main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gamer's Social Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Magellan_the_Cat, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Shadowen

Shadowen Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 1999
    I sometimes bring chips (plain tortilla chips, because of the allergies of the GM and the potential of salsa) and cola.

2. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    WHATS UP

Any way cat how old are you?

Do you guys post in any other boards on tfn?

When i'm not too busy whith other stuff, which isn't very often, you can find me on

Lit
    jc community

occasionaly

senate
    3sa

rarely
    eu community
    coms

3. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    I mostly just post on my fanforce board (see sig) and in some other Canadian forums.

4. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    32 years, 7 days, and ~11 hours, as of the time of this posting.

There isn't a fanforce in the area. Well, there is, but it isn't really working out. Hasn't been a post by a member in over a month. I don't have time to resurrect it because I'd rather spend time with my Girlfriend.

5. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Main forum of residence:

Games

Secondary forum:

JCC

Other forums of where I read and post as I feel like it:
    RPG, Lit, Comms

Rarely but still sometimes post in:

FF Maryland, Amphitheatre, Senate, 3NSA.

6. DarthNoctambulus

DarthNoctambulus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    I'm 24. I mainly post at my Fanforce and YJCC, and I sometimes walk around Games, Lit and here.

7. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003

I forgot that i post in the ampatheater once in a while. I haven't been as into posting rescently as a have been in the past.

8. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm beginning to wonder: was I the only person not traumatized by the Sept11 attacks 2 years ago? I made the mistake of trying to listen to the news yesterday, and all they were talking about was the 2 year aniversary/memorial. Oh, and the groundbreaking of the new "Freedom Tower" which is to be 1776 feet tall.

To me, these things are symbols, and I leave symbols to the symbol-minded.

9. DarthNoctambulus

DarthNoctambulus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Well, being a foreigner and all I can safely say I wasn't traumatized. But shocked, yeah, I was shocked.

10. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Well, I was traumatized as I knew people at the Pentagon. Still shocked in regards to New York, but it didn't hit home as much as the local attack for me.

11. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    It was 3 years ago, but I wasn't tramitized at all. Is that bad?

12. Gokuku

Gokuku Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2003
    We have to limit who has Gernades on them cause some people in our group get a little giddy and end up throwing gernades in bars and we end up having to fight whoever is still alive!

13. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    Hmmm, throwing grenades into crowded rooms full of innocent (or at least, non-hostile) sentients. That sounds like some nice dark side points for those characters to work off.

I also had to limit the number of items my players were carrying. the die code of their strenght score determined the number of like items. 3d+2 ment no more than 3 of any item. 3 blasters, 3 melee weapons, 3 grenades, 3 medpacks, 3 pencils. Add a 4th pencil & the character was encumbered and had to subtract 1d from all rolls until s/he dropped the extra pencil.

14. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    Nice way to go about it.

15. Blaise_Marik

Blaise_Marik Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 28, 2002
    it does make things simpler

16. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    For d20 you could make it 2 plus str bonus

17. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    I should put that into affect on my next campaign, as my players are like friggin cargo haulers.

18. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Hmmm, throwing grenades into crowded rooms full of innocent (or at least, non-hostile) sentients. That sounds like some nice dark side points for those characters to work off.

Heh. One of my players doesn't concern himself all that much with darkside points. Even though I hand them out generously for his mis-deeds.

Already he has racked up like 7-8 DSP, and he doesen't have a care in the world, for he planned all along not to be a Force using character.

"All that attribute loss stuff won't have any effect on me!"

Fair enough. To put insult to his own self-inflicting injury, I had a Force user in game tell him at the appropriate point in the story that the force was strong with him.

I gave him the option of receiving the Force sensitive feat for free.

He even had a chance at possible training. I can still hear him now: " But my number of DSP is..."

Poor bastard.

19. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Lol!!! That's gold man! [face_laugh]

20. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is going to be horrible. Not only does it violate my law about music in trailers, but it is OPENING at the Almaden 5, a bargain cinema.
    Every other movie I've seen that opened there was awful. Like Halloween H2O. Yeah.
    This movie is going to blow.

Hope nobody had high hopes.

21. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    Blithe that was a great way to make the character think twice.

22. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    I dunno, Cat. It's playing in one of the biggest theaters in town over here.

23. Shadowen

Shadowen Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 1999
    Indeed. I don't know how it got to your bargain theater. Maybe the studio is trying some sort of crazy plan to get it to as many screens as possible, including bargain screens. They might not make as much money, but the bargain screens would fill up fast, anyway...

Sort of like, "Better a sure covering of the budget than a $400 million take that may not ever happen."

Or something.

24. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    I think its fairly risky doing all the sets in CG... we'll see how that flies with people.

25. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    My girlfriend dragged me to see it. (I owe her penence).

It sucked. There was no character definition. No explanation of why 1/2 of the movie was there. Cheezy wanna-be StarWars, wannabe Indianna Jones, wannabe anything, but accomplished nothing.

Interesting note: That soft, fuzzy look was used mainly in an attempt to hide the bad greenscreen. It failed. Whenever they didn't have greenscreen, the focus is crisp and sharp.

What kind of plane are they supposed to be using? It has elements of Spitfire, Mustang, and Hurricane, but doesn't actually match any of them. (That, and the fact that it's somehow a 2-seater).

Not only did they desecrate the memory and image of Sir Lawrence Olivier for a few token scenes for the sake of trying for a few extra $, but they did it badly: it's almost completely impossible to recognize him.

The most likeable character is the inventer sidekick, who is treated like a dog. "Good Boy, Dex." In the end, his performance becomes on par with the token technical expert extra on StarTrek: THe Next Generation.
    Gwenyth Paltrow is at best mediocre. She delivers an entire expository speech after a few seconds of flipping through a briefcase in a fairly deadpan monotone. Amazing what she was able to learn in those few seconds.

Giant robots smashing up the city are cool, but why are they doing it? No explanation offered.
    Giant Sword was also neat, but it was a throw-away prop.
    As for the climax and the big badguy's motivation... There are so many holes in that idea that a kindergartener could rip the sceme to pieces.

Some movies are so bad that they have redeaming humor value. This is not one of them.
    It is not only bad, it is unmemmorable. I expect a kindergardener could have written a better script, too.

I always get nervous when I see a DeLaurentis is involved in production. Flash Gordon, Red Sonya, Firestarter, ... the list of bad movies they've produced goes on and on and on...

Final Grade: D-