main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Games of the XXXI Olympiad - Official Rio Summer Olympics (8/5-21) Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    JCC mods: I did not see a thread on this and I don't remember how discussion normally goes during Olympic years, so lock/modify as needed.

I thought we could include trials from all countries and all sports so my running and swimming talk need not be limiting. :p

Anyone watching the trials? I watched some of the marathon this afternoon.

http://www.runnersworld.com/olympic...lanagan-claim-spots-on-womens-us-olympic-team

Glad Linden made it given that she had to bail in London in 2012 due to injury.

2. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Finally an Olympic thread. Wonder where the 2024 games will be?

3. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    I don't know if I should ask you this in here, if not i'm sorry, But I am generally curious as to where you would stand on this issue. should a transgender be able to compete in their genders events, say Kaitlyn Jenner wanted to compete in a woman's event.I don't know what the Olympic rules would be in that case now.

4. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I know 3 kids who qualified for Olympic trials in swimming. One is only a freshman (Minnesota). One is a junior at Columbia and the other is a Junior at Iowa. Two of them swam and played water polo with my son in high school. The other one I've known since he was born. Unfortunately, none of these three is going to the Olympics this time. Would not be surprised if the youngest one makes it eventually. He's a phenomenon.

5. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    The US women will probably have a gold rush again. They usually dominate team events especially. I can see them getting gold in beach-volleyball, indoor volleyball, gymnastics , water-polo, Basketball ,and soccer again.

6. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    The 18 year old swimming qualifier I know is about the 5th best 18 and under freestyle sprinter in the U.S. When he's 22-23 he could very well have a shot, but unfortunately not this year.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes.

Rew likes this.
  8. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    The judges will be biased towards Brazil in both V ball tornaments. IOC wants no riots. V ball rivals soccer in popularity in Brazil.

9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    judges don't have a lot of say in volleyball. they could miss a few calls, but it's not like it's gymnastics or something. wonder if logan tom will be there.

10. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    So any predictions on the 2024 games? LA? Paris?

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  12. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Northwestern University student Jordan Wilimovsky will be swimming the lesser-known open water 10k event for team U.S.A.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    The former rule was that you can pretty much be whatever you say you are, but if you want to be a female your testosterone levels had to be below a certain level and you will be tested regularly. However, IIRC, that rule was overruled by a Court of Arbitration, so I believe we are back to you are whatever you say you are.

There is an individual who will be competing as a female runner and is widely expected to win gold who has no womb, no ovaries and has internal testicles. If you ask me, it's unfair to women athletes that they have to compete against an individual who, you know, has the male sex organ which produces testosterone, but women's track is hardly something I care about in the slightest.

14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Hey anakinfansince1983, if you don't mind, I'm going to go ahead and make this the 2016 Olympic Games thread.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  17. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The end of that article points out that we hear this sort of thing every Olympics.

But, if my memory serves me correctly, I think it usually comes from NOT the host country. A bit odd to have the host country saying it.

18. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Inty is right. Financial issues are a common thread for all contemporary Olympic games.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The health concerns are scarier.

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  21. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    The incomparable KATIE LEDECKY!

[​IMG]

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Man, she's terrible at this... look at how much smaller her number is than the others!

solojones and Rylo Ken like this.
  23. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Katie "my event seed time is a world record" Ledecky

Juliet316 and dp4m like this.
  24. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Katie- so close to another world record tonight in the 400m. On to Rio!

25. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    My friend's son was a mere 4 spots out from making the semifinal cut for the 100 m free - .3 seconds out of the money. Fantastic for an 18 year old; he's nicely lined up for 2020 Olympics if he can keep improving.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.