main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gamer's Social Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Magellan_the_Cat, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    'Cause darn it, we deserve one too.
    So post any social comments within the usual rules of TOS, and (un)common decency.

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Excellent idea, Magellan. :D

3. Jedi_Rhysode

Jedi_Rhysode Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 15, 2004
    Chocolate milk has been outlawed at my gaming sessions. It's dangerous.

That probably makes no sense, but its true. I couldn't think of anything else to say.

4. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    Thanks. I just struck me as silly not to have one here.

Actually, I can think of a number of reasons for outlawing chocolate milk, at game sessions or no. In fact, milk at a gaming table strikes me as very dangerous. If it spills... The smell almost never gets out of those books.

Still wanting to find gamers in the area for SW. Current game group is fixated on D&D3.5. While I don't object to the game, I'll never run D&D again (too much prep time--WEG d6 spoiled me). Actually, I just got a nice chuck of $ for my gaming books on eBay. Shipping was a lot more than I figured, but what the heck. Still got more than I expected to out of it. And I cleared off 3 shelves for other use.

5. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    Well, I've completed most of my chores for the day. Now I get to spend time with my kitties.

Saw Weird Al concert a couple weeks ago. Great fun, except the security goons confiscated one of my glowing spatulas. Takes 3 goons to approach a guy with a foam-core spatula. Will be starting the Spatula Liberation Front to protest this injustice. Website and official letter of complaint to come. May even be able to get it linked from the official Weird Al site. :) Goons didn't even know what it was in reference to. They need to start hiring from the deeper side of the gene pool.

6. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    He guys what's up. Magellan, you said your group is fixated on dnd3.5, how do you feel about the game? I've been toying with the idea of trying to get into that a bit.

7. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    it's fine as a game to play in, but I'll never want to run it.
    Yes, they cleaned up a whole bunch of problems that have been inherrently wrong with the system since it was first made, but it also took out a whole bunch of stuff I liked.

If you've never played D&D, it's great.
    If you've only played a few times, it'll be confusing for a while.
    If you've played it a lot and know what the old rules were, it's going to take a while to adjust.

And why bother? 4.0 is just a year or so away.
    These editions and changes aren't necessarily governed by the need of the game so much as they are the need of the publisher to sell books.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I've been DMing an ongoing D&D campaign for the last two years (and we're about to finish it!) and I didn't want to switch rules mid-campaign, but for what I've seen some 3.5 stuff is pretty tight. We might end using some of it.

9. NJOfan215

May 17, 2003
    4.0 is really coming out that soon? Wow

10. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    I was exagerating a bit. It may be 3-4 years, but they're going to update them every few years, whether the system/rules require updating or not.

Switching from 3.0 to 3.5 in mid-campaign isn't that hard. Just switch & update the characters between adventures. It's pretty easy.

11. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    I've found that switching from 3.0 to 3.5 wasn't really hard depending on the character. I've noticed that 3.5 runs slightly smoother than 3.0 but that should be a given with an improved system.

Now I've run D20 StarWars and I would have to agree with one of the above posts that it is so much more work than D6 used to be. I mean I've memerized a good deal of it but it still takes forever to prep. Though my current party all came over from D&D. Though I exsposed some of them to D6 StarWars at GenCon.

12. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    Heh, I went from 2nd ed D&D to SW. Oh, that was fun.

Have worked with a number of different game systems. Haven't done Traveler yet, but so far Hero/Champions was the biggest pain/most complicated, and SW was the quickest and easiest.

13. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    Happy B-Day to me.
    :D

14. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    Happy B-day man!

It's about time the Gamer's got a social thread! I just wish I had people to game with nowadays. :(

15. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
  16. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Hey, happy birthday! :)

17. NJOfan215

May 17, 2003
    happy belated birthday and thanks for the replies

18. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    Well, we're off to a rip-roaring start here.

Thanks to everyone for your good wishes.

Any suggestions for threads we need to add? Maybe even some "Sticky Threads"?

Just thinking/babbling.

:)

19. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Quiet forum, so probably wouldn't need something like an FAQ sticky...but a sticky thread with GM/various internet resources could be useful.

20. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    4.0? I hadn't heard that. What are they gonna change?

Seems like 3.5 works well, I can't imagine what they are gonna do other than add more feats and stuff.

21. Shadowen

Shadowen Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 1999
    My game group has alcohol runs gone horribly wrong. We end up getting like three twelve-packs and the GM getting a little something in a paper bag.

The "horribly wrong" part being that it's thirty-six donuts and a cinnamon twist.

22. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    Ow.
    That sounds even worse than the Misc desert/snacks that I bake for my gaming groups:
    Cookies, brownies, cake, cider, or worse: brownies of deliciously decadent chocolatey death.

for those who are curious:

Brownies of Deliciously Decadent Chocolatey Death:
    Two boxes of brownie mix & necessary ingredients for them.
    2lb bag of chocolate chips
    Peanut Butter (optional)
    Chocolate syrup

Mix brownie mix as directed. Add chips, syrup, and peanut butter. Keep mixing. Bake in large pyrex dish (don't forget to double the time in the oven because you're using twice as much brownie). For gooey-centered brownies, cut 15 minutes from baking time.

Option: instead of peanut butter in the brownie mix, use it as a frosting/topping.

Combined with Jolt cola, and you have a nasty caffine & sugar high. Also a diabetic nightmare.

Use with extreme caution. May cause diets to be ruined.

23. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    I think it will cause diets to be ruined.

24. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    Anyone else got any good recipes for gaming/gamers?

25. DarthNoctambulus

DarthNoctambulus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    HOW TO COOK GAMERS. I mean, HOW TO COOK FOR GAMERS. No! I mean...

I don't know. Everytime we play we consume chips and cheap beer. We're that simple. :)