main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gamers: how do you conciliate your gamer life with your love life?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Mara, Jul 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mara

Mara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 1999
    I'm posting this here, since it didn't seem like a question I should make anywhere else on the boards. :)

I'm curious about it: how do you conciliate your gamer life with your love life? (and no, gamers with a romantic life aren't a myth :p)

I mean, we all know games take their time to be finished and that MMORPGs can take a lot of our spare time, so I'm asking all the gamers here who are in a romantic relationship *how* do they manage to both continue being a gamer and having a love life. I'm especially interested in the answers of those of you who are in succesfull long-term relationships. :)

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Well, I'm single atm, but I didn't have that problem with my last girlfriend. I mean, she spent more daily hours playing Kingdom Hearts than I've ever spent with any game, so I think she understood my "let's-beat-Half-Life-again-just-for-the-sake-of-it" needs.

3. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    Well, for me, when my girlfriend comes over, the powere goes off on my game console. To me, she's more important than gaming. I can always game when's she's not around.

4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I used to have this problem until I started dating my Xbox. Now I kill two birds with one stone.

5. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    While she forums, I game.
    While I forum, she pleads with me to play Silent Hill with her.
    We play Silent Hill.

A wee bit later that night, I decided to load up Morrowind, randomly.
    'What's that?' She said.
    'An RPG.' I replied.
    The next day she had a Dark Elf on Level 4 and was explaining to me how the Guilds work.
    Urgh, I suck.

She'll probably be getting Baldurs Gate 2 (And Forbidden Siren too, seeing as you can't help but love those psych-horror games) for her Birthday, seeing as she thinks Final Fantasy games are all there is to RPG-ing (despite the fact that we both plan on getting XI when it finally comes out over in the UK :p ).

6. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    What love life?

7. Eva_Pilot04

Eva_Pilot04 Jedi Knight star 7

Nov 15, 2001
    ^^^ Same question. What the hell is a love life? Is it a Neverwinter power up? :confused:

»Who dares wins«

8. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Knights of the Old Republic got me a girl-friend.

I know, Star Wars and games getting someone a girl-friend sound like a geeks wet dream, but truth.

9. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    My girlfriend hates the internet, and video games.

I'm not entirely sure why we're dating.

10. Dante_Glass

Dante_Glass Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    i handle her the same way i used to handle my mom.

"I'll be there in a minute just let me beat this level!"

11. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Then three hours later.

" Did you want me?"

" That was hours ago!"

"Err, it was a long level."

12. DarthLuxor

DarthLuxor Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    I got my wife hooked on them so now I don't get to play nearly as much.

13. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    My fiancée is very sympathetic to my enjoyment of gaming. Actually, she loes games herself. As kids, while I had a Commodore 64 and an early Intel 486 PC, she had a Nintendo and a Game Gear. She still enjoys games; over Christmas Break we went down to her sister's house to visit for a couple of days and spent quite a bit of time playing SSX 3 on her sister's husband's PS2. Actually one day she mentioned that she'd like to have a PS2, but then told me not to get her one because she's afraid she'd play it too much. We have to be pretty money-conscious right now, but if a really cheap one ever floats by, I may pick it up for her.

Anyway, I mostly play games when we can't be together. We go to school about thirteen hours apart, so I don't see her very much during the school year, and I tend to play a lot of games in the evening. (Last school year, I finished Jedi Academy and KotOR, almost finished Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, and, during second semester, played a lot of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.) At home I get to play considerably less, mostly in the evenings after work. I don't play when my fiancée's around (I have a friend who's always playing games when his girlfriend's over, and it drives her crazy) - simple enough. But I'm still abble to find enough time to game to my satisfaction. I even played Galaxies for a few months while she and I were dating, though I eventually drop[ed my subscription because it got boring.

I actually think my fiancée and I would have fun playing games together, but neither of us owns a system at the moment, and her computer's not good enough to handle any online games I can think of except Yahoo! Pool and Solitaire Showdown, which we play often during school.

Really, gaming and romance don't come into conflict thath often. Just go out when she wants to (don't be reclusive) and don't play (too much) when she's around -- offer her the chance to play as well if you do -- and you should be fine.

-Paul

14. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003

I hate you. Jesus tap dancing Christ, I hate you. :p

15. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Well, for me, when my girlfriend comes over, the power goes off on my game console.

That's my way, too..

Actually, i've done my best, thus far to keep it hidden from my gf just how hardcore a gamer i am...

I mean, she knows i play videogames (what male doesn't?) but she made it clear early on that she had absolutely no interest in'em...(save for Tetris and Dr. Mario. Dr. Mario seems to be the one game that every chick loves)

I'm breaking her in slowly...

16. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Commodore 64! And how awesome we thought that was back then . . .

For those femaleless, they had to contend with Chung-Li and her spinning bird kick. That was a lot of innuendo . . . ;)

17. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Mai had Chun Li's Spinning trick beat...

18. Mayhem

Mayhem Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Easy for me.....I have two positive things.
    1. My wife goes to sleep earlier then me, since she gets up for work a few hours earlier. I play after she goes to sleep.
    2. My wife gets into games too. She was just as addicted as me to KOTOR, where I had to wait to play when she was. And she's big time into the Simpsons games on our X-box and GC.

See..its good to be with someone thats as much of a geek as me. :D

19. Count_Cuckoo

Count_Cuckoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2001
    Quite simple

It helps having someone who plays games as well, that way they know how addictive they can be and its always great having BRAGGING rights when you own them at games. :D

Can cause a few arguments too though, over who uses the machine if you have a single player game. Had many an argument during multiplayer games, it can cause a divorce be warned. :)

20. Mayhem

Mayhem Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    I agree there....my wife tends to own me in Jedi Outcast. I've done plenty of pouting then...lol.
    I actually don't mind the waiting to play..it lets me watch the game more and see things I normally miss while playing.

21. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I used to have this problem until I started dating my Xbox. Now I kill two birds with one stone.

=D=

Are you referring to Bastila? If so... :oops:

22. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    I basically gave up gaming. I played once or twice and she seems half pie interested (mmmm pie) in watching. But the other half in your life is uncomparible to a computer game.

23. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I used to have this problem. Then I got a girlfriend who is an admin at a message board and is obsessed with KOTOR, so I'd say we're fairly well suited to each other.

24. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    " Are you referring to Bastila? If so... "

Who told you?!!!

Actully it went down the geekiest way possible.

I was in class, probably reading a Star Wars book, when I hear in front of me a girl talking about her person in KOTOR. I start listening in, because the only other person who I knew played Star Wars games(and read the books) was a guy who dressed and looked like Puffy. And he had graduated a year before.

So I'm listening to her talk about Jedi Councils, and lightsabers, and using force heal, and I start thinking, " If she mentions anything EU, thats it. I'm going to ask for her hand in marrige." Then she says
    " Then I had to go the Wookie planet..."
    Me. " Kashyyyk, Kashyyyk."
    " Oh yeah, Kashyyyk."
    I get up walk over to her and say " Will you marry me?"
    And it went from there.

25. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    *Kashyyyk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.