main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games Forum Thread Index, FAQ and Suggestion Box

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 28, 2006.

1. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I'm too shy [face_worried]

2. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Well we're here if you need us.

3. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I can't find the Mass Effect thread...I was sure there was one...I've looked through several pages...am I just blind? :confused:

4. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I don't think you are blind. It should be in the first few pages. At least it was when we moved...I'll look into it.

5. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
  6. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    @PrincessKenobi--What's the truncation issue? Is it the thing where I go to the last page and there's no posts at all?

7. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    It seems that some threads after a certain amount of pages those post disappear. We're working on a fix for it. Hopefully it will be soon. But there are a lot of threads where post just don't exist. It's the same with missing post and dates in post history at the moment. Also if a post has more then 10,000 characters the rest of the post is non existent. Which that is more of an issue in fan fic.

8. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    Should I a) wait for this to be fixed b) post in the thread anyway or c) start a new thread?

9. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    Well that's up to you. If you start a new thread. We can always merge it once the old ones get fixed. Or attempt to post in it anyway. But I'd probably go with the merge option, just to play it safe.

10. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    Okay, I'll make a new one tomorrow, maybe. See if the itch to post and discuss is still there.

11. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    One for the suggestion box - a Kickstarter thread for pointing out game we may like to fund.

12. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Hi! I would like to suggest we have a thread prefix specifically for Star Wars games. I just see so many threads on the first page about SW video games that it might be useful and I imagine we'll see more as we get new users due to the new movies coming out. Thoughts?

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm not opposed to the suggestion, but my main concern would be if there'd be enough current SW games to warrant it. Currently we've only had 7 SW game threads active within the last month or so, and not even half were very active.

There's bound to be more games as we get closer to the movies, but with things seeming to gravitate towards more multiplatform releases (ie: don't have to worry about a thread for an XB exclusive, a Wii U exclusive & a PS3 exclusive, just one thread for the game in general) and the increased development time for AAA (or even AA) titles, I don't think they'd be in any danger of getting drowned out by the other game threads or the other game threads getting drowned out by them.

But, I could be wrong. I think we should wait and see what kind of releases (in terms of quantity) are aimed for 2014/2015 , and judge from there.

14. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I already sent this to you guys in a PM because I did not see this thread.

I was wondering if I could start a new series of threads call Game of the Week. The threads would include recentally released games on a poll on top and people couild discuss their favorite game of the week below. Also if it is popular enough we could have Game of the Month contest or even further on Game of the Quarter then Game of the Year.

Travel of the game of the Year.

Game of the Week Compitition
    Goes Againist 1 to 3 other games.
    |
    Game of the of Month
    Goes Againist 2 to 4 other games (depends on how many weeks in the month)
    |
    Game of the Quarter
    Goes Against 2 other Games
    |
    Game of the Year
    Goes Against 3 other Games to become the Game of the Year

I do not know if the Game Boards already has something like this but I think it is a cool idea.

15. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Prefix suggestions:
    I think it would cool to have a MOBILE prefix to discuss games only available on mobile devices.

In addition to VIDEO, it would be cool to have separate ones for Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo, unless you think it would look too cluttered. A new game on multiple platforms would get the VIDEO prefix, but then Mario Kart, for example, would get the Nintendo prefix.

Lastly, I'd like to suggest a DISCUSSION prefix for general discussions.

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    One current problem is we can't double-tag threads. We've been having discussions with the Fan Fic mods on that subject since the Disney EU announcement. There is a plug-in available that handles double-tagging but it won't work on our current Xenforo release. I could see the MOBILE prefix being useful but I think splitting VIDEO down could get messy. Under your scenario, a user searching for Nintendo topics would not see the threads tagged with VIDEO. Not sure if we have enough cross-platform (i.e Video, card, etc) discussions to warrant that tag.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, there's not really enough threads for each platform to need to break Video up.

Due to the double tagging issue LAJ described, with so many games being third party multiplat, there's not going to be exclusives left over outside of maybe Nintendo since that platform is still heavy on them- and most if those are pretty easy to find the threads for.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  18. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Double tags would be neat, but it wasn't what I was looking that. Personally, when I see "Video", it makes me think of YouTube or a movie, not video games, so seeing the specific company I thought might have been more appealing.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Understandable- it's just unwieldy to spell out "Video Games" in a tag.

20. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
  21. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I was just thinking the same thing.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Thing is "VG" is ultimately less informative to casual users than "video" is. When taken in context with the other tags, one can at least understand Video's function (ie "Video" Games, "Board" Games, "RPG" Games, "Card" Games, etc).

It's not a flawless system but it's easy to decipher.

23. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    How about the Star Wars tag I suggested a while back? I mean, just look at the first page.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Again, lack of double tagging prevents that- the best you would get us a jumble of SW VGs, BGs, TCGs and RPGs.

25. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Any more thoughts on the [MOBILE] tag?