Games Discussion/Suggestions

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by TheBoogieMan, Aug 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    This thread is for general discussion on the games side of this forum. You may use this thread to suggest improvements to games hosted in Census and Games, or to put forward your own suggestion for a game and have it critiqued by regular users and the forum mod. This thread can also be used for discussion between current game hosts.

Current Census And Games games are as follows, with the host underneath:

The Comic Book Draft Episode IV: A New Mutant
    DarthIntegral

Let's Play Mafia....
    Mr.Neck or Yarael Poof

The Box Office Game
    Moleman1138

The JC House Cup: Version 14
    Mara-Jade-Skywalker

I will be contacting all game hosts so that they see this thread, because a pressing issue needed for their attention has just cropped up on the JC. Users now have the ability to change their timezone. The problems this presents for game hosts should be obvious: we can now no longer assuredly base games on "board time".

There are several solutions for this. One: we could simply continue to use "board time", and make participants do the math. Two: for quicker games, we could institute methods like "votes must be in within 24 hours after this post".

The MS recommends the first option, but of course it is up to individual hosts. I'd like all game hosts to check in and post their thoughts and get some discussion going to help the other hosts who may not be so certain./>
  2. Skiara ~• Manager WNU •~ ~• RSA FFC •~

Manager
    star 10
    (Thanks, Dan! :) )

Hello everyone! :)
    I'm the current game host of the trivia game at the FF Community.

I have some difficulties about the new option about changing the time zones, because in my game I post the questions at a certain time and day and the answers have to be back in within the next 72 hours (yep, long time, but it is for 10 questions and it is a team game). So I wonder if it is ok (especially for new users) to keep it like it is - saying the game starts at 8am boardtime or if we have to say Pacific time or what else.

I would like to know your thoughts about this problem. :)
  3. Kyptastic VIP

star 5
    Is it possible to keep this board always set at one time, even with user preferences, to keep games running smoothly?
  4. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm afraid not, Kyp. That would be just too easy. :p
  5. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    A simple, boardwide solution, would be to "install" a boardtime clock (if you could call it that) in the header of all the forums. I've always wanted one of them anyway. That way, no matter what time you run on, you can always have a base time to compare to with ease and simplicity. It would also erase any game problems relating to what time the host may post things.

But I realise that it is wishful thinking and not something anyone has control over barring zerosleep. So I'll leave the game hosts to their thread. ;)
  6. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    We can change our timezone? Finally! This is a feature I've wanted since day 1 of being registered here.

Doesn't really bother me since all the games I play are of the 'PM/post before 24 hours have elapsed.'

Edit: Pfft, it's lame. Says we're on daylight savings when we're not, so everything is an hour out.
  7. Mr.Neck or Yarael Poof Manager Emeritus

star 5
    We're already using the "votes must be in within 24 hours after this post" method, so it really shouldn't be much of a problem for the Mafia game.
  8. Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I don't think the timezone changing will be a problem for the House Cup. I've been putting the final deadline time in Pacific and Eastern time (midnight/3 am) for a while now so people should already know when the game ends in their time. If not, they can figure it out fairly easily, so I won't really have to modify the game because of this change. ;)
  9. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    For Box Office, it's pretty much a set time. 8AM EST or equivalent in your time zone. I don't have a problem with the time zone issue, but I think as long as everyone can do the time zone math it shouldn't be a problem.
  10. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    The Comic Book draft shouldn't/won't be effected. Any "time limits" are 24 hours, and not hinged on the board time and board clock. I pretty much just make a note to myself and use my own local time anyways.
  11. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I always thought it was 8AM Board Time? :confused:
  12. Skiara ~• Manager WNU •~ ~• RSA FFC •~

Manager
    star 10
    I love this idea and it would be perfect. Is there any way to suggest something like this to zerosleep through the mods, please? Even if the chance is really slim. :)

So everyone is using the "24 hours" time limit or stay with the pacific time?

What do you think? Would it be ok for the game host of other time zones than pacific time to use their own? For new user and new players it shouldn't be a big difference between figuring out how much they ahead/behind pacific or game-host's time zone. :confused:
  13. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Of course. I don't like the chances of it happening, but I'll certainly suggest it. :)
  14. Skiara ~• Manager WNU •~ ~• RSA FFC •~

Manager
    star 10
  15. Darth_Falcon Force Ghost

star 5
    The CT Trivia game is simply you have 48 hours to answer from the time the host posts the question. Having your own personal time zone setting actually would help in this instance as far as I'm concerned. For example, if you lived in a different time zone, you'd have to check the time the question was posted and then go to your favourites page to work out approximately what time it was at that instant and calculate accordingly. Now it's just a matter of seeing the time the host posted (in your time) and then looking at your computer clock and doing a little simple maths, which unless you lived in board time zone, you had to do anyway.

The biggest problem I see, again in terms of the CT Trivia, is when sign ups begin. Generally, the host would say sign ups start day at board time. Of course this can be easily fixed by the host saying sign ups start approx in so many hours from this post.
  16. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    You're right conor. 8AM Board Time (PST) 11AM EST
  17. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The SFF: Films and TV Trivia game isn't really affected by this new option being added. The participants have 48 hours to submit their answer after each question is posted. So it shouldn't be that difficult.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.