorplans

There are also more stickers, from Corellia, Coruscant and Iridonia.

Hope that gives you all something to look forward to :)

23. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Very much, yes.

24. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    Especially the article on the Nikto.

25. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    But now we at last have confirmation of it, DL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.