main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gamer's Social Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Magellan_the_Cat, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Well, railroads and monty hauls are big traps for beginning GMs. hopefully he'll get better. Until then, try to help him improve, and exercise patience. Even if you need to express your patience by slamming a hammer into his skull.

2. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    The problem is that while he CAN be creative and think on his feet, he doesn't seem willing to follow it through. Anything outside of his plans of what he had in mind for us to do is simply a very short detour to get us back on track.

Players are supposed to have either control over what happens to their characters, right? Either in reality or just an illusion.

This is the last week before I get back in the chair and I'm teaming up with one of the good players at the table (she can be used as a confederate) in a sort of Force-training roleplay thing which could be cool and make the session worthwhile...that is if he doesn't rush us and interfere with our character development! [face_plain]

3. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Why don't you start a new thread on this problem? I have a feeling this is a semi-common problem and it would be great to have it separate as a resource to other players. I've been wanting to work on a new index of threads, and this would be a great one for it.

4. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Perhaps in "GM Support Hotline" ?

5. hothie

hothie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2004
    Yes, the Corellian Wine and Carbon material. Both were of course stored in crates. Well, 1 person can't carry it by herself so she had to drag it. At that point, I chimed in with the joke of the week: "So does that mean you're "Crate Draggin?" (say it out loud, it will make more sense...:)

6. buellsmith

buellsmith Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2009

It was really funny, if i was tracking experience, i would have given you bonus points. There was another pun.. that you came up with but i cant seem to remember it. something about mothra...

oh well.

The game was really really fun and it was a blast gming. I couldn't have wished for a greater group of players. No appologies about going off topic, its all fun and I love the randomness of it.

-justin

7. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Ok, so am I the only one sick to death of all of the hype surrounding Michael Jackson's death? I don't give a flying fig-newton! He was a sick freak, a rellic of his own childhood and an age of music I don't actually like, and not just that good a singer. I don't care that he's dead. I really, really, really don't. So enough already. It was old news before his corpse was cold. I haven't been this disgusted with media coverage since Princess Di was splashed across the front pages and a french tunnel.
    I happen to think George Carlin contributed far more to society, and he was never accused of molesting children. His death barely got mentioned.
    And Eartha Kitt? Someone who actually was talented and kept a career in music for 60+ years... How much coverage did she get? 2 days? 3?

8. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    I think the English Radio 1 DJ Chris Moyles said it best, I'm paraphrasing but it was along the lines of "He's my generation's Elvis", and that's pretty well true.

It's probably different in America because the music scene is a lot different to what it is in the UK, but I grew up with the "Making of Thriller" video on at least once a week and me dancing behind the sofa. I'm only in my 20's so I didn't grow up with the Jackson 5 to add to that legacy, and I got into other music by the time Earth Song / Scream and the other stuff I don't like so much came out.

I also don't know what the media coverage since his death has been like in the US, but knowing what the big news channels are like in the US I imagine it's dragged out and awful as hell. It's pretty much stopped here in the UK, but I know what you mean and agree with you Koohii, some things do get over-egged, badly...

It's only because they'd rather talk about that then crooked politicians, swine flu, the Afghan war, etc...

9. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Seems like they make a daily bulletin of "Today the police are investigation WWWWWW" or "No word yet on the police investigation of WWWWWW. Meanwhile, they are also looking into GGGGGG" followed by "No official release concerning WWWWWW or GGGGGG, but we think they will soon...." And so on.
    I have more respect for announcements or reminders of Mickey Mouse's birthday.

10. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Meh. I always prefered Donald over Mickey.

But the midea isn't letting the story die as they still think it's newsworthy.

Did a little inprov DMing on the weekend, though we had to stop watching when Serenity came on.

11. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I am just coming from a revive of our old d6 p&p group and I must say I forgot how much fun it is to get together with some friends and have a good ride . . . GM was brilliant and characters were having good dynamic . . .

It is addictive to play, it really is.

12. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Still selling off my SW action figure collection on eBay. The more I sell, the more I discover I can do without. Just don't need them any more. And they've been taking up a lot of space.
    The money doesn't hurt. Ok, that some items sell for as little as they do hurts a bit considering what I paid for them 5 years ago, but so be it.

13. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004
    Wow, it's been a while since I've been in this section of the boards. How is everyone?

14. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Doing well, if a little busy. You?

15. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I'm getting into a little D&D 4e. That's allowed here, right?

16. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004
    Decent enough, college is cutting down on my board time though.

17. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    I'd hope so as I haven't been playing any SW rpgs for a few years now and I still lurk and post here :p

18. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    :eek:

Release the hounds!

19. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    I'm still around, just some RL crap to deal with and as CR trying to keep my fanforce afloat :(

20. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Yup, you can even make threads on other RPGs. I cleared this with Dajuan. Have at it!

21. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I've been enjoying running a Legacy-era campaign and geekin' out over the Complete Atlas. Oh, and RL also...

22. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Flare is correct.

Hothie and I bought the Atlas the day it came out, that is a really beautiful book. Lots of fun!

23. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I couldn't help laughing when I got my ticket for the theatre last night (went to see Dealer's Choice) that my seat was number 20 in row D.

You can't avoid it, can you?

24. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    We played a module called "Shadow of Ashenport" or something similar last couple sessions. One of the biggest features of the module was that there was constantly "difficult terrain", which meant that everyone except the eladrin with the super-movement feat was essentially stuck in the mud--sometimes litterally. We thought a bit about it after the game and figured that was the element we all liked the least, and we tried to come up with better solutions. On the off chance someone thinks of running that module, I'd like to offer the following suggestion: Instead of the constant difficult terrain that the monsters are all immune to, how about, given all the rain, there is a steady current of running water through the cobblestone streets that slide everyone 2 (3 if they're in the middle of the street) toward the ocean/pier. That way, even dwarves with their resist 1 immovability are affected, and people can still move. The monsters and townsfolk would be used to the effect and either immune or able to resist, or to make maximum tactical advantage. People slide at either the end of their turn (just before making saving throws) or at a set point in the initiative order.

25. Koohii

May 30, 2003