main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gamer's Social Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Magellan_the_Cat, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Kinda scary--our group's gaming history is old enough to be almost out of highschool, drinking and driving.

2. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Question for the old-timer D&D gamers:
    I'm painting my friends minis, and came across something I recognize, but can't name. Looks like a slug that tries to pretend it's a beholder as some sort of low-light camoflage. Anyone know what it is called or which book it's from?

3. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Gas Spore. from AD&D 1e Monster Manual original:

[image=http://www.headinjurytheater.com/images/gas%20spore%20omg%20the%20hell.jpg]

It specifically looks like a Beholder, but explodes in a rain of acid when you hit it. Maybe your "slug" is actually the liquid erupting out?

The only other one I can think of is the Eye of the Deep, I think it was in AD&D 1e Fiend Folio. It looks like a Beholder, but is aquatic with two crab like arms.

Those are the only two things I can think of that look like Beholders. Post a pic?

4. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Nope, neither of those. slug part has antenae. probablly not a monster the party is likely to run into.

Will post a pic later.

5. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    So, here's the mini of the critter I couldn't identify. Any ideas?

[image=http://www.elasticsmiledesign.info/artprojects/rtvmolds/slug1.jpg]

[image=http://www.elasticsmiledesign.info/artprojects/rtvmolds/slug2.jpg]

Any one?

6. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    lol wtf is that. I know my monsters well but...I have no idea. Let me think about it a bit

7. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    I saw something like that in an old GitP strip... Cannot for the life of me remember and I can't flip thru all 700+ right now, but it'd be in the first book.

8. KudosDas

KudosDas Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2005
    I remember correctly the Order of the Stick game (and strip like RB said) has something like that when they refer to outdated monsters...not sure if they actually give any names though...

EDIT: This might be the strip you're thinking of Berx

9. KudosDas

KudosDas Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2005
  10. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    It was either that series or one of the "wandering monsters" strips...

11. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    ask on enworld, they count id it in a second

12. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    enworld?

13. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Enworld. I used to use their site for stats and some other stuff I can't recall right now.

14. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Those guys are D&D experts

15. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Well, no one has answered yet.

<sigh> I'm a landlord. Most of the time, this requires little to no effort on my part. Every once in a while, I have to be a rat ___. Just had to tell a tenant to pay up or move out. She moved out. Just got home from looking at the mess...
    Don't even know where to begin. Stiffing me on the rent (above and beyond the deposit) is one thing, but basic cleaning (and I do mean basic) is a necessity. If you can't pay the rent because you don't have a job, there's no excuse for not doing keeping house between job searching.

She left a packed refridgerator, a damaged bigscreen TV, a table, and garbage. I mean garbage. There was a pile of used kitty litter by the door. There were bags of trash just left where they were (the dumpster wasn't full, so no excuse for not just taking them in the back and tossing them. And the damage... Stupid stuff! Photos can be made available for those of strong constitution.

On the plus side, she left a whole bunch of gaming books behind, some brand new, some just in excellent condition. An old Avalon Hill game called "Wizards Quest", mech warrior and battletech, brand new box of dominos, some pirates of the carribean ships (3 boxes full), books galore, CDs (mostely not my taste, but that's what the used music store is for), some alchohol for my friends, a pretty good looking table, and even some old 1st ed D&D.

16. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Awesome score Koo. Too bad to hear about the bad tenant... probably just trashed the place to be a dink before moving. :rolleyes:

I used to manage an apartment with my dad (more like care-taking) and even though we didn't collect the rent and weren't responsible for kicking ppl out, tenants would take out their issues with the landlord on us by leaving as big a mess as possible before they left. We were more than fair with people and were very courteous, but some people you just can't reason with.

17. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    So far, no one has been able to answer, out of 30+ people checking it out.

So, more trophies. Spent the day cleaning the disgusting mess. Packed all the garbage left in the living room up, TSP mopped the walls and ceiling. Ripped up the carpeting (it was toast thanks to neglect and territory marking cats) and have most of the padding up--all those bloody staples take forever. Have to make some basic repairs to the subfloor, then I can get to work on that. Will be able to paint Monday or Tuesday. The way this place is, you have to have one room done to act as a staging area, then move out. Dumpster is full. Homeless guy was picking through the recycle for cans and whatever, offered to help, and was very happy when I asked him to empty out the refridgerator and freezer. Let him have any of the technobaubles and junk too. Seemed like a fair deal to me.
    Ripped up the hallway carpet and part of one of the bedrooms. Going to have to TSP the walls and sealing, shelack/seal the flooring, put some paint down for extra protection, then get the new carpet installed. The hallway, entry hall, and living room are all getting hardwood laminate. SO much easier to keep clean, generally cheaper, and easy to maintain/repair. Looking forward to tomorrows game.

Trophies: coffee grinder, file cabinet(metal), bottle of Bacardi Rum, 2 bottles of pumpkin ale (?), some classic D&D 1st ed, couple modules look almost new, desk lamp that doubles as a flashlight, unopenned bag of Peet's Coffee, and more books!

18. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I got to watch a shuttle launch!!!

19. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Quiet here lately.
    I've been busy cleaning (see previous posts) but that's no reason for everyone else to slack off.

20. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    It's summer. The whole JCF usually slacks off this time of year, but I still check everyday. I'm a CR after all. :)

But not much going on in real life. It's been pretty quiet and stable considering I'm barely ekeing out a living in this crap economy right now. Living off of government money isn't good for the ol' pride, but I need a short break from the grind of utterly pointless jobs (and believe me I know a pointless job when I see it). I wanna get something where I know I'm making a difference when I go into work. I just don't know what that is yet...

21. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Summer? not for 3 weeks yet!
    It's been pretty dead around here for a long time though. Kinda sad.

22. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Sorry I've been gone.
    My system was hacked by a very insidious virus called "AntiMalWare Security", which poses as a security tool to try to convince you that it is helpful. Part of it's nastiness is that it floods your computer with annoying adds from the internet not as pop ups, but as audio files. Then it says 'hey, your system is infected. Run this to fix it', but of course your account is out of date, and you need to re-register and pay the $. Some hacker in russia or china needs to have his intestines boiled inside his stomache while still alive (the way William Wallace really died). And then of course, it sabotages all legitimate programs, and even makes support sites like PCTools inaccessible. There were several online sites that tell you how to remove the virus, but almost all of them have a 'run this download' which tries to access PCTools.com, which is still blocked. Whoever wrote this thing probablly figured out how to make it more annoying.
    And another virus piggy-backed in called "AV Security" which of course was just more mallicious garbage, but written by someone with poor English skills who had several grammatical errors in his forged pop-ups.
    So, after numerous attempts to correct the problem failed, I was forced to reformat and am working on putting all the software back on my computer. Lost almost all my old email and saved information--including a number of my online passwords to various merchants, all my address book info, and everything else that Outlook is used for.
    Fortunately, I'd transfered all of my other personal files onto an external storage drive about a year ago. Unfortunately, I have to quarentine it all until I can run a secure scan.
    So, now you know what I'm doing for the rest of the week.

23. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    There's a post about a problem couple on the WotC board that sounds very similar to the situation our group was running into. I put in my $.02 and had to laugh.

24. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    OK, it has been almost a week, and I'm still angry about it, so here's this week's rant.

Watched the Spelling Bee finals on Sunday. Talk about painful.
    First of all, they saddle the presentation with two ass-halves acting as commentators. Now, we live in the era of TV: a visual medium. There is no longer any need whatsoever for commentators. NONE. In the days when Radio was the primary media, fine, people couldn't see for themselves what was happening. Sadly, we still have this relic of a bygone age plaguing competition presentation. So, they aren't necessary. They spend about 2 minutes after each commercial break pontificating nonsense, and trying to make it sound like some athletic sport, which is demeaning to the spellers, and glorifying jocks, so that's a twofer on the reasons I found them obnoxious. Supposedly one of them was a contestant 20 years ago, but honestly, who cares. What makes them even more obnoxious than all that is the fact they interrupt the actual event by talking over the contestants and judges. Great, now I can't even hear the contest because of these over-zealous ejaculating pustules from humanity's hemeroids. Then, as a true sign of their intellect, right before the final word, we have the rules clarification "If she spells this word correct, we have a new champion. If not, the other 4 are back in and we start again." correct_LY!!!!! It's adverbial form dumbass! correct_LY_. You should have learned that in 7th grade.

Now, for the actual presentation, it followed the form of commentators mouthing off for 2 minutes, filler segment about the kids' backgroun ds (which I didn't actually mind), spell one word, filler on second contestand, 2nd word, commercial break, repeat. Actual time for the contest should have beenabout 45 minutes. with all the filler, advertising, and other garbage, it was 90 minutes. Two words, take a break. two words, take a break. And the contest stops for the commercials. The kids and judges are just sitting there. They have to wait while the commercials run and the 'commentators' flap their gumms and disgorge verbal diarhea.
    How annoying is that? Imagine a football game where, during the commercials, the players take off their helmets and just sit on them in the field until the ref gives them the signal to get ready again.

Honestly, when I want to watch a competition, I want to watch a competition. No commentators, no backstage shenanigans, just show me the important stuff.

Let's hear it for Stromuhl!

25. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    My dad got that AntiMalWare, its very bad. I dont even know how...he doesn't download anything. It really is a persistent one.

I managed to find a removal technique that worked on another computer, but it wasn't easy